Why does HDTUNE say my HDD is 3X as fast as diskmark?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Faye_Kane, May 31, 2013.

1. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    Both are set to 8M block size

[​IMG]

thanx!

--faye kane girl brain

PS
    okay, in this post, I pointed to a pic of my benchmark results side-by-side screenshot, and this is what happened when I posted. Why?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sorry, posted in error.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Because the blogspot URL has been blocked for whatever reason. Imageshack or flikr are OK tho.

If those HD Tune results were accurate it would be the fastest SATA III HDD on the planet.

HD Tune v2.55 was the the one that reported insanely high transfer rates.

I remember a few years ago one guy tried to troll the forum by posting v2.55 results that were off the charts. He was banned. :p

Update to 5.5 or 5.0 and test again....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  4. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    ==--
    I'm finding the latest HDtune now.

> I remember a few years ago one guy tried to troll the forum by posting v2.55 results that were off the charts. He was banned.

No, it won't be necessary to ban me, really!

...Because if you suggest to me again that I made that graph with photoshop to fool people, I'll ban myself from here.

-faye

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I never mentioned Photoshop...there's bug in the HD Tune software that affects the results. It's not your fault...

The guy who was banned was trying to convince people the results were genuine. Most people here aren't that stupid. :) lol

Btw what does it mean by "Naked in a cave.Yes really. See URL l"? I checked your homepage links but didn't see any naked cavers....Bitterly disappointed. :p

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    HD Tune bench

==--
    Okay, the one offered by majorgeeks is 2.55.

It was released in 2008, so that might explain it (though I can't imagine how). I remember the universally-used Norton SI benchmark stopped working after a few years because a counter rolled over after hitting 65,535. Too bad, too, because I wish I could see the Norton SI on my PC here in The Future. An SI of 8 or 12 was blazingly fast then. I estimate this machine now at about 4,500.

In fact, a new PC today has more horsepower than the Cray-II supercomputer, the one kept in a tank of refrigerated, non-conductive oil:

[​IMG]

Anyway, does anyone know of a HD/SSD bench that is the one everybody uses, kind of like the "CPUID" of hard drives?

-faye kane ♀ girl brain

[later edit]: My image didn't show again, but it did for you. Is it something in my board settings? Can other people see the image? Does the guy who runs this board not like blogger, or does he not like me, or what?

7. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    [Uh-oh...] Well it was in my sig until the admin deleted it, called me a spamming troll, and said "I'm keeping my eye on your posts". But since you asked, maybe it's okay. tiny url dot com slash kanecave

Basically, I was a systems programmer and designed nuc stuff too, but I'm autistic and couldn't stand RL because everyone is either evil, stupid, or me. So I found a way to be alone for 3 years.

All I want is to talk about stuff with other smart people, because there aren't any IRL. If I disappear, raise hell with the admin, not me.

Also, what is the generally-used HDD benchmark?

-flk

PS
    The guy who said the results were genuine probably thought they were. Unless he was the one who put the bug in HDTune, he was probably just proud of his rig ...like all guys. ☺

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    MajorGeeks...lol I didn't know that site was still up :p

Yep; http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=145293&t=4&i=1

No no, nothing like that, I simply went to your page and uploaded the screenshot to imageshack, then used imageshack.us to host the picture. :)

If you right click the image and select "view image info" you'll see the imageshack url.

I don't know why blogspot is banned but it's probably because a spambot/spammer was using a blogspot page. This place gets hit by spambots all the time, they leave hidden links in images, profile pages, posts...anything they can.

There are many url's that are restricted on G3D forums not just yours. Don't take it personally. :)

Heh...I can relate to that on both counts....
    I was working as an engineer for a large organization and got to a point where I didn't want to associate with the world...I became a recluse for the next several years- this was some time ago...lol:p

welcome (back) to the forum btw,

9. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    ==-
    Okay, I used your bench. I got this. I hesitate to post it though:

[​IMG]

I don;t think I transfer half a gig per second, but I don;t know why it says it does. Is this in bits/sec? I'm going to find another bench. Say, doesn;t sandra validate results, so you can't cheat? I hate their confusing interface, but I want to prove I didn;t do it in photoshop. Plus it's already installed.

BTW, I'm only using a Kingston SVP200S37A90G. It's cheap and probably not particularly fast.

==[ flk

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wait....you have an SSD? I thought u have HDD....? If I knew you had SSD I would have suggested a different app - THIS ONE.

550Mb/s is normal for SSD depending on whether the benchmark uses compressible or incompressible data

The other HD Tune bench showed a WD HDD with a transfer rate of nearly 6Gb/s which is faster than most SSD's. So now I'm the one confused... what drive do you have?

11. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    Oh wow! Now I see your confusion!

Unfortunately, now I'm confused too. Both benches were on the SSD. I must have selected another in the right-hand dropdown before screen cap.

But I still don;t know why the two benches differ so much.

I ran sandra and it screwed up, and I had to kill the task. Sandra is good for sysinfo, but its benchmark prog is the worst interface I've ever seen in any software, ever. Except Win8.

I'll get the AS bench you suggested now.

....and THANX!

-faye

12. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    > If you right click the image and select "view image info" you'll see the imageshack url.

oh, ok. I'll use imageshack. thx!

> There are many url's that are restricted on G3D forums not just yours.

well they should use a captcha rather than blocking people's posts. Lots of people get so hung up about "security" that they forget to give a dam about whatever it is they're protecting.

> Don't take it personally. :)

Damn. I can never properly calibrate my social context. Either I'm too personal and excited or too aloof and dispassionate. "Autistic" is just a fancy name for "goofy geek".

> I was an engineer for a large organization and got to a point where I didn't want to associate with the world

Businessmen gave ya the BUSINESS, huh!

Me 2. I repeatedly begged the president of the small company to buy a $120 tape backup for a server that had never been backed up in EIGHT years! He was worth 12 million and wore a big block of gold around his neck, but wouldn't pay for pens, much less a tape bkp. No one ever had a pen, because he was afraid people would steal them.

A few months later, the HDD died taking EVERYTHING with it, payroll, customer contacts, inventory, accounting... it was a cash business and there was no way to know how many thousand$ were in the building. Disaster.

Driving home that night I was very depressed. "What could I have done to make it not happen? Should I have asked even more fervently? Paid for the unit myself? I'm a bad IT manager because I let that happen!"

The next day I got fired because everyone in the office assumed I sabotaged it to prove my point.

The worst part is, that's nowhere NEAR the most disheartening of stuff that's happened. Not even close.

> ...I became a recluse for the next several years-

Yeah, well people will keep feeding you sht sandwiches until you stop eating them. I said "well then the hell with everybody" and never DID go back! Best decision I ever made. That's not saying much though.

My only regret is that I didn't blow the explosive bolts a decade or two earlier.

> this was some time ago...lol

Yeah, after all that waiting, The Future finally came. And it was everything I wished for!

...Unfortunately, I wished for all the wrong things, like videophones and talking computers and huge flat TVs on the wall, like on the Jetsons.

What was really important was all around me, but I was too stupid to see it because I was so busy being "smart". Now it's too late.

...ANYWAY, I ran your SSD bench, and got more expectable (and execrable) results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seek time is sure fast! 300 nanoseconds. Light goes one football field in that time. But that's nothing. Your PC can do a double floating MPY before light can go three inches!

That's just the kind of pointless, useless, impersonal stuff I always wished for.

-flk

PS:
    But I found the answer! Yes, my friends! Now I'm SAVED!! Hallelujah!

13. Faye_Kane

Faye_Kane Guest

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 470 o/c
    Ps

PS:
    What's the "standard" 3D graphics card benchmark?
    Is there one?

But it can't require that a game be already installed (because the only 3D game I play is second life), or be a small, fake version and you have to pay for the real benchmark.

-=[ faye kane girl brain

PPS:
    I also look at nvidia demos for hours. Have you seen the latest one, for the Titan. Woh! My 470 can barely keep up.

And have you seen this? It's AMAAAZING! (Skip the BS and go to the middle where the simulation is). I've never seen anything like it in my life! Someday SL will be this real! When it is, I hope they have full-body VR suits! ☺

PPPS:
    I think I'll go into SL now (3:45 am EST Sat). I'm faye paine there.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Your SSD seems to perform like it should. For 3D benchmark, 3DMark is the "standard". I'd use 3DMark11 instead the newest version though.