1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Windows 8 will wreck what Microsoft has built for the mainstream audience.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pixelsmack, Jun 4, 2012.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I dont like it. Its so clumsy, especially those corners..

About upper/lower-right corner, can i swap it so it shows on left side?

2. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    You sure seem to be offended by a post that wasn't even directed at you.

And I explained how it's unintuitive. It's unintuitive in the respect that it is completely counter to their long-running UI formula so it is an unexpected change to their desktop products. Changing something so drastically should be weighed upon the benefits of the change versus the inevitable outcry against it. Microsoft got the ratios wrong and there is a lot of outcry. Windows 7 had some rather dramatic changes to the UI, but they ended up benefiting the user and making the system easier to use. They could also largely be reverted to the prior design choices as well for those who wished to do so.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Sorry, I mistook this for a discussion forum..... Since me responding to your post seems to have offended you, I'll try to avoid any form of discussion in the future. Sorry for thinking discussion was the purpose of a forum.

4. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    broken link?

I tried to fix it for ya in the quote

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. volors

volors Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    i just installed it and it look ok everything is there , you right click in the left corner and click search and you can see all programs there , control panel and what not.
    anyways I don't know about you guys but I have to get used to it as I work as a network technician and I have to support our clients.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I just found out my directv2pc app runs better in windows 8 then windows 7, when it ran in windows 7 it would turn aero to basic and cause dragging windows to be really slow. but in windows 8 windows dragging is still fast.

Im glad that they finally fixed gui slowness

8. S_IV

S_IV Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    To me the problem is not the metro (or whatever it is called) screen, or the lack of start menu. It is the damn UI that looks horribly ugly. It looks so boring and dull at the moment. But anyway, microsoft explained that there would be some changes espicially for the desktop screen in the final release. Waiting..

9. fellix

fellix Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA² GTX 1080 Ti
    Guys, just use ClassicShell and you can have all the goodies -- a working Start menu, bypassing Metro UI at login and disabled hot-corners. The thing worked just fine for me.

10. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    MS has already stated the only way to deploy Metro style apps is through THEIR app store. Marketing has nothing to do with it.

So I'm forced to make one of two decisions:

1: Ignore Metro, but run the risk of some other companies product being featured on Windows Store, thus eating away my sales

Or

2: Use Metro, and eat the 30% profit loss or raise prices to cover.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    1. If you develop only "Metro" apps....you lose Vista and Win7 users.

2. If you develop and market software PROPERLY, you don't lose any sales you wouldn't have otherwise lost anyway.

That UI.....is "metro"....

12. S_IV

S_IV Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    I meant both Metro screen and desktop screen. Former is ugly because of big plain colored boxes and looks way too toyish.. But especially the desktop screen looks bloody ugly and unfinished somehow. Even "minimize/maximize/close" part looks too plain. Yea I know there are custom themes or 3rd party software around but I dont like using those kind of things like many people.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    all these developers saying they hate the metro store because they have to get there apps approved first and blah blah blah

who says they have to make the app for the store..

why cant they just stick to making the desktop programs like there doing now.

I like the idea of a metro type steam but... I do alot of modding and I need the desktop to do that.

of course people dont like change..

right now I understand the visual 2012 free is only for making the store apps.
    but from what I read they will be releasing a free one for making desktop programs after the program goes full out.

or just use visual 2010.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    That's the thing. If you develop and market an app properly, windows market place won't be an issue.