Why do laptops always boot faster?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TwL, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    OP doesn't know the difference between turning a laptop off and putting it to sleep?

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    My laptop takes about twice as long from pushing the button to having firefox+msn open.. 5400rpm HDD vs SATA 3 SSD FTW. My PC doesn't even show the welcome screen yet my laptop shows it for ~10 seconds then takes about 15 seconds to load firefox+msn if i click them asap, my PC is virtually instant.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    actually, just reading the title of ths thread... wtf are you smoking dude?

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

He probably puts the computer into Hibernation or S3 standby mode :).

S3 (Suspend to RAM) mode is pretty nifty, the computer goes into 'standby', and completely turns off (unlike S1 mode) but keeps a little power to the memory. When you start the computer it has to reinitialise the hardware again, but everything is still loaded in RAM, so it only takes a couple of seconds. This is different to hibernation where the data is loaded off the disk.

In its early days a lot of hardware didn't play nice with it, and still there may be problems with overclocking settings not sticking etc. But in any case, I dare say the laptop is 'quicker' due to hibernation (which you can do on a desktop anyway).

In terms of an average desktop vs an average laptop, if the laptops are always faster, even to a good desktop... then you are doing something wrong! (no offence)

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Noob ops ftw.

6. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    On my laptop need wait 3 minutes after i see the desktop
    To i can click on internet icon

7. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    You must have too much opening on start up. :3eyes:

8. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    No i see the desctop but i cant do nothig
    I need wait max 3 min to hdd led stops
    Btw its lenovo b570

And so hard find hibrid hdd for laptop and pc too

9. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    That which take most time during boot in my experience on desktop systems is the actual POST time - the time to get to Post and the time to get from POST to the actual loading screen of windows. For me this take longer that the actual windows loading time till the desktop is completely loaded.
    The time it takes from my desktop pc boots when I press the power button till windows is ready an everthing loaded is approx 23 sec. However the entire POST process takes longer than than windows loading.

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Please start using an antivirus agent for once. You must be running loads of trojans, spambots and such just because you pirated every piece of software you 'own'...
    :vader: