Why does ATI suck at the drivers so much?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Russ369, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    I mean... cmon... these guys are certified professionals, trained in IT for years... I don't get why its so difficult for them to have normal working drivers for every game? It always seems one games problem is fixed, while at the same time creating another... The industry tries to push CFX on us, but the functionality sucks and the negative scaling is still prominent even after all these years... I just don't get what nvidia has in terms of software and driver support that ati can't find...

Sorry for my rant, but i dropped big money on these cards and they are very underwhelming to say the least...

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Having used both Crossfire & SLI extensively (last xfire rig was 2x5870's), I'd say ATI has caught up alot over the last year or so to the point where Nvidia & ATI are pretty much even in terms of driver support. I mean, the last 3 games I've been playing have all had SLI issues

- Crysis 2 = excellent scaling, but mad flickering everywhere when enabled
    - Witcher 2 = excellent scaling, but only if u tweak via nvinspector & that causes light bleed everywhere!
    - Shogun 2 = minimal scaling, but no graphical glitches.

I'd actually say, having returned back to Nv recently, that Nv have got a bit worse with SLI support since the last time I used them, but that could just be random based on the games ive been picking up.

Anyhow, my point is that both companies have their share of driver issues and as far as ive seen it evens itself out in terms of who's are better/worse.

3. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Crysis 2 using ANY 11.5 CAPS KILLS the performance by more than 50% for me... I would have to play without caps to get decent FPS in 6100x1080 res...

but by doing that, that is not using any Caps, I would KILL performance in Witcher 2... where I only get 50-60% gpu usage in CFX...

Always a give or take with ATI... can't have ur cake and eat it too... smh

4. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX570 X 4GB
    I'm on a single card but i have a few problems too. Problems that i never had with Nvidia cards..so i can feel your pain! Performance is good, but i get "flashing textures" and/or flickering on DX10/DX11 games. I tried all drivers since this card is out, tried different settings on CCC but no luck! I'm getting tire of this! Time to sell my HD6950...

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Nvidia sh!t also sucks:
    DIRT3 DX11 mode is f@cked UP
    Witcher 2 at start has no SLI support, on CF setups we play with Radeon Pro and AFR
    DAO2 DX11 mode: 2 months of sh!t performance and great hotfix(500% performance) from nvidia bitches.
    Crysis 2? WTF? 8.850 rocks
    So who sucks? :eyebrows:

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    They're both good(Single GPU)

7. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Yeah thats great, but then they need to STOP pushing CFX if it clearly isn't working properly...

And PLEASE don't make me get into the numerous issues I have with eyefinity... jeezsus hrist

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    Why should they? They just get some nice extra money from people. They will never give somer uber great and fast support just for 2%(?) of their costumers. It would be stupid and insane if they would.

9. Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080 Black
    Sorry bro, but when you buy a CFX or SLI setup you are begging to have problems.
    These tecnologies are fundamentaly flawed. If you dont want to invest time and money micro managing obscure settings and registry keys just do what I do, buy only 1 card.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    This is exactly why i sold one of my 2 HD6950 i had in Crossfire , drivers for crossfire sucks big time with so many games , i got tired of trying everything and jump tru hoops to get crossfire working in some games. I Kept only one , i hard volt moded the card and overclock it to the max on water ,now i have a single HD6950 unlocked to 1536sp(basicly a HD6970) overclocked to 1025/1500Mhz 1.27v on H2O max temps are around 48c ,iddle at 29c and problem solved :D , now i dont need no caps , changing games exe. files , game profiles etc.. Im very happy with my desision to drop crossfire and stick with a single powerful card , no more worries and headaches.

11. evil_religion

evil_religion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    I hate that you can't force AA for many games with ATI - either the results suck (graphics broken) or forcing AA is disabled in driver game profiles. Sucks.
    With Nvidia you can force AA for more games and the result is mostly better.
    Also, Nvidia's AF is (slightly) better than the one of ATI 6k. Nvidia's SSAA is better too, not blurry with complex HDR and works for DirectX 10 & 11. You can even combine SSAA with MSAA and also CSAA, if I'm not mistaken.
    My next buy will be single GPU Nvidia, at least if their hardware will be good.

Multi GPU sucks in general, had a GTX 295. Consiedring that Crossfire is even worse... :puke2:

12. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea I would say that for the games I have I have had more issues with my 5970 than with my gtx 470's sli. They have issues no matter what but it seems for me that nvidia gets them fixed faster and they stay fixed for the most part. Where as with my 5970 stuff like hdmi handshake issues were there till about a driver or two ago and it still creeps up now and then. Also Dirt 3 has a slew of issues, in car view bug with mirrows, no crossfire in dx9, random slowdowns that cause sever input lag. All in all better experience on my sli rig.

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    SSAA from ATI only works with DX9 but it s superior (IQ) to Nvidia. I didnt know Nv SSAA works on DX10/11 so that s better than ATI in that regard.

Nvidia AF is better than ATI 5xxx series. That s a fact. I m not sure about 6xxx series.

Multigpu is great when it works. At least I am very happy with mine running 3 gpus.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    You'll have to get a console, as AMD's drivers are the same as Nvidia's.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Got proof of this? It's been known for years now that multi-gpu solutions have problems. It's nothing new, nor has this information been hidden to any extent. ATI and nVidia don't try to force multi-gpu configurations on anyone, they simply make them available.

Would you like to borrow my GTX460 for a few days? You can see just how bad nVidia can get... I built my system to work as a media center as well as for gaming. So far, I can game....when nVidia actually produces a useable driver. I can't however, use any HTPC functions as the end result is similar to watching 1980's cable TV.... The color is extremely washed out, images are blurry/pixelated, and quite frankly I find this rather pathetic for a $250 card (at time of purchase). I'm contemplating reinstalling my HD4850 so I can get my HTPC functionality back... This GTX460 has turned out to be the absolute worst graphics card I've ever owned....

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I had a similar problem on my HDTV after moving from ATI.
    At first I cursed and thought there was something wrong.
    But after radically changing the settings on my TV, its just as good.
    It really needed big adjustments though.

Being blurry/pixelated sounds like the TV may be underscanning/overscanning and the graphics card compensates to get it to fill the screen.
    This makes it look like crap.
    ...maybe :)

17. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    I have 2 6970`s and cf works great for me providing the game supports it,what people have to consider is todays gpu`s were developed some time before the latest drivers were,why is it Ati and Nvidia have to adapt there drivers to the games...it should be the other way round

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    +1 couldn't have said it better.

On the other hand all this adapting between hardware architecture, direct x version and games always seems to break things that did work.

19. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    For me AMD drivers are better now than they were for most of last year. I get good scaling in all my games which I actually need it in so I'm happy.

20. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I can say that after going from a 1900xtx,to 3 gtx260's, then to 2 4890's, then to 2 5870's, and finally to my Current 2 580's that to be honest if Nvidia released drivers as much as ATI did the amount of complaints would probably be the same. I think if we(the users) all just found a set we liked and stuck with them until we found something that didn't work, and required a driver update to work, that we wouldn't realize all the bugs that come with the improvements. Its like having a new car(the driver) and getting a small scratch on it(the bug) as soon as you see the scratch, no matter how minor or un-visible(is that a word) it is to anyone else; you know its there, and are disgusted with it. Lets face it we all look for that magic driver that is going to give us that major performance boost. Then when it doesn't deliver and breaks something that worked, we bash it or drive it into the ground. I totally agree with Goose's comment "why is it Ati and Nvidia have to adapt there drivers to the games...it should be the other way round"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.