Why is marijuana illegal?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by crushilista, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I think the comparison between violent computergames causing terrible violence and marijuana causing disorders is needed here.
    Do people who are violent and crazy play violent videogames, or does the game make them violent?
    Are people with a personality disorder drawn to marijuana, or does marijuana cause disorders?
    I think we know the answer is the same to both questions. What is the causality?

A lot of people in this thread are driven by irrational fears based on hearsay, rumor and personal anecdotes. The only one talking a little sense is Palerider. Marijuana won't be legal in the US because the government doesn't want to change it, ergo, they are lazy. That, and their voters bought into the propaganda saying marijuana is bad, so it will make them look bad. Just imagine what FOX news would do if Obama would legalize marijuana for everyone....

2. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Poll question (not a real one)... We asked 100 heavy drug users what was their first drug. 99 of them said 'cannabis'. Granted this may not show proof, but can we not assume anything from this? Hell, going by the burden or probabilty this would be an over whelming YES in every court in the land. All the heavy drug users i spoke to said cannabis was their first drug.

Lets play a little game... what the odd one out...Cannabis, milk or cocaine?
    I cant believe that you cant differentiate the difference between people who start off taking soft drugs moving onto hard drugs, and people drinking milk moving onto hard drugs. Also about milk being a gateway DRUG??? Also milk is an important ingredient in our diet (as is most food stuff), especially when young (hell, almost every mother on the planet produces it naturally), where cannabis isnt. A better analogy would be the use of smoking tabacco (due to it being a drug). Are you more likely to smoke cannabis if you already smoke tobacco, or if your a none smoker?

Source?

I didnt say or mean 'caused' (as in forced), i meant it was a gateway that lead them to it. It may have been the dealer that caused them, their curiosity, or their own weekness to say no. Either way, if they didnt use cannabis, they may not have ever gone onto hard drugs (but then again, some may have done so).

I can see the for and against argument. However, alcohol is a working class drink used socially and for escapism. Keep a man (as in human) in beer and they will generally shut up and got on with life, take it away from them and there will be anarchy.
    The problem is, is that it is now (and has been for thousands of years) part of our culture (most races). So years of breeding will be VERY difficult to change.
    Its similar to cigarettes (being a none smoker i wouldnt care if it was illegal), many people use it as a form of enjoyment, take that away and there will be rebelions.
    There is also the revenue it brings in to the country too through taxes. This money will have to be sought from other means.

What is more important, keeping the people happy and in line, and gaining revenue in the process, or the health benefits from making it presciption only or illegal? I dont know the answer.

If only that were true. There will always be a job for the criminal. Cigarettes are legal, yet criminals still smuggle them in for profit.
    The problem will be, that like cigarettes, MJ will be taxed highly, and people will always want it cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No, you can't assume that because 99 (a number you made up) people say that they started with weed and moved to cocaine that weed caused that. Weed is the cheapest, least harmful, and most readily available drug out there, of course a majority of people are going to start with it.

But that in no way proves that the marijuana caused them to move up. It simply means they did it before. And using that rationale, asprin, tylenol, and yes, milk, are equally valid answers.

But I'm not continuing that argument anymore, you don't understand it.

And finally, the only reason people smuggle cigarettes there is because they're so heavily taxed and expensive. They're not so expensive here. We don't have those problems.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Here is a link to what the Royal College of Psychiatrists (UK) have put on their website:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabis.aspx

10 year study backs up what PCThug has been saying:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...agers-to-become-addicted-to-harder-drugs.html

Like all other illegal drugs it can be contaminated with other substances hazardous to health:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4907.html

5. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Phew, you have finally admitted it, that the majority of heavy drug users started off on softer drugs.

No they are not, but you cant see the difference between legal drugs, milk and illegal cannabis, so we will go round in circles with that one. Why do you keep insisting on saying 'caused'? I made it quite clear that i did not say/mean cause (as in force), but a stepping stone onto harder drugs.

I see what you are trying to say, but its a none argument and a little silly insinuating milk and illegal drugs are similar and could easily both be responsible for heavy drug use. Hell, in your rational you could say that most heavy drug users wear jeans, so could that the cause of it too?

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    If marijuana doesn't cause a move to harder drugs, then it is not a gateway drug, and those people would therefore try the harder drugs anyway, so why do you keep mentioning it?

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm sorry but you are clearly deluded. You need to read the evidence.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You must be referring to the ones you've neither read, nor can show me.

I linked, far earlier in this thread, no less than 4 studies showing that cigarette use was a better predictor for hard drug use than marijuana.

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    No..... lol I got pulled in to this meaningless thread when I said I wouldn't!

Please enjoy your drugs responsibly.

*cough junky wasters cough*

I'm out!

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Like I said, can't show me those studies.

Anyway, I've made it clear no less than 5 times I don't smoke, so, good try.

11. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That depends on what you believe a gateway drug is.
    I believe it to be a stepping stone and the gate you are introduced to in order to open to enter into a world of heavy drugs.
    Whether you enter this gate is another question.

Cannabis in my eyes is a stepping stone, where you can either stay on, go forward or go back. The stone before this cannabis stone is a drug free area where its easier to keep drug free. The stone after cannabis stone this is where harder drugs are, and its more difficult to go back once you move forward, but its easier to move forward.
    Your the author of your own destiny.... keep to the correct stone.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's not necessarily drug free. They could be drinking, or smoking cigarettes in that "drug free zone" that would lead them to harder drugs.

EDIT: I am clearly doing you a disservice by not adequately explaining my points, someone assist me.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Sorry chief. That statement was made only in jest as the couple others preceding it. All apologies.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    as you mention in your post, it is a gateway drug in your eyes.. that is your interpretation and because you believe it doesnt make it so.

We're just going around in circles here for pages now.

Fact is that it doesnt even matter at all if its legalized or not. Even thougj there are lots of people out there trying to fight to make it legal, I dont really see why..
    I mean at the end of the day its available to people, lots of people will use it legal or not, and its status in the eyes of the law will not change this.
    In a different world we could be having this exact same discussion saying alcohol should be legalized because if weed can be legal, why cant alcohol?

Of course, when you look at all the trouble alcohol actually causes in the real world that weed doesnt cause, it would be a tough sell.

the whole gateway argument doesnt hold any water at all. If you say that about weed then guess what, you have to say the same thing about taking tylenol as a pain killer or drinking a can of soda or cup of coffee that have caffene in them, which can be very bad for you if you ingest too much of it.
    So essrntially if weed is a gateway drug just because it might lead someone to try harder drugs, then so are soda and coffee and cigerettes and pain killers.. all gateway drugs. real sound logic there!

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh sorry I didn't pick up on the jest...I'm not reading everything written here and not paying any attention to who says what.

The trend seems to be to slowly legalize marijuana. When I think of drugs that make people lose sensibilities I think of alcohol first. But then my fiancee and daughter were killed in 1980 by a drunk driver so obviously I'm down on it. It's no secret that alcohol ruins and destroys in a number of ways and if I'm not mistaken alcoholism is the number one cause of death in the US albeit the death certificates don't come right out and say so. I reckon since we allow it then eventually marijuana will be legal too.

16. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    1080ti
    I agree! Just like extreme obese people always start out with milk. I think we should ban it! Almost all violent youths in the western world play computer games these days. Ban those games! Surfing is a stepping stone to be eaten by sharks! Ban surfing! Sunbathing is a stepping stone to skincancer! Ban the sun!

17. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE

so true...... :)

lets not tar all cannabis smokers with the same brush, some of the greatest minds of our time smoked it.

im impressed this thread is still open though given the amount of kids running about trying to tell us ''drugs are bad'' :bang:

really...... no worse than.

Paracetamol

coffee

tea

Aspartame

Alcohol

tobacco

*SPAM*SPAM*SPAM*

& many more....... yet these are all legal & easily obtainable, whats worse is the above drugs actually exhibit bodily decay with prolonged use :3eyes:, can you not all see the irony staring you in the face..??

the only REAL difference in the legalities of these substances is the ''big wig'' suit who says YES to one product & NO to another...

18. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ouch, almost forgot about aspartame.....

19. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    But the thing is we are not talking about these products, this thread is about an illegal drug, thats something that is illegal NOW (in most countries), not should we or shouldnt we ban it, it is already banned.
    The OP is asking why is it banned, not what other substances should we ban.

I am merely guessing an answer to his question, so no need to shoot me down for having a guess.

Why not have a guess yourself, whether you believe it should or shouldnt be is irrelavent to his question, and to your answer.

You can even start your own thread stating that milk should be banned to stop people being fat if you so wish.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    His point is that the logic you use to defend the fact that it is illegal, if applied to literally anything else, doesn't work.

Not only doesn't it work, but it comes out with downright silly sounding responses.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010