Why buy games any more?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by deusex, Jul 1, 2012.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah .. but steam is the only tolerable form of DRM .. don't know about origin, everything is priced in Euros so I won't be buying anything online from there.

Absolutely hate securom, activations, machine limits, tages and whatever I've missed. Only legit folks suffer them.

Won't be long before publishers expect us to use USB drives to decrypt the games.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Piracy has been around since i can remember,say way back in 1983 with Matthew Smith's Seminal Jet Set Willy which was one of the first ever games if not the first to have copy protection,it had a colour carded inlay and you had to match the colours to the ones on the screen and type in the number underneath printed on the card.

I still have this game in my attic somewhere and its sequel along with many many more from various generations of hardware.

Ive seen Picture wheels,Advanced copy data protection,dongles,manual reference sentences,etc etc etc over the last 30 years+....they can and have all been cracked or exploited in some way to allow the user to play
    for free,but like i have said before one method that works is Online activation/streaming from a server in realtime,ive yet to see this cracked and i can see it being the future of all of the best games,the only downside is that people dont like this kind of activation and it can seriously damage sales no matter how good the game/product is.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 3080
    I remember that! Awesome game btw. Another reason not to play modern games? :)

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    such is life mate, look at all the unemployed people who live off benefits and us hard working idiots pay for their livelihood, it's just how it works and tbf, if you were about to release a AAA game title that was to sell millions of copies, you would make sure it has some sort of DRM, even if it means you end up alienating a lot of your customers. Because the rest of them will understand and be grateful for a great game.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I always go retro mate,its what i was born and bred with,not so much JSW but i do play old games and get just as much enjoyment as i did back then,especially MAME(I have a home made Cabinet) and some 16 bit computer titles.

I do play modern games but only ones that i see as Killer/AAA titles,anything else gets left to join the collection of Abandonware.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes, I agree. It's the only way I can see games not being cracked and pirated. downside is exactly what you said. but then again, I remember when HL2 came out, it needed online connection to install (needed steam) the game which pissed me off no end. now we're some 10 years down the road, I have learned to live with it. I would love to see devs making money from sales and therefore make them more enthusiastic about making good games. Everyone would win. Also, let's not forget, internet is constantly improving, server issues would minimize if companies learned how to deal with the loads etc. Atm it's the only viable option imho.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why? Steam was the first service that required internet connection to install their games. also, they collect data. I fail to see how it's the only tolerable form of DRM?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I haven't forgotten the steaming pile of four asterisks complaints when steam was launched with HL2 and I still am wary of the idea of having all my games tied to a single provider. I find it tolerable because it has an offline mode, activation is invisible to the user (if steam works), doesn't bother legit users to create multiple accounts in addition to the steam id (gfwl, rockstar) steam cloud, data collection can be disabled but I don't have a problem with them knowing what hardware I run because that data when aggregated is immensely useful to the publishers. Don't feel like typing more now, am on my tab :p

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    that is the kind of thing that's just up to the individual. Some may find it tolerable and others not.
    To some, just having a CD disk check is intolerable. I don't even use optical drives anymore so Steam seems perfectly tolerable. as far as data collection, what doesn't collect data? I can't even get a tire changed without them asking for personal data from me.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX3070
    ill install any DRM besides starforce because that caused windows problems for me. daemon tools not working anymore, and some other errors

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Starforce was is pain in the a**, I remember trying to get the retail version of Splinter Cell 3 to install but according to the net the issue was to do with starforce and Im sure I've read few posts on it screwing with some dvd/cd drives to.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    what i hate is 3rd party DRM's through steam. Like i bought Driver: SF on steam, but it forces me to sign up and log into Uplay. Ubisoft's version of Steam.
    Naturally, my Steam's username was taken in Uplay, so now i have to Login to Steam with one username, then login to Uplay with a completely different one just to play a Steam game.

Then i have a different username for Origin too...aaahhhh, too many usernames and logins just to play some farkin games. I already long forgot my Origin username and pass, so hopefully i won't want to play BF3 ever again.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol .. No uplay id here :p won't be making one ever. The only reason I have an origin id is the iOS versions of their games :p

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    lol. saying never. watch ubisoft releasing 10 amazing games in the next 4 years and then the mobile versions requiring Uplay.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nea, they don't have anything other than Assassin's creed which interests me and their mobile games aren't worth it for me.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well, you never know, they might release a killer game or 2 in the next few years. and you already said that you only have origin because it's required to play mobile versions of games. Anyway. this thread is not going anywhere. we've had threads like this before and they all end up the same way. We'll have a new one in a few weeks time, I'm sure.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Origin is not required for their ios games. I created an id because I got some bonuses in dead space :p I haven't signed in since.

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Yuk yuk, this guys a proper comedian. No really that is the funniest comment so far....

...seriously I too am lucky enough not to have a UPlay account. The last I heard was that Ubi were so scared of piracy that they had no intention of releasing any new IPs on the PC at least not until the next gen console come along, so that leaves... well exactly NO games that Ubisoft have that I want to play.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think Ubisoft have any new IP's do they, everything out soon is a sequel.

I don't mind Ubisoft now, they seem more open to learning and adapting, and have been on the only company to release a completely DRM free retail game in years.

Steam i won't be going near until they fix their offline mode, though the fact their support told me it was a feature not a fault makes me think it won't be fixed means i'm bombed out of any future Steamworks games :(

EA seem to be intent on copying Steam and i'm sure its getting worse with every new update, they are also not hiding the fact it's a marketing tool, and while we all know that they should exercise some subtlety.

I do agree it has all gotten out of hand, but it's not going away and will be on all platforms soon.
    I miss when having all your games in one place meant creating a folder on your desktop and filling it with shortcuts.

20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    Any thought on a free-to-play future for PC game. I thought I saw a couple of articles with game companies talking about a free future for PC game.
    I think the game would be free to give the player a taste then if player liked the game he would need the buy additional content.