Who's seriously considering leaving AMD for their next GPU purchase?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Are you considering leaving AMD after this year's drivers issues.

1. Absolutely.

35 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Probably

37 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Will see how the 7000 performs, first.

87 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No. Never going green.

44 vote(s)
    21.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    oh dear.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I don't think this thread is achieving much. Pill Monster had this sorted by post number 2.

3. nakquada

nakquada Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    hahha, clever :D

4. wafu88

wafu88 Active Member

GPU:
    DDR3
    This is the most likely. When next gen consoles come out, just ditch PC Gaming. DX is a mess, PC is a mess and PC game development is now an after thought after console focus anyway.

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Lots of these posters are very, very new, which to me sounds like marketing FUD, something that Nvidia is -VERY- well known for, like Blacklisting tech sites if they don't kiss the ground Nvidia walks on

Oh yeah, and I got LINKS to back up such a statement! Shocking I know!

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/05/30/how-nvidia-blacklists-sites-hardware-secrets/

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/174

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/13...ng-review-sites-for-upcoming-gts250-card.aspx

Oh no! But I was told Nvidia was a saint company, with drivers raining from heaven and didn't participate in any scandals! You know, ones like this.

PhysX CPU crippled

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT070510142143&p=1

Oh but yeah! They fixed it! Yeah PhysX uses multiple threads for CPU and improves the performance more then five fold, and also rumored to use modern SSE2 instructions! I'm sure they'll be sure to make every developer use it for all their future games! I mean, it would just be underhanded if they forced a developer to use a older version for a blockbuster AAA+ game so it only ran well on Nvidia cards! Well, that would just be evil!

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...e-PC-version-DX11-tessellation-and-more/News/

Ok ok, I think I'm being evil, its not like Nvidia purposely skips manufacturing steps to make a quick buck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia#GPU_controversies_for_Laptops.2FNotebooks

Oh crap I am bad at this, ok ok, but they have the best driver support on the planet, and each driver revision is fully reviewed before then send them out for WHQL, so they are always top notch drivers!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-196.75-drivers-over-heating,9802.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/nvidia-responds-complaints-newly-released-gtx-590-frying/

Ok ok, I'm getting sick of posting links and making a VERY obvious point. Nvidia is not the savoir of 3D graphics a ton of you are making them out to be, I know fanboys can be deluded but god damn, see with your own eyes once in awhile

I'm SERIOUSLY considering picking up a 580GTX 3GB right now, cause I don't want to wait for the next card revisions, but I have the ability to read forums, read benchmarks, and look at both what AMD and Nvidia is doing before I make a choice. And I don't delude myself into thinking one is better then the other. They are both companies, they both want your dollar, they both are sneaky and evil bastards who if they can trick you out of a dollar they will do it, but in comparison they are the exact same.

In performance per watt, the exact same. In driver stability, the exact same. etc etc etc

Getting sick of trolls on both sides making what was a logical thread discussion into a FUD throwing nightmare, you should all be ashamed of yourself for any of you shouting baseless facts.

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

That's exactly what you said skippy, and you try to sugar coat it after the fact, but when you said it, you meant every word of it

7. alphaproxima

alphaproxima Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850 @1040/1200
    How me asking for numbers is not constructive? I suppose youre one of the "not bitches" that makes posts like the one you did, the COMMON KNOWLEDGE YOU ONLY POSSESS OFC.

I believe everyone should back up what he says like some do. And start bothering about consolitis which is a common problem

8. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    Strait away you've had me in stitches, i imagined you said it in a Napoleon dynamite voice, he he te he he im off now to tinker with skyrim.

9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    I'll never switch to Nvidia because I've always already been with Nvidia. Went from Ti4200 to 7800GTX, to 9600M GS. I still play games but totally not as much as I once used to. Severe case of allergy to consoles and consolitis here.

The drivers from Nvidia also suck, no excuse to be made about it. The ones from AMD just usually suck more (IMO). Although maybe theoretically I could live with that right now because I believe the problem is mainly games related and like I said I don't play games on a very regular basis anymore, I think software support for CUDA is what's scared me away from AMD / ATI in the end. So before CUDA existed it wasn't just the drivers, but the minimum fps also. Years ago, when online multiplayer games weren't yet hacked within days after their release, the average fps was always leaving me stone cold. And it still is now.

10. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Why are you even here if the thread is "Who's seriously considering leaving AMD for their next GPU purchase" if all you have ever bought is Nvidia?

What is your purpose here? Why exactly are you in this thread, when it has nothing to do with you, nor does the topic?

See, this is what I meant by blind fanboyism, this isn't an objective poster, this is a biased person who came here either to troll, or fanboy for his choice, or possibly both

"Cuda is great that's what scared me away from ATI/AMD" tell me one thing CUDA does well, I know its not 3D rendering because GPU for both companies always gets that wrong, I -DEFINITELY- know its not GPU transcoding and encoding, both AMD and Nvidia also get that hilariously wrong, hell even Intel with the 2600K and its "On die videocard" GPU encoding is hilariously bad. Its not as bad as AMD and Intel's offerings, but its damn close

Cuda is terrible because its not a open standard. This is what is killing it. This is also what killed PhysX because its not an open standard. Sure Nvidia says AMD can use it, but only nvidia can write the drivers, and only they can see the source code so AMD can't write their own drivers, so for Cuda and PhysX ending up on Nvidia how do you know they would play fair? They already don't play fair with PhysX on CPU's, why do you think they would play fair with PhysX and Cuda on AMD GPU's?

OpenCL, Havok Physics, and Bullet physics are the standard, try as Nvidia wants to try and kill them, they are the standard. Could you imagine if Microsoft bowed over and said that Nvidia could dictate how Direct X is run, and only THEY got to release drivers for "Their cards" and "Everyone else", the GPU market would be a disaster

Both AMD and Nvidia given half the chance will steal your wallet, but don't kid yourself that one is better then the other. AMD backing OpenCL etc isn't just to support a open standard, it also hurts Nvidia and Nvidia's image that it tries to sell to investors "Oh you can go with Cuda, which only works on nvidia, or you can go with OpenGL, which EVERYONE can do". It severely hurts Nvidia's bottom line

Again, why exactly are you here?

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Who could have possibly foreseen that this thread would end up the way it has..!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.