Why and What antivirus do YOU use.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Agent-A01, Sep 23, 2011.

?

Which AV software do you use?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. Malwarebytes

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. AVG

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Avast

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Norton

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Microsoft Security essentials

26 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Other. please state

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    i wonder where most people get viruses from, perhaps torrents?

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Not long ago (about two weeks) I got one from Android site, was checking how to do some stuff for some school project. Mobile project on Android with Eclipse, horrible combination, then got that virus, did not download anytihng, prolly came from one ad.

Anyways, got warning about blocked virus, stayed on site to read that code and see if it helps, another warning, ignored and started to type something to eclipse. Bam, programs close and so on. Yah, kinda my fault for being careless, anyways, booted to safe mode and Security Essentials took care of it. Only thing I lost was some work with that code, nothing too bad, should have saved more often.

Cant remember having any other virus before that...

3. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I don't use a full time resident virus scanner and haven't for the past 3 or so years.
    I do use utilities to keep an eye on things, but once again I never have anything running in the background that monitors or checks for malware or virus.

Just about every virus scanner on the market is more malicious then any virus I've ever seen.
    In my eyes the difference between a virus scanner and a virus is one is socially accepted. Yet both do the same things.
    Alter files, slow down performance, chatter on networks, hinder a user and waste time and resources. For what?, to save time and resources yeah right.

People that rely on a virus scanner to make up for their lack of understanding, laziness or stupidity at their belief of mental peace that "I haven't had a virus in xxxx days/months/years" at the expense of cost and time I almost feel sorry for.
    The cost and time can be spent on better use of their hardware and software use, which is what a pc is spose to be used for in the first place.
    Buying into the whole use X product and you'll be safe and not have to learn how to actually understand the tool (PC) your using and understand the actions your doing is BS.

Yet people using these virus scanners spout how they don't have to worry and it looks after itself and they never or barely get infected while usiung X product, while in the next breath whine about how their top end expensive hardware is performing like crap and "it take a while to start up, open such and such and I need to let the update reboot my pc"... phht.

I do agree that no one should leave themselves unprotected in this day and age, but relying on and paying software companies to compensate for your lack logic or troubled learning curve is really not the answer to being protected.
    Especially since most these software companies use the same tactics as a virus to get the job done.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    wow, I've been running Norton for the last 3-4 years.....have yet to experience any noticeable "slowdown" from using it....and I'm far from using a high-end system....

5. LifeInferno

LifeInferno Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Quad CF
    Actually i dont use anyone, nothing happens to my system setups for years...but i use it so wisely i know what i do and what i use.