Why is 537.58 still the best performing driver for me?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Damborino, Mar 30, 2024.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    But it was 20 years ago and this comparison include FOUR different GPU architectures - something which to do now you'd need to go as far back as Fermi, and sure you would probably see some regressions on Fermi on current driver in comparison to the one released in 2011 - which is partially why support ends with Maxwell in them right now.

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    You brilliant bastard. This is why I love forums. I disabled this, which I admit I had no idea was a thing or option in Windows. And now games are smooth with new drivers. Such a difference. Thank you for this suggestion.

Deleted member 229454 likes this.
  3. Haha! Glad it helped.
    I am rather brilliant and bastardly yes, finally someone noticed... lols

Serotonin, RealNC and BuildeR2 like this.
  4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Dang, gonna have to keep this in the back of my head for when I have to update drivers. Kinda sucks as HAGS is required for DLSS FG (you know, the main selling point of the RTX 40 series) but it isn't *too* big of a deal to turn it off and restart for smooth gaming.

Serotonin likes this.

5. FWIW I have HAGS on with 551.46 hotfix and things are pretty much as good as with 537.58. So 551 and later drivers should be better, once you need to update.
    Seems to depend on system a lot though.

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I have HAGS disabled. It doesn't bring any benefit to my system, in any game. and I too have this driver installed since it's still better than any newer one. On my system ofcourse. And with windows 10.

7. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Same for me, HAGS doesn't do anything to fix these stutters in the newer drivers on my system.

537.58 gives the most consistent framerate on my system in these problematic games.

Leads me to think this is only happening on specific games and system combos, most "newer" games, like Diablo 4 and Hell Divers 2, run fine on the newest drivers.
    This also explains why some users don't have these issues, because they aren't playing the exact same games.

For instance Path of Exile (DX12) has intermittent stuttering with the newest driver.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There was never such a time, Phils testing has long been discredited and debunked.

9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The Geforce FX era was hectic for sure because that GPU architecture needed some "heavy tweaks" that were debatably "cheating" (they had to replace standard SM 2.0 shaders with "optimized" ones because the FX was too slow with standard precision SM 2.0). So you might see some weird performance changes for that generation (if I recall, they went full throttle on cheating but backpedaled on that when they were called out, especially with 3DMark "tweaks"). But I think they stopped that practice with Geforce 6 because there was no need (it handled standard SM 3.0 shaders just fine and was ahead of the competition anyways).

But some people are doing driver tests these days and their findings in recent times are "same within the margin of random measurement variability or slight improvement over time" (and sometimes it's not just fps numbers but old drivers might be unable to run new games without issues - just read the release notes of drivers about (un)resolved game/application issues).

I don't thin they ever neglect cards that are still in the INF and I can't recall if they ever dropped game profiles from drivers (you can still find 10+ years old games on the list). And DX12/Vulkan improvements should be mostly generic, not game dependent (except specific fixes for some titles).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Mapson likes this.
  10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Hags makes no difference on or off. It's also required for frame gen. If someone can't get smooth gameplay with it on, there's something else going on. Unless you're using UEVR which the developer has already stated that hags can sometimes cause stability issues. Other than that, I can't think of any reason not to leave it on.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it causes issues in multiple display environments when video content is active on secondary and primary has gaming content maxing out the gpu (Windows 10, 11 22000)