Why People choose ATI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Datagg3, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    They did one over on Nvidias side, so I figured why not here.... Please and before we begin, I'm asking for no flame wars here and for the admins to please lock it up if one begins.

Now for my reason....

A) I don't have one ... Really. For me, its who wins at that time. Ive gone back and fourth so many times. Been happy with both brands. This time around, ATI won, as for the windows 7 launch they had the goods to go along with it in the 5800 series.

When Nvidia decides to come out with there's and it well kicks butt, i may jump... But until that time comes im happy with my ATI rig.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    same as you mate.. i have been nvidia / ati all the time

i go with whats best at the time.. and at the moment ATI are on top

3. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    its simple. my 4870 was $50 cheaper than a 260 last year when it was time to upgrade. as a bonus the aftermarket cooler that i had on my 8800gt fit on the 4870 but not a gtx260.

i had several nvidia cards before this, all with good experiences. to me brand loyalty is pointless. i go for whatever is the best value for my dollar.

4. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    Until my current card, I'd been an nvidia afficionado since the TNT and expected I always would be, simply because I think you can be more assured about good support from games developers.

I chose the 4870x2 over a 280 because I wanted to get a card that would definitely keep the fps decent at high resolutions. I have to say I am very fond of the card. I'm also very pleased ATI are doing so well at the moment - nobody likes a one horse race.

5. saif

saif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC
    cheaper high end cards !

6. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I choose ATI when they are on top. I also choose Nvidia when they are. No brand loyalty here.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I'm planning on going ATI when I build my new system in a few years, I mainly choose ATI or Nvidia depending on what motherboard I buy and what chipset I have, AMD Chipset = Radeon + AMD drivers all at one place, or Nvidia Chipset = Geforce + nforce drivers all one place. If I were to build a new system now, I would get this motherboard and this card.

8. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Buy an X58 chipset and you won't have to worry about either.

9. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Pretty simple. Every Nvidia card (7 total) I've owned since 1999 has died and that's without modding and overclocking involved. Got fed up so made the move to ATI and have been well satisfied so far.

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I could do that too but then again, I don't know when I'll be building a new system again as I'm currently going back to school, and was planning on keeping my current system until a time where I could afford to build from the ground up.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I get what new series is out at the time that gives me best bang for buck. It just happened to be ATI this time, and I will use them untill the next generation. If ATI happens to be the first again next time...so be it. If it is Nvidia and the price is right...so be it.

But if Nvidia keeps charging crazy prices for launch flagship cards. They wont get me back as a customer.

Physx means nothing to me, and was never impressed by it. So that isn't even a factor here.

ATI has low watt usage also, and tbh I've had less troubles with Catalyst drivers than Forceware lately.

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    like almost all that posted..i went with the best at the time..i bought my card when the x2 was just out and was fastest card out..i did the same back when 8800gtx hit..

however for next gen ill probably stay with ati as long as they are competitive with whatever nvidia has out at the time for one MAIN reason..eyefinity..
    usually features never really swayed me but this is one i must have for my next card..so as long as performance is on par with whatever nvidia has at the time ill stick with ati..

physx isnt enough for me..or 3d..

also ati's power consumption is very good and thats starting to get important especially on idle..(this x2 pumps out a lot of heat so im glad they are taking these things into consideration)

also i havent had half the trouble some people report with ccc/drivers but idk i never had that many problems with nvidia drivers either..

overall id rather pick ati, they seem more legit imo, but no company will have my loyalty...if they stay competitive performance and price wise ill stick with them..but if they cant deliver ill buy something that can..simple as that.

13. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I have used both. Its just whatever is best at or under $200.

For now, the rest of my purchases will be ATI for power saving (I live in an apartment now, and Im trying to keep my electric bill low as possible haha). I also have never had a physical problem with any company except for Nvidia, which had a fan speed problem which caused the computer to lock up. It was fixed like 4 months after I bought the card though, but it was a frustrating 4 months.

14. =Galahad=

=Galahad= New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512Mb 812/1050
    When its time to upgrade, i simply go straight to the latest benchmarks and reviews and pick the card that performs the best while being reasonably priced (nvidia has been disappointing except for the 8800 series and prior). I buy a graphics card for the graphics card itself, i dont care if the sticker says nvidia, ATI or "worst gpu ever made".

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I pick what I feel is the best for my budget. So for me, it's both Nvidia and ATI I choose.

16. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I was also sold by the eyefinity idea this time around... All they need is multiple resolution settings, crossfire/eyefinity support and we are ready to rock it! :)

17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Not counting the ancient days of gaming my real experience started 10 years ago and went as follows:

TNT2 Ultra - GF2 (can't remember which) - GF3 200 - 5700 - 9800SE (modded to Pro) x2 (killed both) - 6600GT - 7600GT - 8800GTS 320 - 4870 - 5870 (future upgrade?).

I've been mainly an nVidia owner but, just as the 9xxx series annihilated nVidia's 5xxx series, the 4xxx series are taking back market share from nVidia. While the GTX280 is faster it costs so much more that it's not worth the money. When I bought my PC 4870 the GTX260 was a lot more expensive and didn't offer any more performance. Not worth it, as far as I cared and I have been very happy with AMD/ATI.

I hope that Fermi forces prices down, so I can upgrade to a new card and hand this 4870 down.

18. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Great answers thus far......

And thank you for keeping this thread clean and professional.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i bought my card, because it was the best choice at the time.
    i looked for a upgrade of my 8800gtx sli system , and i looked at the card with most performance.
    it could easily be a Nvidia card, if it was performing higher. i dont really stay put to one camp/brand.
    maybe next round will be nvidia again, only time can answer that.

20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    ATi offered the best bang for buck with the 4xxx series.
    I also like the new tech in the 5xxx series. Also, the IQ is were ATi shines.