Why Hilbert???? WHY?!?!?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrRand0m, Dec 18, 2004.

1. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Why parade around these stupid 6200's like they are some sort of innovation???

Historically, these sort of budget cards have only created hassles for people like me who have to try to explain to others why things don't work properly.

I don't care what they say about the technology used in these evil pieces of sh1t- anything that borrows system memory is a bad idea.

I know its targeted at budget PC manufacturers - and thats the problem! budget PC's cause a lot of issues. I know ppl who thought they have bought the latest greatest PC, then nothing will work cause it has like a 8MB integrated SIS video card.

This will just be a repeat of that - people will crack the ****s when they discover that thier normal appz run slow cause thier video card is stealing some of thier ram, let alone game performace.

People should wake up to dodgy hardware. Its our job as guru's to educate end users that price isnt what matters when buying or upgrading a computer. I would never reccommend a card like this.

what does everyone think about this?

2. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    thats only the truecache versions or w/e...not all 6200's steal resourcces....

3. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I don't see a problem with them. It will make no difference what so ever , and Intel has been doing this with it's "Intel Extreme Graphic Controlers" for years.

On a different note ,have you seen how regular 6200 preforms. One of the best budget cards in a while. Look at these:

TAKEN FROM "THE TECH REPORT":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    you are missing kevmif point. Bottom line if you want a top ( or even a not so top notch) notch gaming PC you cannot be counting on a budget card performing miracles. When they tell you this card can play games just fine and then you get it and it sux peeps that suggested the product look like a$$es. Not only did they tell them it can play games flawlessly(when it really cant), but now the money they did have saved they went a spent it on a piece of $hit. Now you are even worse off because now you are @ $0. Instead i would tell someone don't buy that piece of $hit and save a little longer for something that will gratify your gaming expectations

5. wohoo

wohoo Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 Ultra (Leadtek A400 Ul
    Ever since I built my first pc, I've told everyone not to buy a preassembled pc. If you do it yourself you'll get by cheaper + the end result is better. It looks like they dont even bother testing the hardware they sell here, just slap something together and sell it. Ever since I built my own pc, windows hasn't crashed once, thats right, not once. So I rather like windows now when a few years ago I was sure I'd switch to linux for the stability.

And for whatever reason, the preassembled pc's they sell here mostly have a 9600 or a 5700 gpu. So people who arent keeping an eye on the tech dont even know theres better cards out there. Companies advertise these pc's with the 9600's and 5700's as "pc's for the ultimate gamer" etc.

So the common user buys those pc's and think they've got the meanest machine out there while the guy next door has a gpu that 10x faster.

What I do is keep my family educated and they come to me with questions relating these things. And if needed I come here to seek the guidance of fellow gurus.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  6. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Seriously, I wonder if it is a bad thing, or a blessing in desguise. It states that a system with 512 ram will have access to upto 256mb of video ram. So what if the system has 1gig of ram? And realy how many people use all of their ram anyway. I have never seen my system use all it's resources. I am actually thinking of getting this card ans another gig of ram to see how it runs with 2gig os ram. If I am correct it will supply the card with 512mb of video ram. That coupled with the amasing throughput of PCI-X I think performance will be not bad at all. I could be very wrong though and just end up wasting my money. It's very interesting none the less though.

7. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Why not go enthusiastic about it? It's a card that's going to be around $60-100, that's almost fast as a radeon 9600XT. I'd have to say that's good for the budget world.

8. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    i'm sure it has a limit on how much mem to allocate for vid

9. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    You know not many people have the money for a mid-range card. Let them settle with whatever they can buy. Besdies the performance with the 6200 is great.

10. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23518

Go to post #10, which contains the following information:

"GeForce 6200 w/ TurboCache supporting 128MB, including 16MB of local TurboCache: $79
    GeForce 6200 w/ TurboCache supporting 128MB, including 32MB of local TurboCache: $99
    GeForce 6200 w/ TurboCache supporting 256MB, including 64MB of local TurboCache: $129"

So apparently the card can access only 256MB total (the most expensive version), regardless of the RAM available in the system, even if it's 4GB.

Zapmaster is right in a sense; for a budget card, the 6200 does appear to be a better choice than previous low-end cards were when they were new. But kevmif is also right that people are illusioned by vendors' claims that they are selling you the ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE.

The 6200 is only a good buy (for a budget card) if you know what budget-card functionality typically is and you are happy with that. Uneducated people, ideally, should probably have mid-range hardware at the least if they plan on playing any games, not only because those cards are the only ones capable of handling games competently, but because the user will not understand why their ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE is not performing as expected when they launch Doom 3.

11. oc-nighthawk

oc-nighthawk Active Member

GPU:
    GF6800GT/SoftQuadro FX 4000
    I remember back in the day when I graduated from high school I got a 500MHz AMD K6-2 system as a gift. It was cool except it had no AGP. I put in a PCI GF2MX and it did reasonably well for my purposes at the time. Plus you couldn't get much quiter then no fan on the card. =) At least it was silent. =)

If the 6200 is anything like the GF2MX back then then its not so bad for people on a budget as long as they know what they are buying.

12. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    my point is that ppl are constantly getting dooped into buying systems or components that are just plain no good.

I'm forever explaining to people why thier systems don't perform very well.

for example, a while back when PII's were top notch, a friend of mine bought what he thought was a good system. Paid top dollar for it - and what did he get? A dodgy mobo, an internal modem that was not even worth using as a paperweight and a video card that hardly any game would run on.

We have a duty to protect users like that from the evils of cheap assed hardware manufacturers and the resellers that call it good stuff.

My thread wasn't regarding hardcore gamers, it was regarding people who buy components or systems thinking that they are getting a good deal - only to get fu*cked up the ars3.

Even if someone puts one of these turbo cache things in a computer purchased for office purposes - how will they feel when they decide to load up a game on it (say doom3) and it doesnt work? (cause it pretty much wont on the most basic version of this card!) they will think to themselves - i paid good money for this computer, I was told that its top of the line... whats wrong?

There is so much dodgy hardware out there - and its up to us and knowledgeable users or enthusiats to squash it out by trying to educate the common user and by making sure that we never sell of reccommend this type of thing to people, even if thier computing needs are basic - cause there is budget hardware (i.e - normal 128MB 6200) then there is **** hardware (i.e turbocache load of sh1t)

Its not fair that manufacturers cash in on peoples ignorance and we have to do our best to stop it.

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    not everyone is stupidly rich kevmif...
    if I was starting on the PC scene this would be something that I would buy with a cheap ass celeron/PCIe system

14. Ivo

Ivo Active Member

GPU:
    6550m @ 735/975
    Actually the 256 Mb model isn't that bad and the card o/c damn good ... about 90% ot the GPU and almost 50% ot the memory ... and the edn result is that you get a card that is pretty similir in performance to a GeForce 6600NU ( not o/c ) and if the price of that model dropes to about 80-100 $ it woud be quite a card for the budget user ... I claim this information on a review in a site that I trust really much ( I Coud give you the link If you want but it in Bulgarian so I don't think you coud read it ) .
    Then again I don't think that someone with enough money to buy a PC-EXP system buy a budget card , but then again nobody knows :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  15. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850

mate, like I said - there is budget, then there is just plain sh1t. Where did I say anything about getting ppl to buy the latest AMD FX cpu's or 6800 ultra graphics cards?

All I am saying is that there is a lot of "budget" hardware out there that should be avoided at all costs as it just causes problems. In my opinion, this turbo cache card is one of these devices. Also, My assupmtion is that the price difference between a turbo cache and a regular 6200 (which is budget but not dodgy) is minimal. And therefore, anyone who knowingly buys a turbocache as opposed to a regular 6200 is probably too dumb to own a PC and it WILL come back to bite em on the ars3 like so much dodgy hardware has done to ppl in the past. I could go on forever about how much dodgy hardware is out there....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004

16. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Sorry double post. Internet error.

17. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Not every one plays games but have kids who do. This is by no means a bad thing for Parent who want to upgrade their sys. and give their kids some fun to. It's not a Top of the line card, no it's a buget card and any one who does reserch will know that. Those who don't won't care and won't know the diff. If they are buying a this card they obviously need a new one and the one they have now is probably much worse than this card will ever be. In short they will recieve the gain they were looking for.
    My parents, many years ago, bought a P2 250mhz "top of the line" at the time. It came with the best Graph card (Ati 8mb agp) they could afford. It was the best PC I ever used until I got one of my own. They still had it until last year when I gave them my old P4 with a TNT M64. And until then they had no idea how bad the P2 was.
    Not everyone is a hard core gamer. This card is well worth the hype for what it is.

18. rEbirTH

rEbirTH Guest

yeah, the 6200 is POS. you can get a 9700np for that price, like I did. (just $80 total, new).

19. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Pci-express 9700np? I think your heart was in the right place but the buyers we're talking 'bout are getting Pci-E systems. No AGP for them and deffinatly not much gamming.

You have a family, have average income and you need a new car. If you walked into a car dealership and they offered you the BMW M5( 'cause it will go the fastest and it's a sedan) or the Hyndia Elantra ('cause you have a family and you don't need the fastest but you liked the fetures it's got a kickass waranty and it's better than the '87 chrysler you have now). You would take the Hyndia and like it because it is 100X better than your old Chrysler.
    This is just a comparison of situations. I know they don't sell M5's and Hyndia's on the same lots (let alone on the same side of the city). Plus a number of other things. It was written to give you an idea of mind set. Not to get you talking about wich car is better.

20. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    These card's weren't designed for the enthusiasts market anyways. There has to be cards for all markets, and the 6200 fills the lower end non enthusiast market just fine.