Why do I hear extra noise when using 2 monitors w/460 graphics card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mystiky, Nov 26, 2010.

1. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with this strange and puzzling problem that I am experiencing.

I am using a a single Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI (GeForce 460) card

http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3530&dl=1#ov

into which I have a couple of Samsung P2450H monitors connected via the DVI cables:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS24LRZKUV/ZA

My motherboard is a ASUS P6X58D Premium, my case is a HAF-X, I am not overclocking my i7-950 and my CPU cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

So here is what I am expereincing. 90% of the time when I have BOTH of the monitors turned on, I hear a very faint high-frequency noise emulating. If I have only one of the monitors turned on (doesn't matter which one), there is no noise. This "extra" noise is coming from somwhere within the case, so it could be the motherboard or the graphics card or ???. I very much doubt that it is any of the fans, as those are nearly silent and I would easily notice this by seeing "faster" RPM speed when I run Everest Sensor program. Also, I have double checked that Windows 7 display is setup for 60Hz for both of the monitors. My system is only 3 weeks old, and I doubt it's a capacitor issue (?!?)

This noise is barely audible, but I definately hear it (I am a professional musician...). The noise is very different that the one people used to get when we all had CRT monitors and were trying to run in the "wrong" resultion. That was a very clear high frequency pitch that almost everyone could hear.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    might be your GPU, I had similar noise on the 460 I had RMA twice that came from GPU any time it was under a load, and I have both my Monitor and HDTV hooked to my GPU by default and both are usual on at the same time. I didnt wanna deal with the noise so I returned that 460 and put my 9800gt back in, I would be quite upset if I find out that noise was due to both my monitor and hdtv be connected to the gpu and both being on.

Tho I dont know if the same.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  3. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

I tried the Afterburner utility, and I can tell you that the "noise" has nothing to do with the fans. Of course when I jack them up to100%, I hear a very clear "woosh" sound. But even bringing down the fans to "30%" does not make the higher-frequency sound go away.

Someone (elsewhere) mentioned that the chokle coils could be causing my issue.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i wasnt talking about the fans i was talking about the chokes on the gpu being sub par

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    I don't have the scientific reasoning to back this up, I've just experienced things like this in the past. Now, I'm not even sure this is possible with todays' higher end pc components... as most of my dealings were with car audio and the like.
    It won't hurt to take a few minutes to check -- and wouldn't it rule if it helped?
    Check to make sure that your monitor power cords/ signal cords, computer power cord, and speaker power cord/ signal line are not in direct contact. In higher end car stereo audio systems it is critical to run your power leads and grounds as far away from your speaker wires and amp leads as possible.. or you can get interference between them, sometimes creating altenator whines or high pitched whines.
    Like I say, probably not it, but give it a looksie. :)

6. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

with 2 monitors on a fermi card, the GPU is always running at the highest performance modes, this causes more heat...it may not be your GPU fan speeding up...it may be you CPU fan...as heat rises..its gonna go straight to the CPU causing it to heat up a bit and increase its fan speed...it could be your system fans speeding up aswell if it uses say the ambient temperature and it rises a bit...then ya system fans will speed up..

i no longer use 2 monitors in my 470, allowing it to clock down to its lowest performance level when idle..and use my 9400GT to drive my 2nd and 3rd monitors (9400 has only one performance level)

and like the previous post..highpitched sounds could be comming from things like your PSU, or even capacitors, but its more likely comming from the VRMs on your 460, due to the higher clocks/performance level when running 2 monitors....

the noise maybe comming from the monitors...any one of the 2 on is fine...but when both are on, the EMF could be crossing between them causing the noise somewhere...i know my CRTs will do that if i move them close enough

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  7. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

I want to thank you and all the others for your keen insight. I am 99% sure that it's not my PSU, as I have a good one: Silencer 910, which is rated Silver/80: http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_910/index.html

As far as the CPU fan, its also a good one. I am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

I am NOT overclocking any part of my computer (cpu or graphics card). So I am pretty sure that it must be the coil's on the card. I am considering getting it RMA'ed but as I said, this pitch is so quite that it is hardly noticable.

I was just curious / puzzled...