Will a 9700k be enough for next gen gaming?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Serotonin, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I know the systems aren't out yet, but it seems they're getting specs released already. I have a quad core now and I know both systems will be going octo core, so I need to upgrade to keep up.

Will a 9700k cpu be enough? I know I'll have to upgrade the GPU next year. But if I can grab a cpu/mobo now and be ready, that would be nice. Any suggestions?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The consoles will use 8c/16t cpus next year so basically i would build up on that. A 9900k or Ryzen 7 3700X(3800X) would be a better choise.

Serotonin likes this.
  3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i'd say if you don't need it yet, don't upgrade it yet, you may get a better deal when you do.

Maddness, mezball and Serotonin like this.
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Agree, 8core sounds nice now. But still not needed yet, unless you stream and do a lot of video editing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Consoles 8c/16t are only "specs" of new upcoming ones (it's obvious for next gen consoles to make performance meet upcoming requirements in the unforeseen future) .........

.........CPU cores refer to the actual hardware component. Threads refer to the virtual component that manages the tasks. The CPU only accesses the second thread when the information sent by the first thread is slow or unreliable (like a cache miss)..........

......Cores will always be more important when gaming. Gaming itself isn’t too much of an intense task for a processor. Even modern games can run smoothly on a quad-core, 4-threaded CPU, depending on the processor’s cache and clock speed. Threads are actually useful when you’re running multiple tasks. Say you’re gaming and you plan on streaming.

A multithreaded or hyper-threaded processor will help you run the games within playable frame rates while also handling all of the encoding tasks that are associated with recording/streaming as example.

Serotonin likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    I'have the i7 9700K....... but most cores/threads are "dormant".....

mezball and Serotonin like this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    For sure dont upgrade for an unknown, especially something that wont happen for a long time.
    I'm sticking with my clocked 6700K, it does everything I need very well.

Serotonin likes this.
  8. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I have the same question about the 9700k.

My x58 UD3R has been running flawlessly for almost 10 years. Absolutely no complaints about what a great platform it was. I just invested in a Ausu ROG Strix 2070 Super and am now looking at a new build in a few months.

On the x58 platofrm Hyperthreading was usually turned off to help reduce the CPU temps when overclocking and the consensus was always a bit muddy about any benefit HT had when gaming. Does HT make a difference now for gaming?

I'm not a fanboy of either manufacturer as I want to get solid gaming performance with an eye on longevity.

I've read reviews about the 3700x and 9700k and both appear to be quite similar in performance.

But from what I've researched the new motherboard chip sets are the real question. Considering both AMD and Intel, which of the new chip sets makes the most sense at this time? Are the PCE-I 4.0 slots the way to go if building a system for the future?

Any advice you guys have would be great.

Sorry, I did not try to derail your post SeretoNiN. The x58 lifespan was far longer than I expected and would like to hear the pros and cons of the 9700 too.

Serotonin likes this.
  9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Help AMD, stop sponsoring a Soros' company. You should feel better and more clean with all hardware red. I would never touch blue-green combo. And I own needed money. Future proof is building your future. Blue-green is far from it.

10. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Ok...that was informative.

Facts would be preferred over feelings.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it wasn't.

toyo likes this.
  12. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Hyperthreading doesn't really help much with games and in some cases lowers FPS. A 9700k is a great CPU for games.

Strange Times likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ever since the bulldozer patch for windows 7, that has been false in most cases.

toyo and Loophole35 like this.
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    9900KF is $419.99 on Newegg this weekend with promo EMCTEUY22
    I already have one coming for me. My delided 8700k that does 5.1 will be on the forsale section very soon.

Serotonin likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    "Without Hyper Threading, there were stutters when loading new areas in the benchmark scene (especially at the end of the test). When we enabled Hyper Threading, those stutters were almost gone. We experienced the exact same thing on our simulated hexa-core system. As such, we strongly suggest enabling Hyper Threading for this particular title".
    https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/borderlands-3-pc-performance-analysis/

toyo likes this.

16. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Was Thinking of doing a Major Upgrade for a bit to my Intel I7-7700 based system, but think i'll just get at Christmas time a Geforce 1660TI Card for my Asus G11CD-K system, and should last me a few more years i think, as only game at 1080P, right now have Geforce 1050 2gb that came with system, already upgraded power supply.

Previously used AMD systems from 2003-2017, when purchased my first intel based system in years

My Previous AMD systems were AMD K6-2 for a while, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, AMD Socket 939 processor, can't remember the model exactly at the moment, and AMD Bulldozer 8310 supposely 8 core, after i still lagged in games with that last AMD system, September 2017 i was like ok getting an Intel, with highest specs i can afford.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sounds like something that would be fixed with an update.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Could be or not or just get a ht cpu. ;)

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With me a 6 or an 8 core CPU would be nice but with the stuff that I am doing out side of Emulation gaming I don't see the need up to this point to upgrade beyond 4c/8t CPU at this time. Plus If I wanted to do any video editing or live Streaming I have my dell precision t5500 with a Xeon x5675 (x58 6c/12t) (Yeah I know it's a weak 6c 12t system compared to modern CPUs like an 8700k or a Ryzen 5 3600 but it enough for my needs). Plus the games that I play not many require anything beyond 4c/8t. At the end of the day it boils down to what do you want to do with your system.