1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a new CPU help?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bouf0010, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an ATI 5870 cause i was able to get it for 180$. So now I am running trifire (5870 + 2X 5850(flashed to 5870s), but its shown negative improvements in most games.

I ran some benchmarks on crysis, BatmanAA, Dirt2, MafiaII, Metro 2033, etc... and found that I would get a 50-100% improvement from single gpu to CF, but as soon as I ran trifire, i would lose about 5-10 fps.

I get almost perfect scaling in the Heaven benchmark, and my score went way up in all 3DMarks.

Now i read a lot about CPU bottleneck a while back when i only had CF, i OCd my CPU from 3.4 to 4.08 and saw improvements, but i cant push my cpu any higher.

I am willing to eventually upgrade my CPU and mobo, but i havent had these cards for very long (bought the 5850s 5 months back) and would like to hang on to them for at least a year. Would a new CPU such as 1090T or any of the high end i7s help a lot?? or is it just due to the fact that trifire scales poorly?

Sorry if this thread seems all over the place but im just trying to find a way to utilize trifire better.

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, you did cut the board's PCIe bandwidth from x16/x16 to x8/x8/x8.

That and yeah, a Phenom II 1090T should do you some good.

The price just went down, so it will help.

Also, 5870 for $180 ... wtf? I'm also assuming that's in Canadian dollars since you list yourself from Borden, Ontario.

deltatux

3. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    x16/x16 to x16/x8/x8, but i was at that before cause i had a gts450 in there for physx.
    Ya $180CDN, is that too much?? i thought it was a steal. So a 1090 would sufficient or would i still get some performance gains with an i7?

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    x8 @ 2.0 is enough for even 580 gtxs

a 5970 running in x8 @ 2.0 shows a little bit of saturation in benches

Getting a 1090 would mean you will get improvements in games that are very multithreaded 5-6 threads atleast, and get almost nill improvement in games that are not ( would still help with the driver overhead going from 2 to 3 cards ).

Better wait for someone tri firing with a 1090 cpu who can test out some of the games on your list, I strongly doubt it will be enough though.

5. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    thanks! yeah i guess ill have to wait and see...

anyone out there running trifire with a 1090T??

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    What games use 5-6 threads? As far as I know, there currently are none...

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    bc2 uses 8 threads fully.

Other applications would be pure software, perhaps re5 uses 4-5 threads aswell.

My point is that the x6 core is not that hot, it is a phenom x4 with a x2 put on the die basically :)

I think what the op needs is something that is stronger clock / clock and not just have more cores wich is pointless unless the applications he run ( games ) are made with it in mind.

But as I said more cores will help with the overhead involving 2 -> 3 cards.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  8. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    So more cores wouldnt be useful, id be much better off with a multithreaded 4 core?

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what you can flash 5850`s to 5870`s???

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    wtf as in, how the hell were you able to get it for C$180 lol, that's such a low price lol.

Well, your board supports hexacores, and it'll be much cheaper for you to just pop a hexacore than go Core i7.

Do note that even though Core i7 does have SMT (or what they call "HyperThreading"), it tends to not give the extra performance for the price you're paying in real world situations. Also, SMT performance is application dependent. Most of the time, it doesn't do anything to bump performance.

deltatux

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Core efficiency, is more important than core count. Most applications use 2-4 threads...which makes a Hexa-Core processor rather pointless. It becomes more pointless when it's inefficient. Also, if 2 or more cores are inactive...they don't improve performance.

12. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    yeah a buddy of mine has a friend that works for ATI so hes constantly getting new stuff, hence the cheap price of the 5870.

When you flash a 5850 to a 5870 it only changes the voltages and clocks.

Putting price aside though, i just want to see my GPUs above the 70% mark when trifiring. My current set up, i only see max 50% per GPU. If hexacore allows me to see higher, more efficient usage, then i will go with that.

But can those extra 2 cores help with utilizing my GPUs? Lets say 4 cores are used for the actual processing of the game but all 6 are used to make my GPUs work together, does that make any sense? is that how it could work?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A single thread can only be run on a single core....so, unless the driver thread(s) have a dedicated core....the extra processors cores won't directly effect the graphics cards.

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If a game uses 4 cores (rare still for today sadly), then the other two cores will be used by the operating system to delegate background tasks or to offload the load incurred by the software that can fully use 4 cores on to the other 2 cores to make the workload more balanced.

It won't boost any direct help to the GPU.

deltatux

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    What kind of resolution are we talking about ? Also what kind of fps are you getting ?

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080Ti FE
    Your problem lies with CF drivers. They suck and have always sucked. I gave up on them myself after a while. Through personal experience i find nvidias SLI drivers to scale much better - even when using 3-way SLI.

If i were u i'd consider switching GPU brands

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    As with anything....individual results will vary....but it's very well known that Crossfire and SLI are both very CPU and driver dependent. In the OP's case...Crossfire performance would be impacted more by lack of CPU performance than anything at this point.

Flaming ATI/AMD or their drivers....doesn't solve any problems. Just proves the poster's own ignorance.

18. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O
    1920x1080. Lets take crysis for example. Very High Settings AAx16Q DX10...

single GPU (5870) AVG 34 FPS
    Dual GPU (5870+5850 850/1200) AVG 48 FPS
    Triple GPU (5870+2x5850 850/1200) AVG 42 FPS

i get very similar results with other games, scaling wise.

19. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    970 GTX
    Crisis like two cores not 4 and likes faster cores.
    People that say a game can FULLY utilize 4 or more cores have not had task manager open to the performance screen while playing said game.
    10 to 25% cpu useage is not optimizing anything.

Look you are having the same problem many others who have tried 3 gpu's have. Your price to performance scaling doesn't jutify spending any more money to make the third card help you. You already know it hurt you and your wallet.
    An I7 platform is generally a better gaming platform for high end sli systems but again your cost would not justify it.

My advise is to sell the third card (5850) and get back to higher frame rates.

Or... sell both 5850's and run two 5870's:)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  20. Mv740

Mv740 Member Guru

GPU:
    580 GTX SLI
    I say find a cpu that can overclock extremely well whether its amd or intel. I just reach 4.0ghz on my cpu. Im getting 40 to 80+ fps in crysis highest settings 8xaa lowest fps I got was 33fps and thats was 15 A.I shooting me all at the same time of course I had cheats on xD