Why do I keep losing 60-65 GB of my boot SSD's storage?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, looked at that. I have two large games installed there of 50-55 GB each, namely Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War Ultimate Edition. Total size of the folder is 128 GB, including other Windows Store apps and smaller games. The majority of the space is taken by Steam games (350 GB) and Origin/Uplay (130 GB) with the rest being the Windows and Program Files folders. Most of my user folders (Pictures/Videos/Documents etc) are located on I: so only the AppData folder is on C.

I'm sure it's that Unknown allocation of 84 GB and I bet that's Windows using that. As I said earlier it will be released at some point and I'll see 85+ GB free again. Just wish I knew what it was that was using the space. Maybe it's time to change the default install location of Microsoft Store games to one of my hard drives...?

2. Zooke

Zooke Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X SLI @ 1475
    Sounds like a good plan.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    Had a work PC that had GBs of logs in the CBS folder. It should show on WinDirstat so I doubt that it's that. Try Spacesniffer instead but probably it won't be any different.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Run elevated PowerShell and execute:
    Code:
    gci "c:\" -Recurse -File -Force | where "length" -gt 100MB

This command will search all files with length greater than 100MB on drive C: starting from root folder. Also you can use suffixes "KB", "GB" for the constant ("length" -gt 1GB). Also you can redirect output of the command to any file by appending " > c:\some_folder\some_file.txt" to the command.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Darren Hodgson and AsiJu like this.

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Same result when running WinDirStat as local admin?
    The 'Unknown' size could be due to 'Access Denied' messages for certain (system?) folders (even when ran with Admin privileges).
    You could also the terrific UWP app TreeSize Free from the MS Store.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    … and my C drive is now back to having 79 GB of free space without me having done anything!!!

Guess Windows must have been using it for something...?

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    ... and it's gone again. Down to just 20 GB now but I suspect the Store has downloaded Forza Horizon 4 onto my C drive even though I had set the install location for Store apps to my D drive *before* it downloaded the 63 GB game late last night.

The Microsoft Store really is a piece of crap IMO. I want the game installed to my hard drive not my SSD as the demo runs beautifully and without any hitching whatsoever from my other hard drive (I) and that is actually a slower drive than D.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Probably copies the files to a temp folder on C first then decrypts/whatever it does and installs to D

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    Thanks for bringing this up man, you just saved me a couple of GBs. Windows Update works in mysterious ways.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    It's linked isn't it or mirrored in some fashion no?

So you set a path for it and it creates the folders and permissions for this if it's on another drive but it would still download and then copy the files from a default location first and then via the numerous cleanup and managing tasks Windows performs daily (Usually during low upkeep / when idle.) it will periodically clean out these files.

If you take ownership of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps (And nothing else in that folder ideally.) the rest data is found under Deleted and DeletedAllUserPackages purged generally every third or so day I believe the default time is for this.
    (Old builds of Windows 10 Store, XBox Idenity app and the Store purchase helper app which is mostly hidden is what I mainly see updated.)

EDIT: And settings would be found here.
    C:\Users\Jonas\AppData\Local\Packages
    (Along with a lot of app specific data. Guessing some games would be using a lot of temporary stuff stored here too.)

(Preferably Windows should be let to manage it though since it's fairly sensitive and the app might need to be repaired or removed and reinstalled at worst if the wrong data is deleted.)

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply.

I was actually down to just 9 GB of free space this morning so I checked under Apps where the Forza Horizon 4 UE pre-order had been downloaded to and it was showing as my C drive so that accounts for the missing 64 GB as that is its reported size. I'm currently moving it to my D drive which is where I wanted to install it. Oddly, unlike other larger Windows Store games where I am asked WHERE I want to install the game this game went ahead and downloaded to my C drive anyway. True, the C drive was set as the default location for apps but even when I had the default set to H the Store would always ask me where I wanted to install the game. It should always be an option IMO.

The odd thing is that I lost that 60-65 GB of space on my C *before* the Forza Horizon 4 pre-order went live... unless it somehow pre-ordered earlier than I realised...?

Oh well, we'll see how the move goes from C to D. In my experience, Windows is prone to erroring out while relocating large games so I may have to uninstall and redownload the game although I'm reluctant to do it before the game's release in case I somehow lose the early access. The Ultimate Edition of the game unlocks at midnight on the 28th September, i.e. next Friday. If it fails to move then I might wait until it unlocks before uninstalling and redownloading. On my current connection it shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.

*EDIT*

Eurgh! Why do I hate being right...?

Sure enough, the Move failed with error code 0x80073d0b; a typically non-useful message that simply tells me to "try again later" (as if that ever works!!!). Looks like I'll have to leave it for now until the game unlocks next week and hope that my PC can manage with just 9 GB free on the C drive.

*EDIT 2*

Odd... despite the reported failure when moving the 64 GB Forza Horizon 4 pre-load from my C to D drive, I now have 76 GB free on C! Wonder if Windows has completed broken the game install... I mean if it is no longer on C, as suggested by the increased free space, and it failed to move to D then it seems to make sense that it is no longer stored on either drive or at best the copy of D is corrupted/incomplete!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Have you tried disk cleanup in system files mode? (There's a button that says "cleanup system files" or something like that.) Last time I did that it showed about 40GB of stuff that can be deleted. It can take a long time to complete though (over half an hour on an SSD, and more than an hour on a spinning disk.) It will also require a reboot after it's finished, and it doesn't actually prompt for reboot, you need to do it manually after the tool finishes, You will then get a cleanup screen during next reboot, that shows the progress of the cleanup.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Wise Disk cleaner is pretty good for cleaning.
    After an update, I normally run Windows disk cleaner, but even after that I run the portable Wise cleaner and it will find few more Gigs of files.
    I disable more than half of the stuff too.

This issue sounds more like misinformation of reported use.

15. zig11727

zig11727 Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    I use sys_minion64 with the option Cleanup & Reset Base also I use to open Admin Command Prompt and enter the command below
    powercfg -h off
    Run Disk Cleanup as ADMIN and remove all old installations of Windows Note: If done you wouldn't be able to rollback to the previous version of Windows
    Check system restore also check the paging file.
    As stated above use Wise Cleaner

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Issue now resolved so thanks for all the replies.

Actually, since relocating Forza Horion 4's pre-load to my D drive, I was able to install Windows 10 v1809 late last week and currently my C drive shows around 100 GB free! It does appear that the issue was down to the Microsoft Store using my C drive but since changing the default app location from C to D the drive space seems to be remaining consistent.