WHT!?! GTX295 issue.. WOW

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LiquidKhaos, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i agree, my card makes a right whine when in 3d mode. but ican only hear it when theres no sound.

@LiquidKhaos sorry to hear about your card dying dude that realy sucks.

2. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    My videocard makes the same kinda whining noise sometimes when I'm browsing the internet but, when i go back to desktop it stops whining. I think mine's got issues with the fan.

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The whine is normal, put VSync on if it bugs you. It's just the capacitor's making noise, many cards do it including mine. There is nothing faulty going on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You guys didn't read the entire post. The card won't even output a picture to the screen The whine is only the first thing to happen.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    sounds like it was just a faulty card, it happens, like all hardware :p

Though this whine being a normal occurrence in many cards is really starting to worry me of upgrading to anything, they should really get these things fixed, i don't care if it's bad for the card or not, any hardware that makes a whine for any reason should be considered a defect, why would people want their computer making more noise then it already is?

I mean, i have headphones, so i probably wouldn't notice it, but my gf would, my room mate might, i hope when i get a card that i get no whining....cause that's just not tasteful

6. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Its Amazing how people are surprised and upset cause they got a bad card.I used to deliver refridgerators and appliances years back and I would have atleast 4 or 5 not run per week after carrying it up 3 flights of stairs.lol

If you think every card they ship out is going to be perfect,your living in a dreamworld.:)

7. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    you should deal with Amps and cross overs, i cant tell you how many amps and speakers get fried in that line of work, id say 25% of the amps and speakers we sell are defective, and about 10% DOA. Most people who buy car stereo equipment are complete *******s too.

8. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    well, when u pay lots of hard earned money for it, u have every right to expect it to work perfectly

9. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Its impossible to make every card run perfect.Just have to deal with it.:)

On a sidenote,I have never gotten a bad card.But im just one of the lucky ones.But I have got alot of bad hardrives.:)

10. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    I'm not pissed it blew up.. I'm pissed that the fool didn't blow up overclocking. At least that'd be a logical reason. I wouldn't be half surprised if batches were bad. They kinda sprung this 295 on us shortly after the 260 55nm.

I work in Technology. I see bad equipment on a daily basis. I just ordered 180 new MacPro's for my campus and 37 of them were bad. LOL. Chit Happens.

So no I'm not upset it blew, it's just upsetting that it couldn't go out in style. Like me pushing it hard to make it the world dominator LMAO.

11. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    call them, im sure the fact youve boughten three video cards over the last two weeks is enough to make them hurry lol.

12. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This doesn't work, because the card connects through a singular PCI-E slot and is seen as one piece of hardware by the driver. You can only OC the whole set.

Also, if you could do it, you'd get overstated clock speeds as the ccooler would of course cool down only one card at a time in your scenario, hence providing far better OC overhead.

Priceless!! :nerd:

13. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    OK! WTFover!

Now my g.d. GTX260 is doing it. And it's only in ATITool. Which is what I was in when the 295 took a crap (was doing a 1 hour heat test on the card.) Has anyone had problems with ATITool? All my games are running fines, no noise, but soon as you fire up ATITool and hit Scan for Artifacts or Show 3D Window, it starts that electrical whine (much less on the 260 probably because it's only a single GPU.)

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    my 2900XT (oh yeah badboy cards) made horrible electical scream in ati tool

never know could be a funky capacitor

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol wow, well that's mac for ya, or hardware in general :)

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    man you have do have some bad luck dude.

17. mattrxcool

mattrxcool Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 @ 650/1400/2100
    This was already covered in another topic, most cards make some kind of electrical whine when they're being stressed.

My gtx260 does it, and has done since the day i got it, every time im on a loading or menu screen of a game with vsync off because the fps go so high.

I've never known it to cause any problems. Just unlucky that your 295 died, but it might be completely unrelated to the whining sound.

18. EddieG

EddieG Master Guru

GPU:
    A few
    That is an old problem. Yes, the capacitors hit an hi frequency movement internally and create an audiable whine. On some hardcore hardware forums there are answers or work arounds

19. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    some people are more sensitive to the high pitched frequency than others.
    if you tend to notice the pitch from your TV(not sure if newer ones have the same issue, or if it is better) then you will probably hear it from your GPU also.(since these new higher end cards require so much power, they dont put high enough quality resistors into them).

i have read several posts of people with this issue, it seems to happen when it gets to a very high frame rate, thus power is flooding into the GPU so i can run at maximum speed.

this is one of the reasons i am hesitant to upgrade, since i am very sensitive to this.
    even when im sitting in a perfectly silent room, i always hear a slight high pitched "eee" noise.

if you run vsync, it lowers your frame rate. thus it will require less power to be thrown at the GPU.

please, correct me if i am wrong on anything.

20. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    So far y'all are doing great.. Lets throw THIS into the mix now..

My f'n PSU just went as well. Now it's dead. Tried it on 3 other motherboards, none will power up. So I'm back to the dino-box C2D E6600 with 7900GT KO. I never realized HOW beautiful the color was with the GTX series on a 24" Monitor. This 7900GT looks like crap LMAO.

RMA's are processed. Going back to Newegg tomorrow. It's easier then dealing with the manufacturer right now considering I still have the 30 day return policy.