Why is marijuana illegal?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by crushilista, Apr 11, 2010.

1. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Repost:

I actually am a former stoner as clearly stated in former postings. It's just that at some point, you are faced with situations in life that present a deluge of stress that faces you to make decisions in a way that if you have a clouded mind, you simply cannot make. This is where altered states of consciousness can be achieved without the aid of an exterior chemical influence as the brain can achieve these things on it's own through reason and logic that facets the brains own tendency towards ulterior fantasy and imagination. What a stoner experiences when high can be achieved without an external stimulus of an ingested chemical. Seek any Zen practitioner. Not to say I am against getting high. I just accept the fact that in most countries pot is illegal. Like mentioned earlier, you either rebel against it and get busted, or you move where is is legal and then you have no problems. Or you exploit those things that are legal. So do not let my postings be either for or against. If anything, I am pro logic and anti illogic.

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
  3. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Why is marijuana illegal?

I believe there is 6.5 billion different opinions about what is right and wrong. So each and one of us have different personality's, yet there are similarities among us. Things that you are born with or formed by your surroundings as you age. There are bravery, the urge to explore, leadership, cruelty, socially skills, kleptomania and so on. Among these are the ability to set limits. Like how fast you drive your car, how and if at all your alcohol consumption affects you life and surroundings.

So the following deduction, proves the law is far from perfect:

1. You can take your car, go 3 times the speed limit, risk your own life and others. Get caught, and you go to jail, because that is the law.

2. You can drink up all your money, become a wrecked alcoholic. Get your family thrown out of the house, ruin your partner and kids life. If you get caught... hey, everyone sees that, but gives a damn...

So I think it is safe to say we can make laws which limits what is too much and what is not. Yet when it comes to alcohol, it is part of our "culture", so no limit is really needed, other than do not get too drunk in public or when driving. Have you seen the latest health statistic on how much alcohol cost our society, both in health, personal and family tragedies. You do know that alcohol is actually a very addictive substance. Yet, it is legal, it is the law. So to the nut-cakes in this thread who continuous keep arguing over and over with alcohol is legal "that is the law, and so it must be", THINK !

While I agree on most of what the law in my country says. There is one fundamental way of thinking, that draws a red line through allot of the laws bestowed upon us.

"If we remove what we think people do wrong, bad people will become good people". Somehow that makes sense to someone.

And some how there are people with 10+ years education, who can write such bull**** as in some of those linked and quoted articles posted here.

Here is a thought, if you are one of those persons willing to cross the speed limit with 5 mph with your car. Then you are automatically deemed as a person that will most likely smack into a train station at 200 mph 2 years later. Where the hell is the logic in that ? That seem to be case if you smoke marijuana.

People do not move on to heavy drugs because of marijuana. They do it because they want to. It is just how people are. Of all people ever walked the earth, there is a certain amount of them who want to climb a mountain to look beyond. Some will go to the edge of a cliff to look down. A few will stretch too far and fall to their death. Some of us just can not set proper limits. End of story, human nature.

Both alcohol and marijuana are relative light when used with moderation. When you look at things from a pure productive society perspective, nor alcohol or any drug, to other than medical purpose, is not a good thing for that kind of society.

So why is marijuana illegal, and not alcohol. What it really boils down to is culture. Alcohol has been part of western civilizations for ages. Banned numerous times in many countries, but impossible to get rid of. So most governments have caved inn and kept it legal, too avoid too much black marketing, at least it gives a pretty tax income.

Marijuana on the other hand, have only grown into a sizable subculture in the west the past 50 years. No doubt if you were to legalize it on a broad scale, there will be noticeable negative consequences in our productivity. Not as bad as alcohol, and far less than what the worst sceary propaganda tell us. But negative none the less. So if enough people disobey the law and smoke it, eventually it will be legalized. If is ever going to happen, you will need allot more people openly admitting use.

Funny thing is though, when you have smoked it for 15 years, you start to see how many really uses it. Most people who are against it, do not realize how many around them use it.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Everything in this post is amazing except bolded.

I don't agree that there will be any such notciable effect on society for marijuana, simply because many many people smoke it now. The number of new smokers would be relatively small given its current prevalence. What's more, the number of people who are fired from their job for using, or are arrested and miss work, or jailed and lose their job, will go from huge numbers to 0. Many of these people are perfectly normal workers, who do fine work, I've personally known some people who lost their job, which they did a damn fine job at, because of marijuana testing.

You can't tell me these firings and jailings don't harm society.

5. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Yup. It's like he's having a very unintelligent conversation with himself rather than a stoner. Do you honestly think we're all hippies?

nvlddmkm, you seem to represent every wrong assumption on this matter out there.

Now this is something I can agree with. Why should perfectly fine people be fired because of something they put into their bodies? There are definitely lots of things you could take which would hinder your performance much more.

As a boss, I'd rather have people who smoke marijuana when they're off than drink alcohol - at least you don't get hangovers hindering your performance at work that way.

And you can't say the huge amount of marijuana smokers in jails aren't costing the governments anything either.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    not that many stoners get locked up in cali cops don't care about pot because of meth,and coke addiction problems along with crime related related to people being high on those drugs.If you get caught with lets say 3 joints or 3 bowls worth of weed they will ether take it and get rid of it or give you a citation I know this because I has some of my weed confiscated a few times.and the DA wont prosecute a a person who gets arrested for being stoned or having if he or she isn't violent and I have yet to come across some one who is.My best friends step dad was a coke addict and when ever he would using it my friend would get several beatings for no reason except being the same same house as him.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  7. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Sounds like a very valid reason to celebrate , proFits :thumbup:

[​IMG]

9. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    I see people saying that marijuana can "cause" mental health problems. I do not agree, what i do agree with is that marijuana use can exacerbate existing problems such as paranoia or anxiety, which in turn may result in traumatic experiences while under the influence which then might further worsen those problems when not stoned...if you understand what i mean. Simple solution? don't smoke it if your one of these people...I have a friend who can't drink coffee because caffeine gives him the serious jitters, so he...dun dun dun avoids it! Common sense people! Moderation, common sense and an understanding of drugs is the key, i had a friend back in my school days who was BADLY mentally addicted to marijauna, from the moment he woke up to when he went to bed he would smoke the stuff and it caused all sorts of problems in his life and he is still suffering for it today. I had another friend who on the weekend would use coke or ecstasy. That was the only time he took drugs and he used them responsibly, know what? He has done very good for himself and is living a good life, his drug use did not negatively impact his life at all. He used drugs in moderation and responsibly. The only bad thing i can say about this is how the drugs got to him in the first place and the lives it destroys all over the world, children being abducted and kept as slaves in the jungles of Colombia to name just one example..and hell look at the Mexican border right now aswell, it's absolute mayhem! which is why we need to legalize and regulate them. CIA won't be happy with that though.... :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    It was legalized here in Canada for medical purposes. It was also decimalized to some degree here as well. You can still get charged for having a bag of pot, but it’s usually just a small fine and a slap on the hand. :)