Why did AMD get rid of their Fluid Motion support as of the RX 5000 series?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by RunAwayFromTheSky, Aug 18, 2022.

1. RunAwayFromTheSky

RunAwayFromTheSky Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 3b
    AMD used to have something in their video card driver software called Fluid Motion, which would act as a frame smoothing interpolation for video files, kind of like the 'soap opera effect' where it would create new frames in video files based on the average of the adjacent two frames. Although it seems to have only ever been officially supported while using Power DVD software as the video player, there was a fan made 3rd party plugin called Bluesky Frame Rate Coverter that could get AMD Fluid Motion to work in many other popular video players like MPC-HC or PotPlayer.

However, as of the RX 5000 series of video cards that AMD released in July 2019, support for Fluid Motion has been completely removed. I find this a staggering and baffling business decision, because this one was little unique perk that AMD video cards had that Nvidia had not implemented as a competition. So it could have been a real reason for someone to buy an AMD video card over a Nvidia gpu.

My question to the community is, why did AMD really decide to remove Fluid Motion from their newer video cards? It seems like a terrible idea to throw away one of the very few unique things unique to AMD video cards, when Nvidia is such a fierce competitor.

MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It is incompatible with a fixed decoder block, it only worked on the OpenCL decoder.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Could be alot of things, the usefulness of the software is certainly lower now than it used to be, many tvs have some kind of built-in frame interpolation these days if not most of them, there is also reduced need to do it via gpu acceleration, since cpus can handle it now. Could be that they forgot about it , I doubt that many people actually used it, I've had an amd gpu in my system since 2011 and I didn't know it existed until I saw this posto_O. Could also be a licensing thing, you say that powerdvd is the only software that officially supports it, its possible that this feature was made specifically with some deal in mind, and that deal has since expired.(my money is on this)