Wich 6200 have nv43 (thus be moded to 6600) and wich have nv44

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by QUAZ LX, Apr 3, 2005.

1. QUAZ LX

QUAZ LX Guest

Hi , I´m a newb and looking for a good&cheap graphic card (don´t we all ;) ) that´s why I´m loking for one cheap to be moded to good :D
    I´m trying to figure how one is able to know what 6200 nv cards has the possibility to be moded to 6600GT and wich don´t.
    To my current knowledge they have to be:
    =» built wiht nv43 chipset
    =» don´t have turbocache (suppously because this ones are newer and have nv44 a nonmodable chipset to 6600)
    =» Leadtek 6200 has it (the nv 43)

The problem is I can´t seem to find one leadtek in my area :( :
    Instead I find dozens other manufacturers like
    Asus EN6200GE/TD 128MB PCI-X
    MSI NX6200 128MB DDR PCI-X (NX6200-TD128E; NX6200-TD128ESP this second i can´t find either)
    XFX 6200 256MB DDR PCI-X (PVT43VUA)
    XFX 6200 128Mb DDR PCI-X (PVT43VRA)
    XFX 6200 DDR PCI-X supporting 256MbPVT44PQA / 128Mbit PVT44PHA (both have Turbocache)

Botton Line Is HOW CAN ONE KNOW :confused: (of course, before buying it ;) )

I have A64 3200+; MSI K8N neo4 Plat ...that´s why I´m trying to buy an nvidia card preferably the MSI, I think it would make sense to take most of the power of the nforce 4 chip to use nvidia graphic card. And why not an MSI to go along by MSI K8N ? I guess less troubles there ;)

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There is no way to know GPU revision without running diagnostic software like RT on it. Sorry.

3. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    It would probably be safe to assume (and I stress probably) that the XFX chips have that '44' and '43' in the code to determine the chip inside. Therefore these two:
    "XFX 6200 256MB DDR PCI-X (PVT43VUA)
    XFX 6200 128Mb DDR PCI-X (PVT43VRA)"
    Are probably NV43s. I stress again 'probably', as there's really no way to know without buying them.

4. Unwinder

Main point is to determine if the board is based on moddable NV43 A2 or unmoddable NV43 A4. You won't be able to see it in display adapter's name.

5. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Ahhh... I wasn't aware of that. Apologies.

6. QUAZ LX

QUAZ LX Guest

:confused: now you lost me Unwider!
    Is this nv43 A4 the new 'batch'/version of 6200 chipset!?
    If it is should I assume that if I have to buy it from a reseller that needs to order from brand that makes it it will come with the new nv43 A4 chipset (I assume it's newer than A2).

Asside that if I can look to the board in the store is it possible to identify the desired nv43 A2 chipset? If it is what should I look for?
    I saw one xfx 6200 and I couldn't see any landmark of the chipset number!? From one side it had the heatsink and other nothing I could use with my current knowledge.

I have a friend in a modding store if i could tell him with great probability wich specific boards/brands to order I think he would try order 1 or 2 different ones to try, but wich?

In a finnal remark, and as i'm looking for most 'bang for the buck' card and if it is not possible to tell wich 6200 would be moddable wich card should i go to being certain to be modable to something better ;)
    Many thanks to you all, sorry only posting now but my net was out :(

7. xK Ares

xK Ares Guest

the giga-byte 6200 could be modded to 8 pipes and overclocked like a beast but they sold out of them at new egg :(

8. Unwinder

Yes. And currently it is 100% unmoddable. You may forget about unlocking pipelines on it or modding it to Quadro.

I've already meantioned two times that it is impossible to identify GPU revision without running diagnostic software.