Why texting ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by yelsewshane, Feb 2, 2013.

1. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Curious as to why people text when you can leave voice message or actually talk to the person voice. Think about it wtf are people doing haha texting is just like morse code from the 1800's; and when voice became available everyone freaked out and loved it.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    People usually have unlimited texts but limited minutes, voicemails use minutes.

Plus its useful for urls, or when a person cannot take calls, ie, in work, a meeting, in class.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Cheaper.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

5. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Ohh, you miss the value of texting my fellow guru. You can't always call someone and speak, so text messages are the perfect alternative.

1) At work
    2) in a loud bar or music venue where you can barely hear your own voice
    3) in school,
    4) when you only have something short/quick to say

The list goes on and on!

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I text because people work so they can get it at their convenience and reply at times when they can't talk etc. Also it needs less signal and you can do it whilst doing other things like watching tv and not disturbing others, also texting someone 10 times a day is less irritating than 10 phone calls.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Nothing beats sexting your missus!:banana:

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I HATE texting & text only several times a week.

Why text if you can dial the number & talk?

That said, sometimes you NEED to text in the following situations:

- Sending an important message abroad to friends/family is a fast, cheap & effective way of getting the job done.
    - If using chat programs such as Yahoo/Skype, sending a message is a simple way of informing the other person, usually who is abroad.
    - Noisy environments, sending a text is effective since you will not hear using the phone.
    - Sending a simple message such as a shopping list, food or simply what you want from subways!
    - Short & romantic messages are nice to send to your girlfriend/wife from time to time.
    - Sometimes when meeting friends it's simple to send a message to confirm or just before leaving to meet up, usually giving them a time.

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    over here in australian, some companies charge you for leaving voice messages and for checking your voice messages.

plus, when people are at work, i just simply leave a message and they can respond to me whenever.

apparently over the last 11 months, i've sent approximately 17237 text messages, so i tend to abuse my free messaging privileges. add in whatsapp and line and that count goes over 20000.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I use texting when it is just a short message but anything that requires more than one short response I tell them to call me as it gets annoying fast.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I text cuz I'm not allowed to make personal calls at work....

12. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    With texts you can send a picture/photo (MMS) or you can let someone know something of importance to save them writing it down, like a list, URL, phone number, address etc.
    I sometimes stutter/stammer on the phone so texting saves me from having to talk.
    I would rather text the wife, that way she cant argue back ;-)

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Basically this, plus, in emergency situations where a natural disaster has occurred, as long as there's basic signal (assuming the towers haven't all been wiped out), SMS is a hell lot more reliable than voice calls since they're very light-weight and doesn't jam the network as quickly as voice calls.

Plus, most if not all plans these days come with unlimited texting. I rarely call my friends, I only call them if what I need to tell them doesn't make sense to do over text, like helping them by giving a long answer and what not. Most of my calls are calling tech support or other business that I have to deal with, I don't use my parents' landline unless someone calls for me there.

As for voice mail, it's an add-on that most people don't feel like paying, some plans in Canada have them as standard part of a person's plan, but almost everyone need to pay extra. I was lucky enough to get a plan with voicemail, but have only used it for business purposes only like job interviews or what-not. Everyone else would just text me when I can't pick up the phone.

Texting is just much easier for many people.

If anyone's interested, this is how my usage looks like (for the past month), it's within my normal usage pattern lol:
    [​IMG]

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    This plus not everyone knows how to keep a conversation flowing smoothly. With text messages, you can just copy paste one-liners from google. :banana:

Also the part about loud music at bars etcetra is right.

Personally i text my girlfriend when we talk at late hours when everyone else is sleeping while i'm up under the pretext of work, :banana:

15. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650

man.. i used to send around 100-300 txt per day! lol.

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    HEY GUISE. WHY PRESS SHIFT WHEN CAPS LOCK IS JUST AS GOOD AND YOU DONT HAVE TO HOLD IT!

How is it difficult to see the benefits of texting over leaving a freaking message. How is it hard. Just do both, and time it. Time the dialing the number, ringing, listening to their voicemail, speaking your message...Then them picking up their phone, dialing their voicemail, going through the prompts, and listening to your message...

How is that faster than opening your app, typing out your text, hitting send. They receive it, open the app, read it. Explain to me how your way is faster.

17. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I text unless I need a fast answer.
    People tend to take a long time to answer text messages...

Also long and complicated things are better told via a phone call.
    Need both just as much, texting is easy for short messages or announcements to people etc. It's got its ups and downs.

18. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    With my old plan I used to have 450 minutes, unlimited texts, I can can tell you if I had called everyone I talked to my minutes would've been gone very quickly. With my new plan I now have unlimited talk and text, so I can do as much of either one without added fees.

19. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    If you want to have a long conversation I call but for quick communication texting is much easier

20. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    both has uses.

informal/not-so-important conversation? text.
    not so urgent news? text.
    late night conversation? text.
    speaking with a person who doesn't commune well with a foreign language? text.
    office/business matters? voice call.
    hard to explain with words? voice call
    urgent? voice call.