Wii or PS3

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by dare_devil, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Well having been a PC gamer for a hell of a long time now, I can answer why get a xbox 360.
    First fighting games on the PC suck, unless you buy a controller, but that is more money.
    2nd some games on the console that are fun(castle crashers, other misc) do not come out on a PC.
    3rd with a PC I am stuck in my office to play games, the xbox 360 I can be in the living room with other people.
    4th I for one love the old school games, and no I do not want to screw around "hacking" my PC to play stuff that is what 5 bucks?
    5th saying its bad to pay a montly fee to play games went out the window since 11 million people pay to play WOW(which sucks, yes it does, do not go there, it sucks!).

So in closing, there are many other reasons to get a console(xbox360 and Wii in my case). I have also set up the netflix app for the 360 and it is better than streaming on my PC. I think each to his own on what console a person gets. I have friends that have them all(all from the old nintendo and sega master system and up) and the PS3 gets the least amount of use from them. When I go to their houses, the PS3 is the one with the dust on it. Not saying it is bad, but from about 10 friends or so, it gets less use than the Sega Dreamcast.

Edit: Sorry I was having a bad counting morning.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Dreamcast just had bad timing, cause the console itself was awesome. PS2 graphics like a year or so before it ever came out. But I won't get into that.

@Weston, I would say that Mario Galaxy, SSBB, and LoZ: Twilight Princess are more than enough reason to get a Wii. In the end it depends on what his bro likes, as you said. I have a PC so I can get my FPS fix from there. Not sure if the OP's bro has a good enough computer for games though.

@OP, if your bro likes realstic sports games even the least bit, don't get him the Wii. While it does have some good sports games.... they are no where near realistic. Else, just get him the system which has games he likes on it.

@ST19AG, I wouldn't bother using a PSP as an emulator. Course I don't buy any of the old school games off the Wii's Virtual Console either. I'd just use my laptop for most, if not all, of my emulating needs. It can hold more than the PSP and probably plays a wider variety as well. Not to mention the laptop can do other stuff. Course, I didn't get the laptop for that, but still. I'm sure you didn't get your PSP for emulating either. I haven't heard anything about the PSP since it launched actually. Don't know anyone who has one. On the other hand at least 1 person in each of my friends family has a GBA or DS, or they themselves have one.

I just wish I had some money I could use to buy games. Can't wait till my tax refund gets here.

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Here are a list of current emulators, don't worry about the numbers I just copy pasted:
    Amiga 500 (29)
    Amstrad CPC (27)
    Apple II (1)
    Atari (62)
    BBC Micro computer (8)
    Capcom Play System 1 (35)
    Capcom Play System 2 (41)
    Chip 8 (9)
    ColecoVision (19)
    Commodore 64 (18)
    DosBox (11)
    Gameboy & Gameboy Color (90)
    Gameboy Advance (53)
    HitBit (8)
    HP48 (9)
    Intellivision (9)
    J2ME (3)
    Macintosh (9)
    MAME (23)
    MGT Sam Coupé (7)
    MSX (52)
    Neo Geo (116)
    Nintendo 64 (117)
    Nintendo NES (60)
    Odyssey (1)
    PC-8801 (6)
    PC-9801 (7)
    PlayStation (26)
    PSP (22)
    ScummVM (18)
    Sega Gamegear & Master System (37)
    Sega Genesis Megadrive (52)
    Super Nintendo SNES (85)
    Tandy Color Computer/ Dragon (1)
    Thomson MO5 (3)
    Thomson T07-70 (8)
    TI-92 (6)
    TI-99 (3)
    Turbo Grafx 16 & PC Engine (41)
    Vectrex (4)
    Virtual Boy (0)
    Wonderswan (30)
    X86 (1)
    ZX Spectrum (8)
    ZX81 Sinclair (6)

The PSP can take up to 32GB memory sticks, however only the 16GB is out now. You can however get this:

http://www.shopdigi.com/product.aspx?pf_id=CR-5400

And use two 16GB Micro SD cards to act as one Memory Stick Pro Duo giving you 32GB. More on that here:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3420076

Emulators don't take up much space. I love having old school games on the go in a small package. I should take some screenshots of some games, even ye olde Gameboy games look better on it. XD You can even rip your Playstation 1 games on the PSP.

4. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, it certainly can emulate more than I thought. Can't store that many PS1 games on memory sticks though. I'd think that games would look better on a PC.

Anyways, both seem to work very well.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah only game id get a 360 for is halo. anything else i am forgetting? gears of war?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    err $5 a piece is pretty expensive if you add up. $5 is also being extremely generous, as most VC games cost $8-10. If you get 8 games on the VC, that's $64 already. Also, emulating games on the PC requires no hacking at all, only the psp does. But to each his own, if you like wasting money on something you can get for free elsewhere thats your choice.

7. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Yes it is my choice and yes I like actually paying for things that should be paid for. Most emulators and Roms are in violation the original owners of the software/hardware. So lets break it down I can pay 64 bucks for 8 games, or I can buy 1 brand new game. Not a hard choice, I did not get the xbox 360 for GOW, HALO etc. I got it mainly to stream videos from netflix and the old school games. So yes let me waste my money and enjoy myself, oh poor me.(Almost want to call you a dumbass, but your at least keeping it a proper topic.)

8. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I only get ROMs of games I own. My mom threw away my NES and I am left with precious cartridges. :sob:

9. subaru_rene

subaru_rene Member

GPU:
    SLI 8800GT Sonic XpertVis
    i have all 3 Wii,PS3,360

Ps3 Hardware owns but lack of greats game only 3 or 4 great titels

360 haves more great games to offer
    But 360 Online payment (sucks)
    and Halo is Over-Hyped that game sucks.

Wii its like a pet you got to have it but it not worth playing games on.

10. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    How am I a dumbass? I'm not the one who thinks emulating stuff on PC requires hacking.

11. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    The reason is because he was not talking about playing ROMs on computer. If you think it doesn't require a bit of hacking, even if it's not on your part, to play old DOS games on XP then you are sadly mistaken. Sometimes they don't even have to be that old. Quite a few Wi*** and Win98 games need some sort of hack to work properly in XP or Vista as well.

Anyways, he didn't call you a moron.... just said he ALMOST wanted to.

12. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    if you have the $$$$$ get 360 and PS3 but if you can only afford one than go with PS3(i know its expensive but worth it) PS3 is going to be on the roll it already have some awesome titles coming out soon. Not saying it doesnt have any good titles but its going to get alot of great exclusives.

And i am not a fan boy i own both 360 and PS3 and used to own wii as well(its only good for kids :p)

13. Eat The Rich

Eat The Rich Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 626/2000
    I'd say PS3 as well (and I'm a 360 guy!)

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I say PS3 simply because its got free online gaming, and most of the big titles are mutiplat now anyway, so its pointless paying to play the games online on one system when another system offer the same online gameplay for free.

15. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    First off, using emulators for games you own if perfectly legal. And considering the batteries for a lot of the old cartrages that contain game saves are long dead, its more or less accepted practice.
    For CD systems (BIOS needed), emulation is legal provided you can legally obtain the BIOS (theres ways to get them off the consoles if you own them...)

As for the Wii, its clear that its a party console. Anyone seen the previews for the new House of the Dead? Graphics look ripped from the Dreamcast. Its simply not a gamers console.

The 360 doesn't have many non-PC exclusives anymore, so if you own a decent PC, theres not much point to a 360.

The PS3 is (finally) getting its exclusive's out. Killzone 2, MGS4, GoW3, etc. Now is the time to see what the console is trully capable of.

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    The thing I like best about emulators on the PSP is that you can save your progress at any time. No more starting back at World 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. 3! <3

17. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Ummm, no offense, but we've been able to do that on the PC since before the PSP was even thought of.

18. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    NESticle did that back in '97. Heck, we have savestates for DS and PS2 games working now!

And BTW, how can anyone die in SM3? Its the easiest SMB game!

19. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Not when you get to World 8. I ran out of mushrooms. -_-

20. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    i owned a wii for a year. there just arent any good games for a 21 year old gamer who loves fps and rpgs (zelda and mario games do not count for me, i outgrew them back when super NES was in its prime). i now have an xbox 360 and just love it. games have been awesome, gears of war 1 & 2 are pretty good, lost odyssey is catching on as an old final fantasy 7, 8, 9 style game, and mass effect was simply brilliant.