Why do people always go on about wanting Stock Android?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by miffywiffy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Seriously it is ****, so featureless, it is like using a Smart Phone from back in 2009 or something. All the programs just don't quite have the functionality, it drains the battery like mad and it is so slow, the Chrome browser on Android sucks, it's the worst thing I've ever used, seriously my GS2 is faster with the stock Browser.

TouchWiz gets a lot of hate, maybe because it used to suck, I dunno as my first Samsung phone was the GS2. However using my friends Note 2 and GS3 (he has them both, I dunno why) TouchWiz just has so much functionality. Stuff like PiP so you can watch video while browsing is amazing, having multiple Windows open like a Desktop is amazing too. I love how it has Micro SD and a removable battery and you can plug it in and transfer files to and from your PC with no effort. I love all the extra features Samsung add to the Camera, their Music player is much better than Stock too.

Omg flashing Roms with Odin is so much easier than the pages of tutorials you have to go through with this Nexus 4. I bought the device knowing what I was getting in to, I knew the battery life would be shockingly poor and I knew it only had 11GB of usable storage. However I sold my GS2 and the Nexus 4 only cost an extra £50 which is good value I must say.

However I don't like the phone, it is like Google are trying to make an iPhone. I don't just mean the stupid glass back it has which I have no idea why phones are being made out of glass and metal these days. Plastic is a much more durable material which means you don't have to buy a case to protect it. Everyone I know who buys an iPhone buys a stupid plastic case that makes it bulky and ugly....... at that point just buy a plastic phone that you don't need the case.

Google seemed to have disabled stuff like easy file transferring, no OTG, no Micro SD, no Removable battery... in fact nothing you'd want for an open OS, it seems like they're slowly moving to be a closed environment.

I've gone so far off topic here but anyways TouchWiz is so much better than Stock Android, it gets a lot of hate, I dunno why as it adds so much functionality. Have to say I'm going to be selling this Nexus 4 and getting a GS4 in May or June or whenever it comes out. Samsung know how to make good phones now, Google don't, in fact they take 2 months to get them in stock lol.

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    My thoughts exactly but not sure where this thread is going??? LOL

I love my S2 running custom Rom/Kernel + tweaks, its amazingly fast and far superior to stock, but i guess some folks just like vanilla?!

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Sense is terrible, Touchwiz is fairly poor on the S2 but hopefully will improve when it gets the new one with JB (same as S3 then as awell).

Sony Xperia Home is pretty good although missing the odd feature I'd like.

I like CM's Trebuchet as aswell.

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    Chrome runs awesome on my S2. Running The Sith 4 rom, cpu @ 1.83ghz. Stock Android is boring but doesnt suck so much. Even stock beats the eff out of iOS. I love being able to sync my ps3 controller to my phone etc. Use my phone as a bluetooth remote/device on my ps3 as well. Among so many other things crappy iOS devices cant. I have a friends with lower end androids and stock s2s and love them exactly how they are and have no complaints. They are just normal android users.

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'm guessing some people are feeling more safe with an oem rom, then a custom built one..

For me, stock is useless, first custom rom I tried on my Galaxy S, was DarkyRom... Was a great rom, since it was one of the first ones, but it got slow and sloppy after some time..
    Next I went onto AllianceRom.. good for a month or two, then getting slow and unresponsive again..

Currently running CM10 + custom launcher, and it's incredibly fast, despite of a bunch of installed apps, also the battery life is superb.. Clearly one of the best (if not THE best) roms for the Galaxy S

6. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Its just probably about the UI, mainly the touchwiz, was always ugly as hell,
    with the latest note2 and GS3 they are indeed better, but comparing to stock android or another device like htc or sony its still kinda ugly, and generates some hate.

I doubt people dont want those extra features/optiimizations GS3/Sony/HTC/etc devices have, but they tend to mess the UI just too much, they change the usual android UIs of (ex.) messaging/phone dialers/calendar/etc just to match their devices extra features designs.

IMHO some just want to have those extra features/apps but with regular android design like nononsense notes or IM+.

My 2 cents

7. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I actually like the look & feel of TouchWiz on my Note 2. Very smooth and slick animations.I really like the way they folders. I don't get why all the hate. I had a Galaxy Nexus prior & this is so much better. I wouldn't mind trying photoshere, but the camera on the Note 2 is pretty damn nice. Lots of cool tricks and features.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I just prefer stock? Stock Android 4.x isn't bad, not sure why the hate, and plus, stock means no extra framework and etc. It makes it easier for hacking and etc. I personally like the look of stock Android including the launcher.

As for featureless, it all depends on what custom ROM you use. Most of the custom ROMs I use are based on the AOSP ROM and not the CyanogenMOD/AOKP ROMs which means it's rather stock but still provides me with the features I want like customizable quick settings in my notification drawer.

The older TouchWiz UI was really terrible, Samsung did improve on it, it's a lot better than it was before, not a fan of Sense since the recent changes looks bad and didn't perform as well.

As for "easy file transferring", not sure what the issue is, MTP is available on all operating systems, it's just that Apple didn't bundle it out of the box. On Windows machines, it's plug and go. On Linux, it's just mounting it through a FUSE file system driver. I prefer this route over using FAT32, this solves Google's filesystem licensing problems, the 4 GB file limit and not using an outdated filesystem that can easily corrupt itself. The ext4 file system is superior in every way. At least Google didn't force you to install an ext4 file system driver on your Windows or Mac systems and chose a more common route of doing it which is MTP. Even back during the Symbian days, Nokia supported this method as the preferred method with block level access as optional.

EDIT: Flashing ROMs with Nexus devices are rather simple: unlock bootloader, flash the recovery, flash the ROM. Done. Not sure why you needed so many tutorials.

EDIT2: As for cases, there are people like me who don't wear skinny jeans, we put phone cases regardless of what the phone's made of because smartphones these days aren't as durable as they used to be because everyone's all about thinness, and crap that some people like me could care less. I put a case even on my Nexus S which is a plastic device and some cases actually look pretty good on some people's phone.

EDIT3: The beauty of Android is about choice, you get a wide range of choices and you get to choose what "flavour" of Android you're going to get, seems like Google's stock Android isn't for you, but for the majority of people who are power users and like modifying it, love stock Android and build ROMs out of it.

deltatux

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Not sure why the hate either.. I admit I've been an Iphone guy and only recently moved to Android, but my Optimus G runs 4.1 and honestly its a great OS.. even though its stock I find that LG did some cool things to ICS and overall the experience Ive had with the phone has been good.
    I have mine rooted which is nice but currently there aren't any available roms for this phone, not yet anyway, but I'm sure once there are some to try I will give them a go.

Not like the stock is hampering me in any way though.. works great and is fast and fluid..? call me crazy I guess.

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Shouldn't take long for Optimus G ROMs to start springing up since it's a direct relative to the Nexus 4. They practically share 90% of similarity.

deltatux

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    TouchWiz is good??? TouchWiz sucks. I had to load Nemus Launcher on my Galaxy Stellar just to be able to use my phone. That 1, simple change, reduced battery drain by 50%. My phone is currently at 80% battery life remaining....with TouchWiz, it was at 60% after the same time frame. Next I need to root this thing....if I can find a guide that's actually worth reading.

12. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    It may be featureless but it doesn't have ANY of the bloatware the manufacturers like HTC & Samsung love to put all over their devices.

Think of it like a clean windows install minus all the crap bloatware that HP, Dell, etc. put on their PC's.

It's great to build you own Android experience using a custom launcher of your choice and the default apps of your choice the same way you build you PC experience, start with a clean install then add the software of your choice over the top of that instead of relying on the choices an OEM has made for you.

This "stock" browser is part of the "Stock" android experience, Chrome is just another option to the stock AOSP browser. Google just decided to remove the AOSP browser and include Chrome in 4.1 / 4.2 due to Adobe dropping flash support.
    It's still included in any AOSP release, just not stock Google images.

It's personal preference, and yes it's gotten better in the last 12 - 18 mths, but al ot of the hate for Touchwiz & Sense comes from the lag they add to lower end / older devices.

Actually it's the OEM things like Touchwiz & Sense that drain the battery and slow things down, try a stock AOSP and then tell me Touchwiz is faster, I guarantee it's not simply down to the extra RAM it hogs

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    I have a sony xperia tipo (spend like 1€ per month on calls so it's not like any com,pany will give me some mobile phone, plus looked good for only 80€) and stock android was fine. In fact i still have it (no ROMs yet for tipo, only betas), rooted, removed crap and it works great, but stock also did, 2days battery life when heavily used, like 4 when used a little, and i guess 5-7 when only @ standby.

Well okay, it came with sony "launcher", maybe that makes it better?

14. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I was going to get rid of my Galaxy S2 and get Nexus 4. then i rooted it again, loaded custom rom, customised it slightly and im so glad i saved money. It feels like a brand new phone, god some cool widgets, nova launcher. I think once my contract expires ill keep this phone.

One problem is battery, it wasnt great at first and its slowly getting worse. But i can always buy new battery.

15. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I own an S2 with custom JellyBean ROM (although it is TouchWiz based) and have no problems I enjoy it. Has multi-window and most of the S3 features built in (smart stay etc.).

I do have a Nexus 7 and I in some areas agree vanilla Android is...well vanilla. I've played with on both devices AOSP/AOKP/CM and whatnot and currently I'm running a TouchWiz based ROM for the Nexus 7 if that tells you anything LOL. It's floating on XDA called GalaxySBean ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2038920 )

16. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I've always been a fan of HTC Sense, however when it comes to simplicity I rate the stock system as my relatives find it easier to use.

17. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    Running cyanogenmod 10.1 nightly on my international note, nova launcher, stock was an abomination, some of the TW stuff was nice to look at but it still had those horribly dated and ugly icons not to mention the lag was really bad.
    The only thing I miss from stock are the note programs like smemo etc, I know I can sideload them but I'm getting lazy in my old age lol

18. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My first Android was a Nexus and as a result I've always seen Sense, TW etc etc as ugly crap in the way of what I want - Android. If Dell or HP had their own **** all over Windows nobody would like that. This thread has surprised me tbh, I don't really know what these 'features' you guys are talking about, I don't miss a thing :)

19. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    Your not really missing anything, most of the "features" in Sense and Touch Wiz are 3rd party apps that have been re-skinned to fit the theme of Sense or Touch Wiz and bundled in to look like the OEM's software.

They really are just a launcher & theme sitting over the top of stock android doing nothing much apart from hog system resources.

20. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Because my stock android 4.2.1 looks amazing and runs smoother then any touchwiz or sense rom!

[​IMG]
    image upload

Rootbox v3.5 custom rom