Why is my GPU doing this?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by elemen7al, Feb 1, 2020.

1. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
    Ive tried to under-clock my GPU and it still doing the same thing. Ive tried 100% on my GPU fans where u see the temps come down and it still does it. Is this normal?

900watt Antec PSU
    Radeon RX 5600 [​IMG] XT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I don't get it. The fans are at full bore, and yet the graphs aren't showing the temperature decrease?

elemen7al likes this.
  3. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
    it deceases at the start you can see the drop.

I just done another test CPU at 100% and the drops are regular i can time them look every 6th square on the grid, the dorps rae ALOT bigger with my cpu under 100% load also:[​IMG]

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    as in GPU and VMEM loads are having a drop, to a certain frequency.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  6. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
  7. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As GPU gets underutilized it automatically downclocks.
    Your situation is unlikely to be caused by GPU temperature or power limit/voltage.

I would look into way GPU is fed data... Storage.

Then I would try to reset and remove all FAN/clock/power/... related settings from MSI AB as it have had conflict with AMD's drivers which caused a lot of issues. Whatever you want to set, use AMD's drivers, they can do same or more at this point anyway.
    I use MSI AB only for OSD/recording.

9. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX

My storage is:
    [​IMG]
    HyperX Savage 240GB

It does the same when everything is done via Radeon software also. Maybe a driver issue?

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Since 1st image you have shown has almost no CPU usage, it is possible. But periodicity and long delays hint something that causes wait/stall.

Try to check state of your HPET settings and experiment with switching.

And since it looks like you'll experience very noticeable fps drops at moment when it happens... can you try without MSI AB and RTSS? (Just to be 100% sure.)

elemen7al likes this.

11. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
    My BIOS B350-F doesn't have it as an option. Is it still worth doing it via Windows?

The_Amazing_X likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Navi doesn't have the P states as earlier but just a min which is kinda ehh since you can't really influence it much and a mid/game/normal clock which is also a bit ehh as it's just the mid/average automatically set and then boost. :)
    Boost is some target speed the GPU tries hitting but the drivers are very conservative so I assume it's the same on the 5600 and the card will hit around 40 to 100 Mhz lower than the boost target.

Which is always going to lower the moment the card drops below 99-98% load and I assume the 5600's don't have INF entries and full support in earlier drivers either so trying 19.12.1 and non-Adrenaline 2020 code won't work.
    Though for the 5700 this has held true since 19.7.1 (Since the card came out that is.) and some situations just tank GPU usage as a combined factor of what seems to be GPU and CPU utilization and overall GPU workload so the moment GPU usage drops anywhere lower than 98% the clocks fall and there's no way to try and lock these thus lower performance although even at 98% load there's just some fluctuations seen by logging or monitoring GPU data. :)

It drops pretty quickly too often hitting the mid/game clocks soon after falling below that boost clock threshold and can then go even lower even going into idle speeds due to ongoing problems in a few games although primarily for D3D9 where the card just doesn't perform as expected or even drops into idle speed states which should never happen.

I see it as the second biggest issue to the ongoing weirdness that is the (multiple sources of?) black screen stability problems. :)

EDIT: Min and max voltage adjustments can certainly affect the overall voltage curve though much as you only really control the boost speeds for the clocks themselves and then fan speeds with overall GPU behavior controlled by the GPU core temperature junction which is the hottest overall of multiple sensors instead of the edge or surface GPU temperature sensor as before.
    Afterburner might do a good job with how AMD's Wattman has the fan as absolute targets or something like a stepping or staircase of sort instead of a actual curve hopping from one point to another instead of rising and falling.
    (Plus it's often a bit imprecise possibly affected more so by third party GPU models and fan controllers and such.)

Though from the sensors it seems to be doing really well here keeping below the 75 degrees Celsius that seems to be a target for how this gets affected although the junction temp can go much higher before the GPU starts to fully throttle.
    (Difference between edge and junction temps can be 10 - 15 degrees possibly a bit more.)

Basically the cooler the card the more it can boost but it will hit other limits primarily power and it will also have this thing where the set clocks are often a bit less than expected often -50 Mhz from the max boost assuming no other limitations but it can vary somewhat.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    elemen7al likes this.
  13. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
    tbh its only something i realise when benching it, i don't really have any problems in any games and so far I've had no black screen problems or any "problems" at all in fact, a few stutters in apex legends but turning off Tessellation fixed that for me.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's gotten quite a bit better, biggest remaining problem is likely just that CPU can get a bit of a bottleneck and since that also reduces GPU usage the card downclocks and this can result in stuttering. :)
    For D3D11 a few titles continue to be a issue (Borderlands 3 and Witcher 3 for example.) and then D3D9 is far as I know mainly single threaded so it will be CPU limited and affected worse.

Low level API's also perform really well although to the extent where using something like DXVK can even improve performance and frame time (Thus smoother and less perceived stuttering from framerate fluctuations.) although I hope AMD will be able to resolve this for the February 2020 drivers and on considering the numerous fixes total from 20.1.1 to 20.1.4 already.

The 5600 is probably also a bit less opportunistic than many of the 5700's often trying to hit 2000 - 2100 Mhz with various spikes and well boosting high and falling to lower clocks results in a higher framerate drop and thus more noticeable stuttering whereas the 5600 somewhat reduces this since for one thing the power delivery is more constrained and ampere and voltage targets are less extreme than some of the third party 5700 and particularly the 5700 XT. :)

5700 and the XT can be between reference 180w up to 250w depending on if it's 2x 6-pin, 1x 6-pin and 1x 8-pin or just 2x 8-pin and then bios targets and set values often countered by a lower SOC voltage and amperage seems to be anything between 12 to a pretty hefty 20 for some models.
    (Less than ideal cooling on certain models and you get some stronger fluctuations in how the default GPU settings perform.)

Interesting to hear that about tessellation too, I prefer a lower manual target in Catalyst Settings although with Polaris and on the hardware on the GPU should be able to cope better with 32x and even 64x unlike even after updates the Fury and earlier had issues here and then there's also the PCI Express performance situation as the GPU uses a 8x instead of 16x connector but unless VRAM runs short this seems less of a problem than initially reported.

Good to hear, it's how the card operates but when it's working as intended the framerate should still be holding up instead of dipping to very low values though benchmark profiles in the GPU drivers can also be very optimized tuned for getting the most out of these though it makes them good as stress tests and extreme workloads and how the GPU behaves unless it's something like say Furmark or similar where the profile often actually throttles the card a bit.

EDIT: Ah I see so it is a hardware thing then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ewrz0p/continuing_our_focus_on_delivering_the_best/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._for_aggressive_downclocking_5700_xt/f3e0bdi/

Which actually links back to Guru 3D.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/clockblocker-profiled-amd-power-management-control.404465/page-34

Well possibly a hardware thing.
    Although why not have a buffer or delay, immediate is nice and fast but unless it's immediate in the way that the Zen2 CPU's shift faster than the normal period it seems a wait would alleviate most of these drops.
    (Though it being user controlled as some sort of performance or energy saving thing seems better still why go to low clocks or even idle when it's doing actual 3D stuff or anything above a few percentage GPU workload considering how it throttles so quickly.)

EDIT: That's a interesting comment too but it also confirms that the Linux driver code is in a very good state though the Windows one well less so unfortunately.

Stuff like that could possibly even fix the worst of it for these speed drops and resulting performance impact and noticeable stutters (Doesn't drop as badly.) and obviously it does work with the hardware. :)
    (Plus it makes overall usage smoother because the GPU isn't kinda shut down versus operating at light workloads yet drawing *less* power.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  15. elemen7al

elemen7al Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 7800GT XFX
    I only just upgraded my gfx to this 5600 from a gtx 970 so im still in the the "OMFG this card is AWESOME" stage im not had any problems so im not going to curse my luck and keep messing with it hopefully by the time i notice something "in the games i play" there will be a fix or hack to sort it out.

Thanks for the lengthy comments and links was interesting reads