1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiFi issues on two different routers but LAN *mostly* works fine... why?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Darren Hodgson, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

I have been living in the same house for over 15 years and live in a city (in the UK) where one ISP has complete monopoly so I have no choice of other providers. My internet, which is a non-fibre DSL connection of "up to 24 Mbps" (actually 14 Mbps down/0.9 Mbps up) has been fine except for the odd issue, as you would expect. I pay £50 a month for this connection and have no better option as fibre (called Lightstream) is not yet available in my area (I was originally told I would have it by October 2015 if that gives any indication of how far behind my ISP are with the rollout!!!).

I live in a household with my two parents and in total there are probably about 10-15 devices that can typically be connected to my router (NETGEAR D7000v2) at any one time, although obviously not all of them will actually be using it or downloading things at the same time.

I have a TV, Sky+HD box, BD player, PS4, Xbox One X and Switch in my upstairs bedroom that are all connected even in standby plus an iPad and my mobile phone, all of which use WiFi, and my PC which is connected to router via an ethernet cable. The router is located in this room. Downstairs we have a Samsung smart TV, one mobile phone and two iPads connected via WiFi. My parents are very light internet users however and usually only use their iPads for downloading the morning newspaper and checking online banking. Occasionally, they watch something on NetFlix (1080p HD), although not very often.

Anyway, last October/November I started to experience an unusually high number of disconnections which required me to reset the router. This occurred with both WiFi and LAN (PC). After contacting my ISP several times and getting nowhere - at one point I was losing connection two to three times a day - I decided to replace my 5+ year old NETGEAR DGND3300v2 router with one that had a dual processor and multiple antenna which is the current D7000v2 I have now.

This made no difference though. I was still being disconnected and it wasn't until after Christmas that these eased off, suggesting perhaps that it was higher than normal demand that was to blame. I contacted my ISP again in early January and they changed my settings from the Game profile I was using and that seemed to resolve it. I still had a couple of disconnections but that was over two months.

Then on Saturday (3rd March) at 1pm, I was watching a YouTube video on my iPad and the internet suddenly went off. I had been downloading Final Fantasy XV on my PC since the night before at this point but I had intentionally restricted the speed in Steam to around 768 Kbps (approx. half the bandwidth of my total 1.4/1.5 Mbps down speed) as the game isn't released until later today.

I managed to get the internet working *mostly* on my PC but some sites are still playing up, e.g. Amazon would not load at one point, but I was able to complete the game download, but I'm still unable to get it working properly with devices via WiFi. My iPad will sometimes play YouTube videos fine but then they will suddenly stop and I see a Not Connected to the Internet error. I can always get my emails but Eurogamer.net refuses to load on my iPad. NetFlix won't work either but BBC iPlayer does! I cannot connect to the Apple App Store on my iPad at all. Some apps work fine, others don't, whereas before they all worked perfectly.

My Switch can apparently show the latest News, which obviously requires a working WiFi connection (this page changes so I know it is donwloading something), but I cannot open the Nintendo e-Store. It also fails when I check for downloads. Yet testing the Internet connection under Settings > Network on the Switch reveals a successful connection and even reports down and upload speeds (7.9 down but 0.23 up worryingly).

My PS4 Pro can download game updates too but the PS Store will not open. Like the Switch, the internet connection is reported on the console as 100% strength and working. It failed as the PSN login though.

My parents cannot download the paper on the Mail Plus app on their iPads (in the end I had to use my phone's 4G data and a mobile hotspot to download the issues for them) but the Hull Daily Mail app and Wikipedia for example work fine!!!

There's no consistency and I am at a total loss as to what the issue is. I even tried my PC, connected via ethernet cable and *mostly* working remember, yet the same issues persist. This seems to imply it isn't the router's WiFi since my PC's WiFi is being used for the mobile hotspot! It seems unlikely to be faulty WiFi as I get the same issue on two different routers.

In the end I've had to callout an engineer who is coming tomorrow but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

It could be a wiring issue; we did have some guttering work done to the house back in Sep/Oct and it is possible that the internet wiring could have been damaged somehow. That doesn't explain why I can connect with my PC but it affects WiFi though. My ISP seems to think it could be an oversaturated upstream but the issue persists even when I turn off my consoles (completely power them down so they aren't in standby) and my PC. I tried blocking every device except the three iPads and we still couldn't access everything 100%, i.e. the papers would still refuse to download.

I do have three access points but one is unusable as it in the conservatory and too far away from my PC and most of the devices that use the internet. The other is in the kitchen, which I tried with my old DGND3300v2 router but my parents iPads still didn't work with that. It's almost like we are getting interference from something...

What I've tried:

1. Two different routers on the upstairs access point (this is where the routers have been connected for the past 15+ years): NETGEAR D7000v2 and DGND3300v2, both on the latest firmwares.

2. Two different microfilters.

3. Two different sets of cables for the internet and ethernet.

4. Resetting my NETGEAR D7000v2 using the pin method.

5. Switching to different channels on the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels (my current router defaults to Auto and 44 respectively).

6. Turning off all my games consoles and PC and blocking all devices except for my iPads.

7. Using my PC, connected via ethernet cable, as a mobile hotspot via its Broadcom 802.11ac adapter.

Comments/advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    modem... I had 2 go bad in 1 month

Edit: hey Darren, sorry if OT but can I do #7 in your post with 2 wifi adapters (one for receive one for output)?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ airbud7 - Sorry but I can't help there, I'm afraid.

On topic... and in the interests of closing the thread, my internet issue has been fully resolved.

It seems that after two months of internet disconnections from late last October/November to a mostly stable internet post-Christmas due to my ISP changing some settings to the complete mess that started last Saturday, 8th that the issue was down to a rare fault at the nearby exchange which resulted in the upstream appearing to be saturated. All my devices were reporting sub-31 Kbps upstream speeds when the router showed it should have been 800+ Kbps (yes, that's depressingly low but that is what you get with non-fibre connections in my area, unfortunately). I ran the speed test on my Switch and it reported the upstream as 30.4 Kbps last night before the engineers located the fault; last night after they'd fixed it the upstream was 776 Kbps.

It took two visits from ISP engineers including three coming down yesterday for over half a day to determine that there was no fault in the house, something I've been saying since I first reported the issues last year. I've wasted days trying to locate the root cause and tried literally everything apart from ripping out the wiring and replacing it!

Thankfully because the issue is a fault at their end I am not going to be billed for it. However, I basically bought a new router just before Christmas for nothing as my old router still works fine so I am going to bill my ISP for that!

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Dont use microfilters they make things worse imo atlest they did when I had DSL, and by worse i mean constant issues with both interent and phone, so i just got 1 line for phone 1 line for the dsl, I would go with fact is ISP as when I had verizon DSL i was always fighting with them that there service is broke, and by broke i mean my 3mbit would turn into dialup 6 month out of there due fact they ignored broke nodes and routers in there system feeding me, until I got some managment and point it out to them. this usual happen eveyr year so every year i had to do this again. each time I let them change out modem few times and send out countless techs each time too tech told them each time problem is not in the house.

Imo ISP dont want to hear there issue is not in the house, and will do everything possible to lay blame someplace else or drag it out long enough customer just drops it.

it took me 5 months aruge with optimum to tell them the tm822g modem have full cappable of doing 200+mbit, it has done it, I know have 200+mbit stable on that modem sadely i think the speed slowly droping to again, so i been keeping an eye on it again

And buy not billed what you mean? for the month? or for tech fee's? cause if that went on for year that is lame, when this kept happen with verizon dsl, the gave me 6 free months almost every year cause of this or they or the y refunded me.