Why does ATI suck at the drivers so much?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Russ369, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So Sick

So Sick Guest

GPU:
    twinfrII HD6950 1000/1475
    I used to have 2 5770's and I must say it was a lot of work and very often I ran into performance issues without changing a single thing. To make it all even more complicated I used a x16 5gt slot and x4 2.5gt PCI-e slot. The performace issues were a real challenge to me and I still use a lot of hand made registry fixes after every driver update.

The constant tweaking and tuning battle presented me some unexpected things:

1. Powertune (or Power..something...just block it so good the name is gone too) cripples the performance so I kill it in every possible way. I was a little ashamed when the hardworking Guru3d reviewer showed a graph that made us aware the card is not constantly using the same clockspeed. I tell you one thing: mine does. And when I have 2 cards they both run at extreme speeds...and that gives you a lot more performance.. Just run MSI AB and disable powertune in cfg file and also disable it in the windows registry. That is the most abvious error Cfx runs into all the time.
    MSI AB allows you to set a 2d profile and a 3d profile...volia...works like a ehm...dutchman :)

2. The thing that surprised me the most was the corrupt driver every single tuime i updated it. Windows just lost the battle from my cfx terror duo almost every month. My solution: re-image OS and clean driver install. As far as i know this was the only proper way to setup cfx... The driver sweeper and ccleaner method is not documented properly as well I think. It's needed to uninstall every application that even names your card...MSI AB, Radeon Pro, Powerstrip and all the stuff only you know it's on your machine. After that you delete the remaing stuff by hand...in windows and in the registry. Off course you can use TWL's tools as well for this as long as you get the way he moves in mysterious ways (...). ANd when it's clean: Push the setup button and prey. Now and then it works but I always ran into stuff i didnt want to see so...format D: byebye zwaaizwaai (dutch). re-image OS and install catalyst driver , disable the powersaving thrash and be victorious after all..
    You are a tweaker or not huh...and well..it worked for some time after these actions ;)
    I still will be buying a second card again when i have a better systemboard form them.. Nvidia is a completely different story and is crippled in many other ways. I prefer them tough catalyst-drivers over the forceware cry-ware :D

catalyst gives you more work but also a better result. ugh.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    About the availability of ati cards, recently they are hard to come by, this goes for the 6950 and 6970 series. At least in my country. I'm checking these cards since later this year I want to purchase one, and peek for prices.
    They come in for a few days, and are sold out again after that.
    Tbh, the same goes for the 560TI cards.
    They are in demand at the moment.

As for the drivers,
    really, this already happened in the days of the TI4200-4600 cards from nvidia.
    Some drivers gave much more performance than others, as was with ati drivers.
    I had a driver that lasted me some time, but then I needed to upgrade this driver in order to be able to play certain newer games. It took a decent performance hit.
    As for the problems certain drivers cause on certain systems, that's an old hat also.
    It goes for both brands, in the past and in the present.

oMVo is correct.

3. So Sick

So Sick Guest

GPU:
    Yes indeed you're right about the availability...I think it's in some way a tactitcal decision from a lot of vga card producers...In NL only our own club3d still puts it's sticker on the ref model, sapphire is best available and sometimes a few xfx and Gigabyte cards are in the stores so it seems..MSI and Asus, Powercolor seem to be very hard to get.

Been puzz;ed bout it form some time now. Would this mean new cards are soon to come and are so much better or more profitable the companies are more content about producing those? Or maybe the new cards are a real challenge for the producers and they decided to concentrate on succeeding in creating a good card?

Sapphiremight be sponsored a little by AMD for still producing the current line up and creating new models...It has always been a strange player in the business if you ask me.

Or am I seeing things again :D

BTW ti4200??? My first nvidia chip was a Diamond viper v550 with a Nvidia Riva tnt chip and most certainly it had driver issues...although by then the games (f.e. Dungeon Keeper 2 :p)were more adapting to the driver and nowadays it's the other way around. 2 chips later the first geforce chip was born and believe me Nvidia deleivered some higlights in those days... followed by some miss creations too but they were, are and will be pioneers in 3d.

geforce gts and gefore 8800 ultra are the most revolutionary cards ever made In my opinion. The geforce 5900ultra was the worst nvidia had 3 different samples of the nv40 in research in different departments of their company without knowing it....communication crisis...

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    My first real card was a Diamond Stealth3D 2000, then later on paired with a Monster3D for a pseudo-SLI boost, before Voodoo cards were out.
    After that, straight to NV's first in the GeForce line, the 256; still had both the box and the VGA, but not the expansion slot. =b

5. So Sick

So Sick Guest

GPU:
    yeahhh I remember I was telling my friends I wanted a Monster 3D card (because it's name was Monster haha) but I was rather newbie and didnt understand the technique so ended up with the Viper V550 16MB SDR. next to a celeron 366 128 kb L2 cache 1317 3dmarks in 3dmark2000...my mind is so sick for remembering

Ans indeed the first of the gladitors was named gf 256 and not gf gts... played Rally championship 2000 on it with those beautiful long stages and great graphics.

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I had the diamond monster card paired with a 2MB ati 3drage card, I believe it was in the time of dx3. It sure played the games fine, at least at that time it looked stunning. My first nvidia card was the diamond viper v770 tnt2, after that the v7700 gf2, and finally ti4400, after that I went for ati since desktop image looked crispier compared to nvidia cards. Especially the fonts.
    Anyway, back in those early tnt days there were already speed differences between driver versions. Most of it was because graphics became better or worse between driver versions, which resulted in higher or lower fps, or 3dmark scores.
    Both nvidia and ati had driver releases that promised more speed for present cards.
    Come to think of it, on an ati 1MB card I installed dx2 because it was needed for certain games, it did not improve speed though, you needed to get more memory and a faster cpu for that, which was actually possible on that first ati card I had. It was with tnt2 and later the geforce cards where speed could improve or not.
    That's because games were not optimized anymore for a limit of memory, the videocards chipset came in play. The more chipsets, the more variation between different driver models.
    Anyway, the topic title is not valid.

7. So Sick

So Sick Guest

GPU:
    I agree with you and i wasn't aware of the fonts supriority of the red team. It seems like ppl always want to tell positive things about the card i dont have at that moment. I think Nvidia's Image quality has been less than ati's in various previous gens. At this moment they're very competetive but that doesn't mean ati cheats (on hw level) or other bogus stories I read lately. The drivers are just fine and the hardware layout with more shaders but at a lower frequency gives the ATI card a more decent feel especially when you didn't have shing new cpu at that moment. kudo's for nv for their tess. performance though. nice cards as well...stupid thing nvidia offered me no card at all 2nd time in a row because I wanted mulitmonitor setup with 1 card (to start off with...

sick digit's in my mind: 1317 3dmarks in 3dmark2000 hahaha...even better: when I was 8 I ran the 1000 metres in 3.48.4 min...national 3rd yeartime too woohoo...anyone can top my photographic mem ...that's GDDR 8 12.6 Ghz I tell ya...I am the blue team and remember it at 64XMSAA widetent (24 year old statistics)

8. So Sick

So Sick Guest

GPU:
    ehm...delete? doublepost

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    such a retard

every 590 except an asus is out of stock, & it also says 'limit 1 per customer'

flashing textures is just the craters on the new maps, dice's fault

blank screen only happens with bloom on & only with multiple cards, then again you stupidly say driver's fault when it happens identically on nvidia

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    If it also happens on Nvidia, then its definitely not a driver problem, as they don't have them.

11. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx

My God....WHATEVER!!!!.........can anyone say user error/corrupted os or what!

Eyefinity @ 6048x1200 with dual 6990cfx - L4D2 = 150/250fps constant depending on mp map with every setting maxed but only 2 x msaa, Deadspace 2 runs no issue, Battlefield runs no issue, never had a crash with any of these games.

M8 you had some serious issues with you system (NOT YOUR CFX) if you were having the problems you describe.

I've got both nvidia and amd/ati rigs.....both have issue not only with sli/cfx but single card as well due to drivers.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    takes one to know one

13. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    Ohhh! Good one! That stings! Yeah you're really are proving you're not a moron now!

14. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Classic thread :)

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    When I had my Radeon setups, I never really had any major driver issues.

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    How many years ago was that?

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Probably like 2-3 years ago, the only thing I would notice is in like 1 or 2 games my clocks would go down when I had the 2 4870's in crossfire.

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    you're still a retard? you have ZERO credibility & no way out

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sorry man, your system must have a couple of serious bugs. I've played half of the games you mention and I've never had a crash. In fact...I cant remember the last time I did have a crash. Maybe back in the days when I was running Win2k or something (and I didnt even have ATi then). Sure, there has been a few issues with CFX while playing RIFT and Witcher 2 but those problems were eventually solved.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    A bit of a follow up... have now a 8800GT installed with latest drivers.

Trying to launch nvmonitor creates a BSOD. Can be repeated over and over again. Never had problems like this with Ati.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.