1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are gaming mice main buttons so cheaply made?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by antiseptic, Aug 12, 2018.

1. antiseptic

antiseptic Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 750
    Has anyone noticed this? It doesn't matter what manufacturer, but I've never once owned a gaming mouse where the left button didn't start to double click because the button mechanism is so cheap. However, I can't think of any non-gaming mice I've owned that have had this issue. In fact, a ball mouse I have from a 2003 era Celeron still works fine. I'm wondering if the mouse from my Mom's old 1984 Macintosh still works? It probably does. But you can easily spend >150$ on a "gaming" mouse that's supposed to be durable, that falls apart within a year.

Well, OK... the Razor Diamondback from 2004ish has been the single gaming mouse that still operates as intended, even if it is too dirty from years of neglect.

This post was inspired by this cheap 8$ Logitech I got at Target, because I'm at my Mom's house and I'm sick of using the trackpad on my laptop. But my 100$ Logitech gaming mouse is barely a year old and has issue. But I can tell that the buttons in this mouse are of higher quality. It makes literally no sense. Well, unless they're just slapping "gaming" on the box and giving us cheap crap because they know we'll buy it over and over again.

2. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I never had one double click without me double clicking. I still have the G9, works fine. I use a cheap BT mouse for my laptop for the last 3 or 4 years, works fine.

3. antiseptic

antiseptic Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 750
    I had the Copperhead, some generic one, the naga, and now a G600. All went to crap. I've seen numerous videos on youtube, so the problem can't just be me.

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    For me it has always been the scroll wheel mostly Logitech and the middle click on this present one Corsair M65. To be fair this was always after a couple of years.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Have you tried gaming with "non-gaming" mouses? The amount of clicking abuse and the force mouse going during gaming and browsing is pretty different.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Only mouse button that really gave up on me was on a Razer gaming mouse. Less that two years. Never bought Razer again and since then, I'm doing well.

Noisiv and cryohellinc like this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I once had in my college years Razer mouse, I think it was Mamba. In line with everything else from Razer that I owned in the past, it broke after around 7 months with a double mouse click.

Now for 3rd year I have SteelSeries Rival ( I think) was the cheapest option they had with all the features I needed, works like a charm.

In reality thou there are several factors which affect this - type of switch mouses uses, especially contact plate. If they cheap in on the material it's made from you get a double click. Secondly, the way you hold the mouse and click the button. For example, the way I hold it, my finger is around the middle of a mouse button, while some people hold it with their finger on the top of a mouse button (this style usually prolonged the life-span of a switch).

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    My non-gaming mouses (very old logitech mouseman, then a bunch of microsoft mice) always developed this issue after a couple years of use.

My first gaming mouse (a G400) also started doing this after about 3 years. I'm now on a G502 that I've had for 4 years, and it's still fine for now.

9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    In the past some or razer's mouse quality was in doubt, they are becoming better these last generations. The lancehead i use now and the taipan i used before have great quality buttons. (And yes i mostly use razor, that is because i am a left handed gamer and the ambidextrous razor mouses are some of the few that works for me with button layouts.)

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I had an early generation Razer Naga Hex when it first got released, not gonna lie it was pretty good.

Very solid sensor too, I did find out that they used lesser sensor's in the newer ones. I think it died after 4 years, sensor finally died on me.

Razer definitely isn't quality anymore, Steelseries and Logitech seem to be the most solid choices in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Organik and Noisiv like this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    2.5 years and my Steelseries Rival 300 started to double click with one of the thumb buttons. I tolerated the broken switch for half a year before buying some microswitches from ebay. Too bad the switches are far too light, I didn't really know what to buy, but it's still far better than double clicking. So, no, I can't really say Steelseries and their poor home brew switches would be of too high quality. My previous mouse, Logitech Mx518, never showed such signs and I only needed to let go of it because it started to look too worn out.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Identical experience here!

I'm not running around badmouthing them, but will I buy again? NOPE

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Did I write that they were of a pristine quality? At least much better than Razer at least in my case. That trash broke too fast.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I reckon all gaming mouse manufacturers use weak switches on purpose so that people are forced to buy a new mouse soon enough and not stick to their electric rodent for a decade. Who knows, maybe mechanical keyboards will soon follow the same trend because instead of the good old Cherry, they are nowadays increasingly using never-heard-of switches instead.

15. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    My MX518 from 2009 still working :)

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have never had mouse main button or right button for that mater fail are start double clicking till some 5+ years after I got it
    my MX1100 worked for almost 10 years before the left button started double clicking