Why should I care about 8 core processors?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by IhatebeingAcop, Feb 12, 2017.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I have a bit of a dilemma here:

I really need the ****load of cores (which Zen offers cheap) for the workstationy stuff (video and audio stuff) but also the high single core clocks (which I can get from intel) for gaming certain titles. Just a matter of striking that balance, really. I'll wait a little while personally, see if the Zen environment improves any, and intel drop prices. Should get interesting.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With the games that I play I feel that I won't need to upgrade beyond 4 cores for a while. Plus I do some video rendering on the side and the i7 I have in my laptop handles it just fine.

Also I think that both Intel and AMD need to start thinking about making laptop cpus that go beyond 4 cores as well if gaming laptops continue to sell well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
  4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Really like that Ryzen is competing with Intel but I see no reason to change my current rig, More cores is great but we need software that uses more cores when that happens I will move to more than 4 real cores.

5. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Yep of course I'm not saying people should head out and buy ryzen now just because it brings 8 cores at a more affordable price point, however saying the op shouldn't care about having more than four cores because a few games at the moment don't take advantage of it is a bit of an ignorant viewpoint to look at the progress and adoption of technology.

I think Hilbert said it great above on how developers will eventually adopt things like more threads in games as the technology gets more mainstream. With proper octa/hexa cores finally hitting the mainstream segment regardless of them not quite besting intel in raw single core performance developers are still going to notice.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
  7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, don't think anyone who already has a new Intel CPU would need to consider Ryzen, but those like myself who are looking for something with a higher IPC and something that will last as long as say a 2600k would definitely be better off with Ryzen.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The voice of reason right there. I read other reviews in addition to yours, Hilbert, and I kind of get this feeling that there is indeed a chipset issue with Ryzen. I wonder if you would get the same results if you tested the CPU on something other than an X370 chipset.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Interesting, turns out you are trolling genuine concerns.
    I turn your delightful response back on you.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/2/

My main issue is the much lower minimum framerates.
    You pay a lot of money for a gfx card to keep those up.
    I wouldnt want a processor for 5 years that gimps my minimum fps!

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Calling someone a troll and a retard is more likely to get you banned than have the thread closed.
    The thread is a legitimate question, if these things don't get debated then people waste their money.

In 5 years time Ryzen likely beats these Intel CPUs easily, but again another AMD product has been overhyped, only a little this time but they need to stop leaking stuff and fans need to stop hyping things up excessively.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Ok please behave here, infraction handed out

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Did you read the first post?

13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If you don't understand the question you shouldn't be insulting people.

14. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    That's not what I've said. I dont know why you quote me as implying something I'm not saying. You did it before by saying to me "**** you" when I was actually defending the trolling statement against you.

Anyway, regardless, today imo, is not the day to be investing in Ryzen for gaming, be it today's or predicting tomorrows games. All the memory issues and other quirks has left me further cold to the Ryzen of today. Sad but true. But that's my take on it.

15. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    An 8 Core processor would come In handy, being able to encode video and play a cpu intensive game title at the same time, currently with my 6700k I can't do that very well so yeah I can certainly see the appeal of a chip with lots of cores giving the user the ability to get more things done at the same time.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The vast majority of games still rely more on IPC performance than threading.

I think the Ryzen would probably work better for many games if you could disable half the cores for a higher 4 core/8 thread overclock. (That's if it's possible and the OC headroom improves with half of them disabled)

However this also gives you future proofing as you can simply enable the rest when games actually get benefit from them.

Otherwise, for workstation use with programs that properly are threaded. This thing is a beast!

I'm considering it just for my DAW alone. No more running into the CPU stalling because of 50-60+ tracks, buses and folders with a ton of FX instances running.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. platypus

platypus Active Member

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    I wonder how many posts defending quad cores will change in the next 12 months when intel release 6 and 8 core chips that the 99 percenters can actually afford?

I know after I tasted 8 cores there's no way I could go back. I couldn't give 2 hoots what my fps is as long as it doesn't stutter and I can run at maximum quality.
    Everything is butter smooth with more cores.

18. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    My thoughts exactly. :nerd:

Unless I end up using my PC for other things than gaming, even then I'd still wait. My next PC will be 8 core though, in some years time.

19. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I've ordered all of my new AM4 hardware and waiting for delivery, cannot wait. I know theres going to be some bugs but i am always an early adopter, its part and parcel of the the trade.

As for the arguments about getting a good 4 core cpu for gaming, i game locked at 60fps so i dont need an intel quad core (6700K, 7700K) with 4.5Ghz+.

Running SW:Battlefront at 4k vsr/60fps/Ultra, my GPU is maxed out at 99%, but my FX-9590 still has 40% overhead available. My bottleneck at 4k is my GTX 1070 X4, go figure lol. At the moment, my FX-9590 is still strong.

So for my next build, i will be looking at nice and cool 1800X and pair that with a GTX1080 or comparable Vega. I'll see what my budget is like.

20. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB