Why am i lagging?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by zee3b, Jul 15, 2007.

1. zee3b

zee3b Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Hey guys!
    i own a Dell E510 with Ati X1950 pci e card and 1.5 gig ram, processor is 2.8 HT GHZ and still i would lag in F.E.A.R
    Why is that? i have a 500 watt psu...
    is it my graphic card? or is it my pc?
    my pc isnt that bad... it shouldnt lag at all... specially with a high end graphic card.. i think f.e.a.r should run fine... but.. eh.... i need help.....

2. methgamin

methgamin New Member

it could be a few things check these

1. any thing running in the background I.E. anti virus, messengers, updates , ect

2. are all your drivers updated?

3. are you playing multi player? is so could be server problems or location.

4. game settings you have a low to mid end system if your settings are any higher than med your gonna lag. make sure you have your AA off

im willing to bet it will be one of those issues good luck

3. Exceededgoku

Exceededgoku Member

GPU:
    R9 295X2 x 2 in Quadfire
    Processor is causing a bottleneck, turn settings down some. Or failing that try turning the settings up so that the bottleneck is your GPU.

4. zee3b

zee3b Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    hey!
    thanks for the replies...
    Well i formatted my hard drive to see if it was a virus or soemthing.. causing the lag......didnt work out..
    I play multiplayer and due to my high speed optic fibre get a pretty good ping.,.. its just not on one server... and yea the game use to run fine.... with no lags.....
    Yes i play on low settings....when i turned the settings a little bit high it was a little better........... but there must be a way to kill the lag...
    for some reason i've convinced my self to buy a new mobo and processor but i just dont want to give,.. up why waste money.. when this pc would run it fine...:( it does for others..

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Wait a sec, 2.8ghz HT CPU? So, this is a Northwood or Prescott P4, I understand these CPU are pretty bandwidth dependent....if this is so, how do you have your RAM configured? 3x 512mb? If so, then you're not taking advantage of Dual Channel which the CPU needs to do a better job, I believe these Netburst architecture CPUs rely a lot on bandwidth. Try removing one of the 512mb RAM and ensure that remaining 2 are in Dual Channel mode (check your mobo for instruction). Usually, there should be 4 dimm slots, place them in the dimm slots that the same color.

6. zee3b

zee3b Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Hey..
    I have one 1 gig and two 256 gigs.... and yea the 256 are in dual....they are at a slow speed though... 3200 and the 1 gig is 4200 .... my computer doesnt run slow at all.......
    And most importantly i forgot to ask the most improtant question.... can it be my graphic card... is it dying on me...? whats the best way to make sure... its working properly?
    F.E.A.R is the only gsame i have.

7. ohno

ohno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI/AMD X1650pro AGP Gdd3
    hey sometimes if the card overheats, u might lose performance or get problems. Remove the card from the slot, and try cleaning the fans...wortha a try.

8. zee3b

zee3b Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Yea thats the first thing i did... i even opened my case.... but.. it wasnt really hot in there... even if i leave my pc off the whole night and play it would still lag....my play is stutteryy....
    How can i find out.. if my card isnt working properly?

9. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Dual mode for memory will only work if 2 slots are occupied with the same ram sticks.Using mixed ones will make you loose dual mode.Further more,using 1GB with 2x256MB sticks could force your mainboard to run at 333Mhz speed for the memory,instead of the 400Mhz which pc3200 should run at.
    Well,it's a bit different for intel boards,but you get the picture.
    The fact you have pc4200 will only benefit that particular stick for overclocking purposes,which you can't because of the limits the other pc3200 will invoke.The slowest timings will be used that are available.
    As for your cpu,it will struggle much with games like fear.Turning down all shadows might help a bit.
    But fear requires a powerfull cpu to run smooth.

If your card isn't working properly,you will notice coloured or plain white dots in screen when playing,blue screen of death and crashing to the desktop and/or black screen with nothing else happening anymore.
    Well,overheating can cause slowdowns also,but if you eliminated that option it's not your card.
    Try atitraytools to monitor temps while playing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  10. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    FEAR is a very demanding game, especially if you have shadows turned on.
    When I had a 7900gs in my system, my fps doubled when I switched off shadows.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Hmm, seems quite odd... Could it be due to the amount of memory you have?

Look at my specs to the side, I can play F.E.A.R. on the highest settings including soft shadows and AA up at 6x.

So I have no idea what the problem could be.

12. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    1.5gb is probably not quite enough for fear. If while running fear your system needs to use swap space, then this would cause it to lag bad.

Also, your cpu is getting dated. Fear is demanding and requires a highend/up-to-date cpu and video card and plenty of ram to run smoothly.