Why people use beta drivers versions?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by benq, Mar 9, 2014.

1. benq

benq Active Member

GPU:
    I mean, why does the people use beta drivers? are they better?

I always asked why, so please let me know :nerd: :)

2. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    cuz they are the same as whql, some better, depends of system, os, video card. whql its just some MS stamp on them.

3. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    For me, I just want to test it, report it(even most of the time they don't hear me), and hope getting some performance increase from it. ;P

4. aayman_farzand

aayman_farzand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Just as stable as WHQL and comes with the latest fixes.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I've always wanted to know why water is wet. But I have yet to get an answer.

6. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    sometimes better, rarely worse, usually the same.
    hek why not?
    Do i always install them? na, just when im bored, or i really need them (rarely)

7. DooGie

DooGie Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Because people here are always looking to try out nVidias latest offering. There is always the hope they may offer vast improvements in speed or image quality. We can always hope :)

Personally I always try out the latest betas and haven't had any problems with them over the last 8 years.

8. benq

benq Active Member

GPU:
    Nice :grin:

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I only try them to see if they fixed some bs that they broke in the first place and to test if its smoother without this typical hitching/jitter/stutter - depends on the game.

10. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Because I'm bored, and hope something cool might happen.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    cuz new betas come out sooner than new WHQL drivers and are usually of the same quality as the WHQL drivers. WHQL certification costs money and takes time. If a game doesn't play nicely with the current WHQL driver, do you really want to wait a few months for the next WHQL driver to get a good gaming experience?

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    ^^That. NVIDIA betas are more like just non-WHQL drivers and otherwise practically same and stable (unlike AMD betas...).

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Eh, lets not get started on AMD betas.....brings back bad memories of cat14.2....

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    because we as humans has always had the need for the newest thing.

15. shredderman

shredderman Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390
    Some drivers will fix a lot entirely while others cause more problems, it's up to you to report those so that they can fix them. Complaining about it only just makes you look like an attention seeking bigot with no intention of helping any cause.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Cat 14.2's are beta, and there is nothing wrong with 14.2 beta 1.3 that is current.

Of course, being beta it doesn't mean that it's perfect. Nvidia beta drivers aren't perfect either, the non-WHQL drivers are still beta and still may have issues with certain games or certain games with certain card models.

It's true though that WHQL takes time and money, and typically non-WHQL/beta drivers are safe to use an typically better for the majority of the high end cards.

Nvidia drivers are like AMD drivers in that if there is an issue, it is more likely to affect cards that aren't the highest sellers or high end cards. Despite what Nvidia fans try and tell people, there have been plenty of issues with Nvidia drivers in the past. They have benefited fom 'The way it's meant to be played titles (of which are a lot), just like AMD have benefited from 'Gaming Evolved'.

People want to try non-WHQL drivers for several reasons:

they want to:
    • try out the latest drivers
    • resolve specific issues
    • play a recent game that may benefit from the latest available drivers
    • psychologically make the best use of their hardware
    • use it because it's new, and newer is better ;)
    • use it for other reasons not listed, or 'just because'!

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Because Nvidia puts Beta drivers out so we do not have to wait weeks to a month for Microsoft WHQL signing.

It is easier and faster for Nvidia to post a driver labeled as "Beta" with fixes/improvements for new games than it is to wait forever for Microsoft to only put a digital signature on the driver.

Official Beta drivers aren't like the old days where Beta meant disaster.

Beta today is a round about way of getting a driver out...faster. Sometimes they come with new features, but rarely anything that will hurt the system.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  18. gorgas

gorgas New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    takes time till Microsoft gives WHQL, usually it is good for new games because specific problems are fixed much sooner(mostly).

19. painter

painter Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 670 2GB
    I can honestly say I never had a 'disaster' in all my years of installing any driver that came my way, whether they were beta, WHQL or some dodgy leak [those don't happen anymore :frown:].... and I started with Detonator version 3.50 or something in 99/2000 :grin: ... maybe I was lucky.

The only majorish issues was with some leaked AMD drivers a couple of years back, from my brief dalliance with team red, that resulted in a black display when you tried to remove them, which was a bugger to resolve.

I mostly install them for something to try, rather than in the hope of performance or bug fixes, though I would like my P3Dv2.1 issue resolved, so hope the next beta sorts that out.

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I remember Amd real well.

borderlands and AMD driver:bang::puke2: grey screens and crashes.

and scaling problems.