1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a 9700k be enough for next gen gaming?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by SerotoNiN, Aug 14, 2019.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I know the systems aren't out yet, but it seems they're getting specs released already. I have a quad core now and I know both systems will be going octo core, so I need to upgrade to keep up.

Will a 9700k cpu be enough? I know I'll have to upgrade the GPU next year. But if I can grab a cpu/mobo now and be ready, that would be nice. Any suggestions?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    The consoles will use 8c/16t cpus next year so basically i would build up on that. A 9900k or Ryzen 7 3700X(3800X) would be a better choise.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    i'd say if you don't need it yet, don't upgrade it yet, you may get a better deal when you do.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Agree, 8core sounds nice now. But still not needed yet, unless you stream and do a lot of video editing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:34 AM
    insp1re2600, Caesar and SerotoNiN like this.

5. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Consoles 8c/16t are only "specs" of new upcoming ones (it's obvious for next gen consoles to make performance meet upcoming requirements in the unforeseen future) .........

.........CPU cores refer to the actual hardware component. Threads refer to the virtual component that manages the tasks. The CPU only accesses the second thread when the information sent by the first thread is slow or unreliable (like a cache miss)..........

......Cores will always be more important when gaming. Gaming itself isn’t too much of an intense task for a processor. Even modern games can run smoothly on a quad-core, 4-threaded CPU, depending on the processor’s cache and clock speed. Threads are actually useful when you’re running multiple tasks. Say you’re gaming and you plan on streaming.

A multithreaded or hyper-threaded processor will help you run the games within playable frame rates while also handling all of the encoding tasks that are associated with recording/streaming as example.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    I'have the i7 9700K....... but most cores/threads are "dormant".....

SerotoNiN likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    For sure dont upgrade for an unknown, especially something that wont happen for a long time.
    I'm sticking with my clocked 6700K, it does everything I need very well.

SerotoNiN likes this.