1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wierd artifact bug

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by homefry, Jul 5, 2018.

1. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    I have stable overclocks. If I apply the profiles when I first bootup, my system is good to go.

But if I've been using my computer for a while (maybe longer than 2 hours) and go to apply my overclocks with MSI afterburner, I get crazy checkerboard artifacts. I have to reboot and if I apply my overclocks, everything is ok.

I do have the CRU utility and am using it with my asus mg279q monitor and set freesync range from 60-144hz. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That is NOT a stable overclock.

3. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    Ok thanks.

I have my default clocks saved on a profile. I'll load up these default clocks and/or safe underclocks in the next few days and see if any artifacts show up.

4. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    I still get the artifacts when I load up default clocks with power limit to +50%.

This happens when the computer goes idle and monitor shuts off and I wake it back up. It's not consistent, it happens sometimes, and is ok other times.

Any ideas?

5. WareTernal

WareTernal Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X XXX
    That doesn't seem like an AB issue.
    So you are saying this only happens when your monitor coming out of standby? No 3d load?
    Anything you can take out of the picture might help to narrow things down a bit, like CRU and AB.
    Can you duplicate the problem on another monitor?
    What type of cable do you use? Maybe try a different one?
    High ambient temps this time of year?
    Good luck!

6. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    ZotacAE 1080Ti@2075
    What GPU is it? I experienced this issue as well only on certain AMD gpus. It just seems to be part of the package unfortunately.

I've also seen horizontal lines flicker all over the screen hen changing clocks in some cases with G-Sync enabled on 10 series cards only.

The best way to check for artifacts from overclock instability is still Unigene Heaven IMO because that will really show artifacts where other load won't. I've also had several of the 3Dmark benchmarks be very good at showing artifacts way more and long before other types of load when going for max OC.

As for getting artifacts at stock clocks but increased power limit, I can only guess that it's some VRM design issue having a bit of latency turning on and off phases....?

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Anyone reading this oldish thread.

Just to reiterate this is a driver bug, not a conclusive unstable OC.

I've had this on several systems with factory clocks it does not do it, adding just a small 10mhz OC would cause this issue.

In fact, driver bugfix list showed this one as fixed a while ago.

Edit: noticed this was AMD thread; this applies to NVIDIA cards.

Only happens when driver applies new clocks, a checkerboard flashes across the screen on apply.