Wich Fx Quadro is best for my MONEY????

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vingji, Feb 19, 2010.

1. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    Hi
    I want to buy a professional grahic card because i Work with Archicad, autocad, and video editing. The problem is that a Play alot too with games. So I found this cards and wanted to know wich is the best choice for me considering for better and faster work on 3D Rendering, here are the links of the cards, any suggestion would help. thnx.

http://cgi.ebay.it/Nvidia-Quadro-FX...ede_video_per_PC_e_Server?hash=item439d710116

http://cgi.ebay.it/PNY-NVIDIA-FX-45...ede_video_per_PC_e_Server?hash=item414cc2ee97

or do you thing i should go for 2 TA HD 5850 at the same Price of these to pro cards??????

2. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For professional 2d/3d animation, drafting, modeling, usage, get a Quadro. Standard Radeons/Geforces will never beat a Quadro. If you are just doing some basic work (nothing too complex), then any graphics card would do.

I suggest you getting a FX3800 if possible, its based on the GTX260 with 192 SPs, the 3700 is based on G92 112 SPs. Don't go for the 4500, its an outdated G7X card(most likely similar to 7900GTX), the 3700 will run circles around it in games and apps.

Are you going to be using those cards in your current rig? AFAIK you would need a much more powerful CPU and more RAM for those apps, GPUs aren't that important until you hit a certain amount of polygons/lines that the viewport really becomes congested. If its a different machine, nevermind what I just said. I would recommend you to separate your gaming from your work rig. Professional cards and their drivers are usually not optimized for gaming. Even the top of the line pro cards may have weird issues in even simple games. Like I said, unless you are going into really professional work, then it's not worth the high cost , low performance in games.

Also, the last I heard is that scene rendering and video editing is still done mostly by the CPU, the GPU only really accelerates the viewport and I believe, a few effects here and there depending on the software used. I could be wrong as I don't read too much about these. I do know that Premiere CS4, After Effects CS4, AutoCAD 2010 (I only did medium complex 2D though) don't benefit much from a GPU, its still CPU power mostly.

I suggest the 5850s for now and/or a new i7 rig (with 12gb memory) if you plan on using the one in your sig.

3. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    Well that answer was great.
    Thnx Sniper.

Well i thought to get a i5 750, and an Asrock P55 Deluxe (as it is cheaper than other and offers great performance), as for my work i wanted to work with archicad 13 for most of proffessional work, i will work only for my self not a massive 3d rendering work, so i thought if its worth the price of this Fx 3700 as i can get 2 x ATI 5850 with that money, But now i thing i would rather go for the 5850 only and see if i will suffer much in the work session, then sell it and try to get a FX3800, but the problem was the difference of price with the FX3700.

one last question?????
    if i do a rendering of my project in archicad (lets say a flying through of a house that i designed), and the time of the rendering with the ATI 5850 is 4 hours, what time should i get with the same rendering but with the FX 3700 or the FX 3800<|?????????

4. khogan112

khogan112 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia 9600M GT 512MB
    Get a Quadro FX3700.

I sell whole lot of Quadro PC s and workstations to engineers and architects and regularly carry out CADalyst v5.2 benchmarks on AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD2010.

On 2D/3D tests, a Quadro FX370+C2D E5300 ( = 8400GS ) finishes earlier than a Corei7-860 + GTX295. That is serious professional 3D power. Everybody talks about this and that, but Quadro FX has real power. It will allow you to finish actual work earlier on AutoCAD.

Render time will not change at all between a regular gaming card and Quadro...for now. At the moment ArchiCAD implements a GPU based render engine, the Quadro's can decrease the time considerably. But that will depend on ArchiCAD's implementation. For AutoCAD , as soon aas mental ray 3.8 render engine is implemented, you may get even a 10 to 20 time shorter render times ( this is speculation of course ).

Hope these helps.

5. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    10 - 20 times faster that is amazing, but what is the diference betwin the FX 370+ and FX 3700, cos i can Get an FX 580+ much cheaper then the FX3700 but i dont know if it work with all Pc's as it says for HP worstation only (z600 etc..) and dont know the diference in performance with the FX3700 because the price is very different.
    here the link of FX580

http://cgi.ebay.it/HP-nVidia-QUADRO...ede_video_per_PC_e_Server?hash=item19b612c4c5

6. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Im curious, but what tests did you test in AutoCAD? I know Quadros have unlocked features that massively accerlerate 2d/3d modeling programs (Maya/3DStudio and those animation/modeling programs mostly), but curious in what it does for AutoCAD since it doesn't accelerate final rendering.
    Never used ArchiCAD, but I don't remember AutoCAD benefiting much from Quadro cards unless you are really pushing complex scenes in the viewport. I may be wrong though as I don't work with these apps too often.

If my assumption that it only really benefits after a certain load (viewport) is correct, then it depends on the OP if he requires the professional card as it is extremely expensive compared to standard consumer cards. If ArchiCAD has rendering times accelerated, then get the Quadro, it'll be better by quite a margin. GPU rendering times are of course much better than CPU but probably not to the magnitude of 20x, just look at video encoding, it should be resonably around 1.5x~5x depending on how well they write the application to take advantage of a GPU's resources.

Perhaps best way is to get the midrange Quadro FX580 and then pick up a single 5850/comparable Geforce 4XX for gaming. I still suggest a seperate rig, otherwise you can't mix drivers together and you'll have to swap cards whenever you want to do work/game. I also suggest a quad core rather than dual for your purposes. Considering that many aren't GPU accelerated yet, your best bet is still a quad core i7 in helping your process.

FX580
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_fx_580_us.html
    32SP = 8600GTS/9500GT No idea if it is G8x or G9x, but no DX10.1 means not a GT2xx

FX3700
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx.html
    112SP = 8800GT/9800GT

Perhaps can you find a similarly priced FX3800? Its based on the GTX260 which is faster and you can game on that for most modern games.
    http://cgi.ebay.it/NEW-PNY-QUADRO-FX-3800-2XPCIE-1GB-GDDR3-1XDVI-I-2XDP-VE_W0QQitemZ390150407619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item5ad6c6c5c3
    That or just get a lower end Quadro and a high end gaming card.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  7. Terry32

Terry32 Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 SLI 650/1300/1701
    I guess I am confused as may the original poster, he has an i5 in his system specs which is quad core, it isn't hyper threaded like the i7 but it should be more than capable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

8. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    I am using a 5850 in my modeling work in 3ds max and it works great in d3d mode.
    Also the performance in CS4 is great.
    Certainly,the profesional quadro and firepro gives better performance in opengl for which they are optimized,but if you dont create too complex scenes in terms of displayed geometry the 5850 is a great card,and 2..oh dear:)
    In every major 3d app like 3ds max,maya,c4d the gpu is used to render the viewports only.
    Dont know about archicad,but in 3ds max the gpu doesent even minimally impact the final(production) rendering as it is computed solely by the cpu,so for the rendering performance it is wiser to go for more available cpu cores.
    I would definitely go for 2 5850 if you want good performances in DCC/CAD and retaining an excellent performance level in games.
    And also maybe the 5xxx series will be moddable:)

9. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i5s come in both dual core and quad core flavors. I just wanted to make sure he had a quad instead of a dual. HT helps threaded performance, but not by that much.