Why most of the old games runs bad on newer PC's

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Night_Kn8, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Night_Kn8

Night_Kn8 Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 @702
    I got a question that bothers me all the time. Why most of the old games like ut99 (unreal tournament) or older, runs bad on newer PC's?
    I got Intel Q6600, GF285 GTX and Windows 8 as an OS. When I run UT3 i got above 60 FPS but when playing ut99 FPS stays under 25 and lower. As far I can remember ut99 ran smoothly on AMD1700 and ATI9800 graphic card. Ok so now is it all about hardware clocks CPU<->RAM , GPU? or Direct libraries or the operating system itself?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  3. Night_Kn8

Night_Kn8 Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 @702
    UT was just an example, there are more old games that run under 25 fps. I want to know why that happens.

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I played silent hill 3 on pc a while ago and it was capped at 30fps. Quick search told that the game was limited to 30fps by default. I didnĀ“t bother to search for a "fix" because it was fine to me. Maybe back in the days they were limited, no need for 60. (?)

5. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Never heard about that issue in UT99, but I have always used enchanced UT openGL renderrer. Game looks better (colors are more vivid like on glide/3dfx card) and you can use s3tc hires textures.
    http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Anyway, if you have problems with older games (like UT99), you can always try "nGlide" emulator, most games on unreal 1 engine were build with 3dfx Glide in mind

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's actually better to use Nglide with UT99, or Kentie's D3D10 render mode. Both play flawlessly for me under Windows 8. I play quite a few older games, and rarely have problems to be honest. The only game I have a playability issue with is Speed Busters, and it's fixable if I simply alt tab the game and back.

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    hmm wonder if there is a similar fix to Quake 3 Engine Games

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Thing is that it's because modern operating systems like Windows 8 have revamped their underlying rendering systems, old APIs are usually intercepted and then redrawn, sometimes without real hardware acceleration. Microsoft redid the entire graphics and audio stack for Windows Vista and up. It doesn't help that these games can't handle more than one logical CPU core.

deltatux

9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    have you tried playing guake 3 on Nvidia GPU? As I know many older games just dont work on AMD graphic cards.

On my 680GTX I play games like quake 3 arena, soldier of fortune, RTCWolfenstein without ANY PROBLEMS. I have tested many games from my collection (years 97-2005), and I have found problems with only few: FABLE LH, splinter cell 2, Need for speed 3-5 and carmageddon 2 (but thanks to patches, carmageddon and nfs games are working now)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Run in single gpu mode, I still play Quake 3 Arena, wont ever get old...i hope.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yep, sounds about right. And the only reason the NFS games have issues is because of newer OS's, not anything hardware related.

12. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    The original Theme Park won't run on CPU's faster than 200mhz.

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I remember Quake 1 not working on AMD years ago but putting an older opengl32 and some other .dll file in the root folder of the game seemed to get it working

Some games also have unofficial patches like RTCW but if the game is really old say like Simcity 2000 then you can always use a VM (yes I know SC2000 is on GoG but that's the DOS ver)

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    simcity 3000 runs slow on my system.

add compatibility settings and it slows down even more....

also have some older windows 98 directx games that run like crap on new machines. but runs better on older machines.

thats why I switch to nvidia , because I was having crappy performance with opengl games.

and old games that didnt run with the amd card now runs with the nvidia card.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  15. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I trying to figure out why most Quake 3 engine games running like shart on newer systems with newer drivers must be opengl related or something