1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I keep losing 60-65 GB of my boot SSD's storage?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have noticed an annoying issue in the last few months, possibly the last six (so it could have been introduced with the Windows 10 v1803 update), and that is my hard drive space on my C drive, which is a 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD used to booth Windows, drops down from 85-90 GB to 25-30 GB. It is currently showing 25 GB free!

I have no idea what is using this space but it does eventually return after a few days. I do have games installed on this drive and a couple of them are updated but these are definitely not the reason for the loss of hard drive space (otherwise I would not get the space back). I've checked Steam and there is nothing in its Downloading folder.

I've also ran the usual array of Disk Clean-up, CCleaner and Windows' own Storage cleaner and there is nothing more than a few hundred MBs being used by various programs, certainly nothing to account for the missing 60 GB.

I've checked with WinDirStat and I cannot see anything obvious that is using this 60 GB of space, other the games that were previously installed.

Has anyone else seen or noticed this behaviour?

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Hmmm, WinDirStat has an additional Unknown option in its menu > Options and this shows 84 GB. Apparently, this is the difference between the reported space on the drive and the total of the apps etc that it has scanned. That sounds about right as that I last saw 85 GB free on Friday. Now that space is down to 25 GB.

And, yes, I've checked System Restore and it had an allocation of 9.31 GB with 0 bytes used (I created a manual checkpoint though and that uses just 247 MB).

Just don't get what is using all that space...?!?!?! :(

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    System Restore? Shadow Copy? Recovery partition for the OS install should be hidden but using only 5 GB or so and then there's hibernation and sleep but that's a separate file using part of the RAM total.

EDIT: Ah I see from the second post that it's probably not system restore then. It does sound like a backup or copy of some sort though.

4. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    windows update has the habit of hangin on to stuff, recommend running disk cleanup for windows update files, recently recovered 30gb by doing so

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah I use DISM for that and also the cleanup manager, cleanup manager will compress, DISM will remove but won't let you restore the previous update if cleaned like this.
    (Cleanup manager in advanced mode will let you delete the backups and such from the OS install from say RS3 -> RS4 and the Windows.old folder stuff easily, DISM gets the updates and such though it could probably cover both with the correct arguments.)

DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup <- Same as the Cleanup Manager and compresses.
    DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase <- DISM all the way and delete the old files or as much as possible, faster than compressing but can't revert to a prior cumulative update as that will now be the base version.

AsiJu likes this.
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I once had lost 400GB of free space across two drives. chkdsk /f fixed it for me.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Done all the usual clean-up stuff but nothing excessive is reported; just a couple of hundred MBs here and there. Certainly nothing to account for the missing 60-65 GB of hard drive space.

I do use Acronis True Image for monthly backups of my C drive but these are stored on an external USB 3.0 hard drive, besides which I haven't actually done one for the last six months (they usually take so long that I end up cancelling them).

I know the space *will* come back at some point but with the next Windows update due soon, I will obviously need that 85 GB to install it.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've checked that and there is nothing being used by Windows. I recovered around 3 GB last Friday though after the various Patch Tuesday updates.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Just ran Properties > Tools > Error checking on the C drive and it reports no errors.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970 Mini, KD55XD800
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    What's the size of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and then also C:\Windows\Logs ?

SoftwareDistribution folder should be around 300 MB or so holding the latest cumulative update and little else after running cleaning and the logs folder should be minimal but sometimes DISM.log or CBS.log just fails and balloons out in size.
    Other than that well the above for hidden files or services could be a thing, WinSxS would hold the copies and such from updates and would be a few GB if the earlier data has been cleaned out properly.
    (Otherwise it would most like be sitting under C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp held up by just about anything.)

MaCk0y likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Though the space is freed so obviously Windows is pruning it via some automated task or schedule.

...Is you page or swap file alright? Super-fetch and cache system isn't dumping the entire games worth of data in there trying to be a pain in the ass?
    (Should be limited by RAM but just something of note with how RS3+ caches data via super-fetch into RAM for speedier use such as from exiting a game and seeing superfetch running for a while filling up unused RAM memory.)

The allocation for this can be seen from the task manager for cached, used and free memory. Should always be close to full since the cache is overwritten by anything in use but it keeps as much as it can now. (Which is generally a good thing, waste of free memory otherwise not taking advantage of it.)

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    It's probably holding 5 x Windows.old folders dating back to 2013

Clean install :eek:

AsiJu and lucidus like this.
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    He needs to 0 write :p

Extraordinary likes this.

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    Do you have Samsung over provisioning enabled.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No, I don't.

WinDirStat shows Unknown as 84 GB. This is apparently the difference between the formatted free space on the SSD and the total size of all the files on the drive. This correlates to the amount of free space I had late last week before it dropped down to the current 25 GB yesterday and into this morning.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No, I'm not. I have enabled hidden files and folders, including system ones, and there are no Windows.old folders as I use disk clean-up to remove them then delete any remnants (which are usually empty folders) using Unlocker.

I did pre-order Forza Horizon 4 on Saturday after downloading and installing the demo last Thursday to one of my SATA3 hard drives I:. However, I don't believe the Store has downloaded the actual game, only the various keys that come with the Ultimate Edition. This game is said to be around 90 GB so unless part of that had been downloaded then I don't think it is that.

I guess it could be though if it has downloaded 60 GB of it as I'm not sure where the Microsoft Store actually stores pre-loaded data. Usually when I install a game from the Store it asks where I want to install it. With the demo being installed on the I: drive then I assumed any pre-loaded game content would be stored there. Maybe it's on the C drive which I believe is the default save location for apps (though I typically install them to other non-SSD drives)?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Had a look here?
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Might have to grant yourself permissions to access that folder