Why do we have the News on T.V (Please stay calm and think about it)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by (.)(.), Oct 9, 2012.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Internet based news articles and TV based news articles are focussed on different aspects, and neither can really replace the other.

In terms of what 'Cowie' was talking about, sure, sometimes they do target their discussion towards a certain opinion, but since you don't live in one of those certain countries where your opinion is what they tell you it is (where 'accidents' may happen if you do :hort: :3eyes:), then their opinion doesn't really matter; it's what you decide to think of the article that matters.

2. MerkageTurk

MerkageTurk Banned

GPU:
    GTX 580sli + GTX 260
    illuminati :puke2:

3. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This is worth a watch. CNN reporter blowing the whistle on CNN that forced her to report false stories about Bahrain. I pretty much view all media this way. Nothing but propaganda machines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZtliT1qqc

4. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    well said cowie...well said!

5. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I remember seeing or hearing something somewhere that TV news is presented in such a way to shock people. They also pick and choose what they want you to see and not see. I stopped watching TV because half of what you see are advertisements.

6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Its worth watching if there is a hot presenter or a weather girl ;)

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The reason the news broadcasts so much hateful and violent stuff is because it's what we as a species want to see. What's the point in denying it? It's not like there's some secret plot a work here. They broadcast what gets them the most ratings; aka what we actually want to watch.

As for the actual psychological reasoning as to why we love seeing other people outside our group suffer, no idea. It's our evolutionary programming.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Of course :) Like I said before, news is part entertainment!

9. The Lengthy One

The Lengthy One Banned

GPU:
    2x 680 SLI
    This is actually WHY we have news on TV.

I avoid it.

10. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The only time I watch or actually read the news is when I go out and the place I am at will have the TV there on a 24 hour news channel, or they may have a newspaper there.

11. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    I'm not sure where you live, but in a democracy it's important for the voting public to be informed (a big part of our current failings). If you give the people the right to vote but they don't actually know WTF is going on how can they form an opinion? Good democracy depends on a well informed electorate.

You ask what you do with it, you vote for somebody who will stop it (or keep doing it if that's your thing).

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    If you don't like it don't watch it.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Why would anyone trust the big 3 news
    For years they have done thing like put flares in gastanks to blow up and stuff....basicly took everybody for fools.
    http://walterolson.com/articles/crashtests.html

This is big season for press in the states right now with alot of bs and MONEY going on,both are piled up pretty high already.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    And if you don't agree with what they are saying they cut you off. Just look at that tool Bill O'Reilly for example. If his guests don't agree with his opinions he yells at them and cuts their microphones.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

^Obama Voter?...Maybe...:)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How many decades ago did 'if it bleeds it leads' enter the lexicon?
    "In keeping with Channel 40's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts, and in living color, you are going to see another first — attempted suicide."
    — Christine Chubbuck, July 15, 1974, right before committing suicide on live TV

17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well that's probably the first time I've seen somebody link to an Alex Jones story that checks out, Kudos.

Guardian article Since some folks don't like watching video's.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  18. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Regardless of the liberal or conservative spin some news stations put on their broadcast, I think its a great to have news available on television. Not everyone reads the newspaper, or gets their news from online sources, and its nice to have the option to be informed via the tele. Personally, I prefer knowing pertinent news in my local neighborhood and being able to keep up with major world events and politics. Weather and traffic news is also very helpful. I just don't like when the news talks about pointless bologna like how some local family donated money to charity or how a cat was stuck in a tree near University of South Florida.