Why does 30 fps on PC not look as smooth as 30 fps on console?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Aug 20, 2020.

1. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Member Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Deactivate Vsync in games and force 1/2 Refresh rate using Nvidia Inspector. You got smooth as butter 30 FPS similar to consoles.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    You could test nvidia frame rate limiter which seems to be very solid or the one included in Radeon, which is this:

3. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    @Darren Hodgson seems like there's been a lot of discussion here but doesn't look like anybody mentioned this one thing I've felt and noticed.

The biggest potential reason in your setup is Gsync. I have noticed 30 FPS on Gsync looks like complete garbage and looks a lot better on a regular display. Blurbusters mentioned that when a Gsync monitor goes under ~36FPS, the monitor starts adding duplicate refreshes in between to compensate and that's been my experience ever since I bought a Gsync monitor years ago, I've pretty much stopped playing anything where I can't maintain 40+ FPS minimum it's an unplayable choppy mess otherwise that I cannot stand. I would suggest that you try those same games after disabling Gsync to see if you notice any difference.

enkoo1 and BlindBison like this.
  4. Xhah

Xhah New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GT440
    It's not all that difficult. There are 3 key things one must remember:

1. Frame rate: Your frame rate must be exactly half or quarter of your refresh rate, otherwise you'll notice frame judder or frame jumping. If you've a 120Hz panel then cap it to either 30 or 60 or 120 and not somewhere in-between like 75 or whatever. The OP locked the game at 30FPS on his 165Hz monitor which is a HUGE no no as 165 ÷ 4 = 41.25.

2. Frame time: Another aspect that's often overlooked. If you look at Digital Foundry's console benchmarks you'll see that 30FPS console games run at an exact 33.33ms which contributes to their smoothness as each frame is being rendered for exactly 2 refresh cycles and not a millisecond more.

Now here's the thing, if you turn-on the frame times graph in MSI Afterburner you'll notice that Nvidia and AMD's built-in frame locking utilities don't work as good as they should and fluctuate a lot, usually in 15-20ms range which is a LOT, especially if you compare them to consoles! Your eyes may not notice such miniscule stutters but it's there alright! The best tool for this purpose is RTSS which comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and does a MARVELOUS job of locking your frame times.

3. Vsync: This one is a no brainer, really. If you want smoothness then you'll have to sync your frames with your monitor's refresh rate otherwise you'll notice tearing and micro stutters.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    As has been discussed before here, its not frametimes. Why people keep repeating this? Also, its not "vsync", you must use "half v-sync" in combination with RTSS at 30 fps. Even getting 30 fps at 33.3 ms on PC, you won't get the feel of console 30 fps smoothness. You should have take the time to read everything that has been saind on this thread instead of giving such a blind response that has already been suggested by some in here as well. Most of us are well aware what frametime is and often, this isn't the problem when you try to get "console-like" 30 fps on PC.

6. Xhah

Xhah New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GT440
    Let me ask you something first; do you think half vsync caps a 60Hz monitor to 30Hz?

No, it doesn't. It simply renders each frame for 2 refresh cycles, and one can achieve the same "effect" by locking the frame rate with RTSS. And what else, I just forced half vsync in Hitman (my PC can't quite push it to 60) and didn't notice any difference between half and full vsync.

But if you think half vsync makes a world of a difference and frame times are absolutely irrelevant then so be it! I'm not looking for a pointless debate.

7. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    Do not try any more methods to get 30 fps from the console, nothing works, the only thing that can be achieved is 30 fps raw without any smoothness, it is what it is.

enkoo1 likes this.
  8. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2060 6Gb
    Hmm. My display has a 40-120 range. I didn't notice this issue when I tried to limit the fps to a constant number below 40.
    nVidia didn't give it a name like AMD did: Low Framerate Compensation (if I recall correctly) but they supposedly had it from G-Sync's initial public launch (AMD only added this to FreeSync a bit later than they introduced FreeSync to the public).
    So, may be it only happens with varying framerates below your range. But since we talk abut a constant 30 fps limit here anyway..., I don't know...
    G-Sync should be "perfect" for a constant 30 fps limited scenario (low lag, no tearing, etc). Most displays would of course actually get 60 from the driver but those kinds of even frame duplications should be fully invisible (the image doesn't actually change on the screen at all - you can't see what's not even there...).

Do in-game and/or RTSS / nV v3 limiters help to smooth out the sampling of the inputs, aka create even scene pacing?
    I think AMD Chill claims to do something like that (on top of limiting the fps). But I never tried that with FreeSync (especially not with a constant 30 fps limit -> min=max=30 in this case).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  9. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @OrdinaryOregano I have G-Sync myself and have tested 30 FPS w/ G-Sync (fps limiters) VS 30 FPS (fps limiters) w/ half-refresh v-sync on my fixed 60 hz panel and yeah -- 30 fps definitely looks smoother to the eye with the fixed refresh panel/half refresh v-sync. That said input lag (even with the blurbusters low lag trick w/ FPS limiter) is noticeably better with g-sync so it might still be preferred overall for that reason.