Why buy games any more?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by deusex, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Click one is the selection of your thief if they aren't already, click two is the disarm traps hot key (F5), click three is on the trap; you're done. If your scouting with your thief as you would be in a trapped area, they are likely already selected, and therefore it's two clicks. So please stuff your falsities.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    But not gameplay, which is what matters most.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I never said gameplay isn't important. but again, to me, I just can't play BG2 any more. there's too many things that annoy me. like the horrid ui. it takes forever to do anything in that game. Again, comparing anything to BG2, well, BG2 being such a iconic game, it's hard. but most games do most things better than BG2 does.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... what if you're not scouting?

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I named more than one, Perma Death / Difficulty and leveling being more advanced. They are hard facts, although they still come down to personal preference I must admit. As for DA: O having more mods? I cannot refute that, but considering the number available for BG2 I find it somewhat difficult to believe. I can't say the music blew me away in DA: O either, and the combat bored me to tears.

As for your comments on the Bethsada games, interesting as I find pretty much all of their games of the past few years to be over-hyped. They release ugly, unfinished products that don't become playable until mods are released by the community. I only came to enjoy Oblivion with a plethora of user mods years after its release. I briefly played Skyrim and was far from impressed for much the same reasons.

The most important factors boil down to gameplay and story, for not only myself but many others. BG2 offers me better gameplay than DA: O, that is a cold, hard fact. It isn't nostalgia, if nostalgia played a part I would be incapable of playing the games. I used to think the first Predator movie had amazing acting due to nostalgia, upon watching it again I slapped myself for having thought it. I know whether nostalgia plays a part better than you, or anyone else when it comes to my enjoyment of games or any other media.

As for the Blizzard fan comment, you seem to absolutely adore D3 - more so than most people I know that's for sure. On these forums or on others, and certainly compared to those I game with. It isn't much of an assumption to say you're a fan of Blizzard. Note, I said "fan" not "fanboy" - there's a difference.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I agree on Oblivion, that was a pile of rubbish that I spent more time modding and tweaking than playing until I gave up. Morrowind was great, Skyrim I thought was good as well.

About defending D3, yes I like it. It's not my favorite game ever or anything like that. but it's fun and I just hate to see a lot of people jumping on the hate train. They diss the game for no real reason (you know, one minute it's too easy, then it's too hard etc). I myself would change quite a few things about D3, and I've pointed out which things. I would do something about the loot in the first place, Torchlight was dull, but leveling was fun because I was getting a new piece all the time. It's hard to balance this just right, but things have to change in D3 (although had a legendary and a set weapon drop today so maybe they fixed loot tables lol).

I just don't like PC gaming being bashed. This platform still offers best gaming ever. I just wish us PC gamers took games for what they are a little bit more. Let's not compare everything to the past, let's go with the flow a little bit more.

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd be more willing to go with the flow if so many games weren't poorly optimised or took no real chances. If an actual effort was made. In the past year or two I've bought a lot of games, there's so few I don't regret buying it's depressing. I'd say I've bought 20 games give or take in the past year or two for the PC that were pretty much new. I've bought some older games in sales, but I hardly count them as 'new' really.

Payday: The Heist
    The Witcher 2
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Gemini Rue
    DoW 2: Retribution

The purchases I've not regretted are listed above. This includes AAA titles like Skyrim etc. It's not that I'm not giving newer games a chance, it's more that I find more often than not I've flushed my money and supported a product I would rather not have. D3 was gifted to me, but even then I can't justify putting it in the above list. I want to like the game, but the technical issues (rubber-banding) and loot, coupled with the gear-farms being a near requirement just don't sit well with me. I'd be more willing to give it a proper chance if not for the lag and rubber banding, if I'm honest. I'd not mind farming a little, would likely make a Hardcore character even. It's a shame.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    As I said, 3 clicks. The game also has AI profiles so you can set your thief to always search for traps when they aren't being given a conflicting order. So after an attack, or picking a lock, they will go back to searching for traps automatically.

9. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Wrong, as usual.

People pay $50-$60 for a PC game. Why the f'k shouldn't they expect it to work?!?! Your answer is to quit whining, and go buy a console? If a company sells a product, then it damn sure better work...regardless of the platform.

Consoles do SUCK compared to PC's...in my opinion. Graphics quality isn't as good in general, sometimes not even close. And controls....nothing on a console compares to mouse/keyboard, especially for shooters. Again, in my opinion.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dunno eclap i only recently about 6 weeks ago went through Dungeon Master(return to chaos)
    http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/
    and completed it with my original team that i used in 1987 on the ST(Halk,Hisssa,Gothmog,Mophus)i actually commented at the time in the Legend of Grimlock thread that it was a good game but not as good as Dungeon Master and i uninstalled it and went on to finish Dungeon Master,thats not to say that i wont play grimlock because when i feel like the time is right then ill go play it as its very good.

The reason why i went through Dungeon master was because its sequel Chaos strikes back i never played and i wanted to import my party from DM once finished to CSB,although it was a nostalgic trip i enjoyed every minute of its engrossing gameplay and it took me a while to complete it by evoking the Lord chaos in a fluxcage and igniting it.

Like i said some games offer more than Nostalgia but i agree some of them are just for Nostalgic purposes but alot of them are not depending on your personal opinion,the ones based on nostalgia i play for 5 mins and realise how much they have aged but for other old games its quite the opposite.

I will always choose skyrim but some games of yesteryear do things differently which i do still enjoy today.

As you can see from my Avatar me and the wife went away last year down south and on one of the piers at the seaside i found an old Arcade classic machine amongst all the latest and greatest tech...a very very rare site today...this machine has like 30 of the best games from the 1980s like bombjack,shao lins road,green beret,1942,1942,gaplus,galaga,galaxian,pacman,invaders,Ghost and Goblins etc

I was on the machine for about 90mins and my wife literally told me if you dont come away from it now im going so i had to leave my game in mid flow,old Coin-op games are timeless classics and have lost none of there appeal whatsoever in my opinion and are 1000 times better than anything the Arcades have to offer today,many people agree that the Arcades with all the lastest and greatest tech are dead and have been for quite sometime,an Golden era long gone by where the latest and greatest technology couldnt save its userbase from becoming literally extinct,in the old days these places breathed the latest tech and were jam packed with people,you literally had to get inline to play certain games,agreat meeting place also for many,a hangout....the technology today couldnt save it so its not all about the latest game with the best graphics and here is the perfect example,i reckon Arcades are like this all over the world apart from Japan and third world countries.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    do you wanna play a "GAME"?

[​IMG]

to buy or not to buy..

to pirate or not to pirate..

it's YOUR CHOICE!

12. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^ Common Year, you should know by now that we only have the illusion of choice :funny:. :)

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Agree mostly with poster I never even think anymore to buy a game I just download torrent pirate it. As long as game company wishes to get this information and install unwanted files on my computer they will never see even a penny from me. Sadly the pirated torrent versions are better and they are punishing the legitimate buyers. Anyways I don't give a dam what they do anymore either I still play alot of old amiga games with winuae lol. Oh btw I actually payed real usd money for oblivion and it had no copy protection...should tell you something about me.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Its sad that you actually feel this way. I don't hate on consoles and I have every right to be pissed off by the lack of effort of games companies these days to accomodate the people that ultimately pay for and play their games. If game companies intend to sell a game whether online or in a retail outlet for consoles and for PC, then they should ensure that the game plays well enough out of the box, and if they DO need to use some form of DRM, it should not prevent the player or largely get in the way of playing a game that they paid for.

All that pc users get these days if this type of intrusive DRM in many games that requires you to create an account and "login" or in some cases stay online at all times to verify validity.. Fine if it works, but overall it seems not to be working and just causes more frustration.

To say to just buy a console, you and I both know, is a ridiculous comment. Why would I buy a console when a PC can play a game better, with higher resolution, framerate and quality and I can use a mouse / keyboard? Especially for shooters? I don't know why you'd even bother saying something so moronic.

Bottom line is that customers have an absolute right to be disgusted with the way the gaming industry has shunned PC gamers and made it so difficult to enjoy their own product... these same gamers that made some of the largest game series into what they are today (think Call of Duty, Epic and their games up until GOW for example).
    Straight up, if a company doesn't feel like putting in the time to create a game that is thoroughly tested and verified to work and work well, then they shouldn't be packing it up and selling it prior to it being completed for FULL PRICE only to have their customer support forums fill up for the next 4 months while everyone is clamoring for a patch or some form of restitution for having bought a bogus incomplete game for their gaming platform. Never mind the fact that some games are so poorly made these days and are overall just sequels and spin offs of older games.. like the movie industry and ea, its just rehash after rehash and still, we're expected to pay full value for it..

And you after all that feel that people shouldn't complain? Get a clue..

15. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I haven't played BF3 since Nov. because of EA's Origin. Who the hell do EA think they are, pretending to have the right to scan my information?

What if Toyota put a clause in their contracts saying they had the right to search your house, just because a car they built and you bought, is sitting in your garage?

(I'm tired of Big Brother)

16. BASGTA

BASGTA Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus DirectCU II 7970 3GB
    Why buy games? Only reason would be for online!

17. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    What do they scan exactly? I think people need to stop being so emotional about it all.

I play BF3 and have a blast! your missing out dude :)

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's not like w7 isn't reporting back to ms, is it? People should just grow up about it, really.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    True, i don't enjoy single player anymore like i used to... :(

20. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    I play only single player games :)

I pay because they need the money to make new games obviously. But I agree that they are making playing more difficult, stupid DRMs and Ubisoft uplay etc crap.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012