Why do people troll?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sdamaged99, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Since when did troll become a word to describe a sociopath with malicious intent?

Last time I checked it was a harmless prankster that at the end of the day was hilarious. Nowadays any sick bastard that says a rude comment about the death of someone is a troll? No!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Basquedude

Basquedude Member Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 5970 2GB
    Nowadays n00bs dont even know what trolling is and the only bigger n00bs are the ones doing it.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^you know what trolling is dont you?

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    People troll in real life just the same.

5. Basquedude

Basquedude Member Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 5970 2GB
    Yes its what you are doing right now ;)

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i was going to troll this thread but this OP is soo serious...

btw the word" troll" is getting a bit over-hyped, they have always been there, but now they got a funny name thats all :)

7. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Yes, lets give the state more power to arrest over hurt feelings. Next up: Political opinions I don't like.

Trolling like that is juvenile and speaks to a very insecure person. You just don't go after people for that.

That said, normal trolling, especially of political threads, can be hilarious. Taking the piss out of people who take themselves too seriously can be a lot of fun (Just don't do it here).

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG]

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes, let's start arresting people for thought crimes now. What a genius idea.

10. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    This thread reminds me of when Charlie Demerjian crossed the line according to some guy...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Eh limited status

12. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Let´s just say that there´s good trolls and bad trolls and somewhat between there´s respect and funny.

13. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  14. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    sometimes when bored, it can be fun. when i troll i spout crap that i dont even mean, just to see how many people get butt hurt over it. i look at it sorta as a social experiment. maybe if people would react less to what others think and stay focused on themselves a lot less bull**** laws would exist.

15. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    In real life u call em bullies sometimes it involves physical actions now the internet version is trolls.

16. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    Although I do agree with you, there is something I do need to point out and say to you and others.

I take it we are all familiar with the internet meme that the internet is serious business?

People should try to turn the other cheek, so to speak. If some arse wants to act the fool on the internet because it makes him feel big then he should be ignored to the nth degree. It is the emotional and angry responses that make these trolls feel that they have achieved their purpose.

Without your responses these trolls will soon feel very deflated.

Food for thought huh?

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Cracking university study on the 'trolling' phenomena here.

18. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    The reason why people troll is because it's fun, but I think OP might be getting bullying confused with trolling. Trolling is when you just try to make someone, angry, and not really with the intent to hurt them. Bullying is the intention of being cruel. and hurtful toward someone. Some deterring factors are damaging things, irreversible consequences, etc.

Also you must remember feelings are subjective so if someone trolls someone and they take it too seriously, you can't blame the troll for not being a mind reader who can predict the future. It would be no different than punishing someone for liking something someone else doesn't like.

19. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    People were trolling each other all history of mankind. Although it was not called "trolling" back in the days. For example Shakespeare - great troll. Or Pushkin or Richard Feynman (my favorite!). And now we consider these people as great scientists, artists.
    And there were always people like OP - saying that we must put'em all in jail, that we need more control and so on. 1984....

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, they are writing down their thoughts in an attempt to hurt another person and that is a very big difference.