Wifi on my desktop system?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pigchild, May 22, 2012.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I sold the system I have listed, but will be ordering my new build this weekend. I've honestly never tried to run a high end gaming PC using only a Wifi connection, but If able to then that is my plan with the new system.

I am currently using an Xfinity cable modem with solid 30Mbps Down speed with a top notch wireless router and at least with my MSI Laptop my speeds wireless are very fast. The new desktop is going upstairs and I really don't feel like running cable to move the modem near the new desktop.

Not to mention that my non-wireless Bluray player in the livingroom needs that hard modem eithernet connection. I'm going with a 6 core AMD CPU and a nice AM3+ Mobo. What is the best wireless card I can get for this new desktop to ensure the very best Wifi connectivity?

Or is it just a bad idea to even try to use a high end gaming PC with only wireless? Thanks.

2. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580
  3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I hate wireless but as I'm in a student house I have to use it, not actually had any problems and get my full internet speed (30 meg) from it. I just use cheap crappy dongles, like this:

This is the exact one I have, $7.89:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-802-11N...SB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item43afcee696

It's cheap and probably crap, but I run it on my server and it's not missed a beat in two months so far, good solid connection.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I highly discourage WiFi for gaming and for a rig you use primarily. WiFi is actually very terrible unless all you do is surf the net and stream stuff. That's about it in terms of what WiFi is good for.

WiFi is terrible for gaming unless you're close to the router, but why then, why not just plug in your laptop/desktop?

Best to fish a cable through the house, it's probably very expensive if you don't do it yourself, but you won't hate yourself for having high pings, random lag spikes and etc. due to low signal or high interference. WiFi has so many factors that affects its performance, it's generally not worth it.

Also, you won't hate yourself for losing when someone in your house is using the microwave oven either if it's near your router (if it's running at 2.4 GHz, which most routers are still using this band). Microwave ovens also emit radiation at this frequency. Thus, heavy interference from microwaves is a concern when in use.

deltatux

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Haha yeah I never believed my IT teacher until I tried it for myself when making a pizza. A few ft. away from the microwave it's bye bye WiFi :nerd:

Perhaps another solution?

Ever thought about powerlines? A good set still beats wireless, provided the electricity cabling in your house isn't old as hell.

If your gaming exists out of primarily reflex based games such as shooters wireless is a nono. Wireless will result in a slightly higher ping (at least 1 to 5 ms depending on the quality of the signal) and will vastly increase the chances of packet loss.

6. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I've not had any issues with my TPLink wifi receiver, my PC is upstairs and I get faster speeds on that than my laptop that is right next to the router in the lounge.

I don't partake in online gaming very often cos I can't stand the douchebags online, but when I have I've not had any issues either. You don't know if you don't try.

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I'm with deltatux on this one - stay away from wireless unless you absolutely have to. Get a long cable and run it now, or you will probably end up getting frustrated and running it later.

I personally picked up a 100' cat5 cable and ran it from my router upstairs down to my HTPC and will never go back.

If you absolutely MUST go wireless a few of the new 802.11ac 1Gbps routers just got released by Buffalo and Netgear you might check out.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

It would be a lot of work but I would do this for the best online consistent gaming speeds; then run your CAT-5e back down to the Bluray player.

9. Axkingz

Axkingz Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4000 / GT 650M
    I have been using a Western Digital Livewire powerline kit for the past 2 years and i have had no issues with lag or bad connections. Instead of running a wire through the house i think this a great solution. It gets the job done and has worked 100% of the time. Besides that the Livewire kit has 4 ports on each receiver - in case you need to plug in more devices.

10. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    I do not recommend you use wifi for gaming. There are so many factors you have to account with. For starters, there are a lot of stuff that can interfere like microwave ovens, televisions, radios, ... who are using the same 2.4ghz band. Bluetooth can also interfere with your wireless. These are stuff you might not always notice when you're just surfing but online games are very sensitive to it.

Also, your signal gets weaker when it has to pass through multiple walls. I have been doing a lot of wireless site surveys for some of our customers and sometimes one thick concrete wall can almost kill a signal. Again less noticeable while surfing but noticeable while gaming.

You can test your signal if you have a smartphone for example. "Wifi Analyzer" is a free app you can download from the android market. With that app, you can look up your SSID and check which channel it's running on and what the signal strength is. If you have a dBm between -50 and -70, it is considered to be a good signal. I have tried online gaming with wifi a few years ago and my ping was always too high. So yeah, please use a UTP cable.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    A quality powerline is a hell of alot better then Wifi. Belgian ISP's use them all the time for digital TV. Plug one in near the modem, one near the TV eh voila. Only had issues with them in really old houses with old men fabricating some home made electricity plugs that looked like they could catch on fire at any time.

12. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for the tips. I do a lot of online gaming so sounds like even with a fast Wifi signal this may result in problems. I have plenty of RG6 Coax I can run a line with, so I will just move that Modem upstairs next to the PC.

My Bluray player is a POS off brand anyway that's slow as hell to load a disk. For only $135 I can get a nice Samsung wireless Bluray player for the living room TV so I can get my pandora and netflix.

13. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Or, you could give ethernet over power lines a try.
    That's what i use and haven't had any problems. (other than the thing not working when used on a power strip with power conditioning capabilities)

14. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I still think it is worth trying wifi if you are near the router, but I seem to be the minority on that one. I tested the wifi analyzer as suggested above and in the same room as my router I got -52db, however up stairs in my office/games room, through 2 walls and 1 floor, its still only -72db, outside the desirable range, but only just.

15. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    -72dBm is too weak for online gaming imo. You can try it but I think you'll find out soon that your ping will be too high.

You dBm on your pc will be a little lower since your wifi card is stronger than your smartphone but the difference won't be that much.

Last edited: May 24, 2012

16. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I know, but I'm saying that it is fine in the same room, and only just outside acceptable rannge having to go 5 metres through two various walls and floors, depends on your house layout and router location I guess.

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If it's in the same room then why not just run a cable ... wireless would be pointless by then.

deltatux

18. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970

Depends where the router is and whether you want cables running on the floor.

Besides, this ain't for me, I was just saying that you can't necessarily rule out Wifi as I was getting acceptable reception in the same room, if my computer was in the same room as my router then I would get more than acceptable reception.

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    "Acceptable" is a broad thing. I guess to me and people like delta "Acceptable" means NO packet loss at ALL for certain applications.

I'm not to fussed about wireless if it's just browsing the web, but when I'm playing a MP FPS I consider it the mother of all evil.