Why cant I overclock further??

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by mostwanted, Jan 17, 2007.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7600GT/6600GT XFX AGP
    Well I have an asus p5n32 e sli 680i wid a e6400...Now i raised the fsb to 1330..So the ram is running at 800Mhz and the cpu speed is 2.660Ghz...But i cant overclock any further coz if i raise the fsb any further i get an error after windows starts up from asus saying the bios has reported an invalid cpu setting....So i was wondering wat is holding me back??

I havent changed the timings of my ram,and i haven fiddled with any voltage functions everything is on auto..I have corsair ram which you can see in the picture:

[​IMG]
    My cpu goes upto 61C on full load and idles at around 45..Im using the stock intel heatsink...
    So can any1 temme wats the problem??any advice is appreciated...

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I have this board also, with a 6600.

I beleive this may be the problem right off the bat.. first of all, are the memory and fsb in "unlinked" mode?? If not you need to change that first before anything else. Second, make sure that all of the spread spectrums are set to disabled. Once you've made sure that all other settings like execution bit blah blah is disabled, and also virtualization tech to disabled, you can start raising up your FSB. Don't bother with the ram right away, start with the FSB.
    If you're getting an error at a certain point in windows, I''m willing to bet that your hardware isn't getting enough juice. You need to set your voltages accordingly, and mess with them to get any results. Leaving them on auto is not gonna let you get any stable oc, not with this board anyway.

What bios are you running? I moved back from the 0602 bios to 0501. There is some real weird power channeling going on with these boards, and trying to find a stable bios and overclock is indeed a challenge.

3. mostwanted

mostwanted Member Guru

GPU:
    dam man scoobydoo ur rite...I ju updated to the new bios 602 and my temps went up by 6C coz the bios automatically adjusts the core voltage.....can i ask u a favour?Can u post the link to the bios ur using ill try it out....Hopefully the next bios should be a lot better.....

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    well just to let you know, as soon as you go past 1200mhz on the FSB with this board, it will somehow try to compensate, and overvolt your CPU. With the 0602 bios, I would go from 1200fsb @ 1.23v to 1201fsb @ 1.4v. After 1200 anywhere I went above my vcore was locked at 1.4.. nutty!

So anyway, I downloaded the 0501 bios (right from asus' website) and flashed to it. Keep in mind, Asus Update won't let you flash backwards becuase it's a pos, so you may have to flash to 0101 from the install disc through ezflash in Bios FIRST, and then to 0501. So far, 0501 has been a tad better.. as soon as I oc past 1200fsb, it locks my vcore at 1.37.. better than 1.4 I guess. only real thing is though, that other programs read my vcore as different from what the bios says.. I beleive it just may be a bios readout issue, where its not giving an exact readout.

5. mostwanted

mostwanted Member Guru

GPU:
    Well ok i flashed back to the original bios...
    now i have 2 questions...
    1.whats wrong wid the orginal bios?I mean y update to 502 at all??

2.second pls pls give the exact link to the file so that i can download it....thanx