why ATI cards got less crispy images than Nvidia ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ehsancgfx, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Drazio

Drazio Banned

GPU:
    FVCKING
    I've had the opposite effect, out of the box my ATi cards looks sharp and vivid while the nvidia cards had to be calibrated as they looked washed out..

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I recently went from a 4870x2 to a GTX480 and the only difference I can see is the contrast. Without me messing with ANY settings at all, the blacks that an Nvidia card produce just seem darker to me. Making the brighter colours look... well, brighter. But not by much at all.

I will admit though, forcing 8xAA, 16XAF, Gamma correction in Borderlands makes that game look ten times better than it ever did on my old ATI card.

ATI are infamous for releasing driver updates that simply break IQ in turn for more frames. Nvidia have done this too, but I hear more about it on the ATI side.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Your joking, right?
    Image quality is pretty much the same between products from both companies after some tweaking.
    Nvidia cards need some adjustments too, to be better than out of the box.
    As for what you call advanced users, f them, give people the option to switch from low to super image quality on the fly.
    Everything else is just crap.

4. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    same here, but like speakers your IQ is only as good as the monitor, and default monitor settings may not be right at all.

monitor quality is extremely unbalanced, the worst one ive ever owned hands down was a samsung, it died after 8 months, it was such a pos i didn't want it replaced, instead I bought a new one from a brand name I've never heard of (CTL), it blows every monitor I've ever seen out of the water.

5. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Its really what you play I think. I have 3 systems and when I test 470 vs 5870 5870 wins hands down. Now this is with no AA what so ever. Like I said I think its the games you play. Like my son plays wow and man you can really see the diff between the two. Fallout.. its like with Ati where did the jag lines go to. Yet I have in mine the NV..love 3D.

Everyone is different, systems are different so. Yet I think the NV 400's are worse then before. Yet this is what I do so I look for this stuff. I like both NV an ATI so I could careless.

6. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    using 5870 for a while, and 4850 before it and previous generations i used
    only NV cards since the first geforce till 6800 Ultra, i can tell you one
    thing for sure : no difference at all in image quality.

my older brother uses 470 a room next to me and the image is 99.9 %
    the same with nothing you can say - "one is better or sharper".

i do agree that maybe in the drivers issue, AMD users are complaining more
    about problems but image quality ? no way in hell, all the same cra*...

could be drivers issue \ game issue or w\e but nothing else.

7. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html

Press F11 and use the auto tune function on your monitor it will crisp things up nicely otherwise your not doing your settings right in ccc there is no difference in image quality IMO.

8. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    wow that's pretty cool, and it also confirms that CTL monitors are good sh!t lol.
    no adjustments needed at all here.

9. Daaknite

Daaknite Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2gb
    Im willing to concede that I may have been doing something wrong when I had my ATI setup. Unfortunately, I do not have them anymore so I cannot test.

Although im pretty sure I tweaked the overscan settings in ccc, I will keep this in mind when next I get my hands on a system using an ATI card.