Why People choose ATI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Datagg3, Nov 9, 2009.

1. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    They will. Only they'll release it later than they expected.

2. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Yer I know I was just being sarcastic:hatty: towards NVIDIA on being really slow on bringing there cards out to me they are leaving it to long 2010 some reports say that for worldwide stock to be available it looks like it will be around January 26th to April 26th, 2010 by then ATI would walk this one till the next GEN cards come out.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I think ATi have generally hit me in the right spot with their price/performance ratio. My first ATi was an x1900xt 256mb, which I put under water cooling, and I was so pleased with the card that I've been a bit of a fan of ATi ever since.

Although I made a poor decision to go with a HD2900Pro 1024mb at one stage it was rectified by the HD4870s release. I got 2 HD4870s at the time because I was on an intel chipset and there was no possibility of SLi. nvidia cards at the time were ridiculously over priced as well making the ATi cards really good value (I was an early adopter).

I'm waiting on the release of fermi to see what direction nvidia is taking in gaming in the future as I'm unsure if they are still dedicated to bringing out good gaming cards. But more than likely I'll be skipping this generation as my computer performs awesomely as it has for the past year.

4. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    That was indeed a great card price/performance.

Apparently SLI is technically possible on non-SLI certified mainboards. Some guys found a way to enable SLI on non-SLI certified mainboard: http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.30

NVIDIA ain't liking it one bit obviously and i wonder how long it takes before NVIDIA put in some measures to render this impossible.

5. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    I had a few shaky moments with drivers and my 4870x2 around the 8.9, 8.10 stage, but 8.12 fixed all that and my graphics card just flies. Down-spot would be 9.9 which introduced some really nasty glitches and bugs, but 9.10 seems to have smoothed them all out again.

With nvidia, back in the good old days, I remember how each successive driver release on my tnt and geforce256 added so much speed and features that it felt like a new video card every few months. Then over the next few years, the driver releases got less and less reliable - this game works with this driver, that game doesn't, but works with that driver, get an older driver for this newer game that I basically stopped following driver updates from nvidia until I literally had to switch up to get a title to run at all.

Back in the ATI camp, I actually look -forward- to a driver release! That's got to mean something..!

6. games2007

games2007 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5700 x2 xfire
    My 5770s were cheap and give performance close to a GTX 295, and will probably become closer to it with drivers maturing, and it some benchmarks the 5770s beat the GTX 295.

I like how Crossfire scales compared to Nvidia's SLI.
    I'm definitely satisfied with the benchmarks I've ran and it beats the 4870x2 sometimes, and has DX 11 support.
    Having crossfire allows me to use 16x AA in the CCC (I'm pretty sure, as when I disabled it I could only go up to 8.)

In some of the older games, enabling this works, and in others I can force crossfire with the Crossfire Xtension 1.4 program which works quite often in lots of programs, like emulators. The cards run pretty cool even when overclocked (35C idle and not even 50 at high load) compared to my old 4650 in my old system where it was hitting 62-66 Idle...

I might chose Nvidia if they increase their SLI scaling with newer technology or if Nvidia physx starts becoming more of a must for me, since Havoc is pretty nice and works well.
    I think my card was producing physics in TF2 because I was able to move dead bodies around while I wasn't able to with my Radeon 4650 and quad core.

ATI just seems like a good buy right now. It's funny, but I've never used Nvidia. My oldest computer used Intel's integrated crap, my laptop uses ATI integrated crap, my mom's desktop (originally mine for a few months) uses a 4650, and my current desktop is 5770s.

Sorry if I wrote too much, but there's my opinion =)
    I'm just hoping for better drivers from ATI =_=
    Oh, and maybe some Borderlands support. I stopped playing it but with CF working well with my cards, I might try to play again sometime with some buds who haven't finished it.

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Last year when i got rid of the P4 (shudders) i bought all the parts together

I choose ATI because of the price/performance ratio at the time it was cheaper to purchase two 4850's than a single nvidia card so im perfectly happy anyway

i got an upgrade to a 4870 but one 4850 got crushed in the mail so im waiting for a refund from the mail company then il purchase another 4870 with this one :banana:

8. the_4ork

the_4ork Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    bang for buck.

thats it

9. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
  10. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Moved from Nvidia since 8800gts 512!

11. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    I have had a Voodoo 3 2000 which performed great and ran flawless at the time.

Switched to a GeForce 2 Pro since 3dfx was late releasing their cards/were not performing that good/expensive/went bankrupt, and there was no real competition for nVidia at that time - at least where I was living, only brand available was nVidia, ATi still had the older cards for sale but not Radeons. It was a great card, good performer (nothing to compare it to though :p), but it died on me (!).

Then looked around, seen the 'next big thing' was the Radeon 9700 Pro, checked benchmarks and all, and bought it... A couple of months before the 9800XT was released :bang: . Great card, huge improvement over the GF2Pro, and as drivers went more and more mature, the performance was rising higher and higher, which I loved.

When it started to get old, I wanted the last card for my AGP rig, one that would support DX9.0c, and got a GF7800GS+ (yes, the one from Gainward ;) ). Performance was ok, considering the rest of my PC was bottlenecking it, however, drivers did not bring any performance upgrade and it was crashing most of the time.

Building a new 'puter, searching for bang4buck, I picked up the whole Dragon platform expecting again what I've experienced with the 9700Pro, so I got the 4890, which is serving me well for almost half a year now, pretty happy with it, and have had no trouble whatsoever (only NFS:S, but we all know what is this about...).

So why do I choose ATi?

- Reliable
    - Drivers (updated more often and usually more reliable than nVidia's)
    - Performance tends to get better with new driver releases
    - Price/performance
    - Usually requires less power to operate

However, I might go with whatever product offers what I am looking after. Yes, I said product, not company ;)

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Been posted before but for me it's who ever is on top! At the moment ATI own Nvidia.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I like the color green. That's why I choose Nvidia.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    so what if your colorblind ? lol

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Then red and green would both show up as brown right? I guess I'd pick whatever shade looked the least like a giant turd.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    And there you have it Gurus. Hardware buying made easy. Just buy whatever looks preeety...

Ooo that hard-drive looks shinier than the others...must be better!:wanker:

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Everyone likes shiny things.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    "all that glitters isnt gold" :beer:

19. Bluthium

Bluthium Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4890 XXX@1000/1125
    As others have mentioned before, Bang for the Buck.

But that's not all there is to it. Nvidia have lately been untrustworthy, renaming old cards, disabling physX with ATi hardware (as if it makes any difference), overpricing their cards, etc.

AMD/ATi have been more open to the customers. No stupid marketing strategies as Nvidia does.

Not to mention Native CrossFire support on all motherboards. I'm not trying to sound like an ATi fanboy (as ALL of my previous cards were Nvidia based) but lately they have just converted me to the Red side of the Graphics Force.

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Up until a few weeks ago I bought from whatever company that had the best performing product for a specific price range. Though recently, I'm leaning more towards ATI because of all the low blows Nvidia has been throwing.