Who's seriously considering leaving AMD for their next GPU purchase?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Are you considering leaving AMD after this year's drivers issues.

1. Absolutely.

35 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Probably

37 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Will see how the 7000 performs, first.

87 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No. Never going green.

44 vote(s)
    21.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    I had a to rma a 5870 due to mass artifacting caused from overheating. Didn't turn me off ati..... Sorry, your point is vague....Has no relevance & if my 5970 had died or needed to be RMA'd so be it....

The case is it's not broken hardware wise however it is crippled often on the DRIVER side. Understand, or are you a blind/deaf fanboy?
    ATI make great cards and are very competitive against the competition, the drivers and support with devs is what is the huge problem and what is failing them.... Single gpu, usually you're golden, crossfire is hit and miss which is just not acceptable.
    Often waiting forever for profiles, whilst they're disabling crossfire on other versions of caps for no good reason other than incompetence as they can't get it to properly with CF often when it's needed. Instead..... They take a shortcut, bail on supporting CF with a certain title and disable cf in the next caps 'update' aka would you like an upgrade with your downgrade?.... That's seriously weak.

2. 1boolet

1boolet Active Member

GPU:
    5970+5850GPU+gf460gtx PPU
    I'll never buy nvidias card my trifire is working like it should and eyefinity rocks ha 460gtx is too slow to do physx as ppu card ill just put it in my online computer and give another 5850 in my gaming rig to have 4gpus runing the eyefinity...

3. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    What people dont want to understand is that we are plagued with console based games. The majority have been made with a console as lead platform; consoles dont have multi gpu configurations. Nvidia and AMD have to fix this with every released game but it s not always perfect either SLI or CFX. Their techniques for multi-gpus dont always work and they have to be disabled.

Just ask yourself if you need a HD 6990 or gtx580 SLI to run a game created in a x1900xt video card. Be honest and my advise is just to stick to a single gpu card.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I'm going to wait to see what both camps have to offer, however, I'm leaning towards Nvidia this time around. I don't really care about performance as much as I do features and functionality. If the HD7000's features are largely the same as the HD6000, I'm definitely going to Nvidia. Below are the reasons why.

With AMD
    1) Eyefinity requires a powered mini-dp to DVI adapter, which is frustrating at times to get working ( not necessarily AMD's fault on this one ).
    2) There is no driver level AA functionality in DX10/11 games.
    3) Narrow-Tent and Wide-Tent have both been removed.
    4) There has been no improvement on MLAA over the course of the year it's been released.

With Nvidia
    1) Surround video does not require a powered adapter.
    2) Driver level AA functionality exists in DX10/11 games.
    3) More anti-aliasing and transparency anti-aliasing modes.
    4) Driver level SSAO.

5. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    For me it depends on the timing of the release and which card works best in the games I am interested in. I'm not loyal to one over the other to be honest. Been happy with both.

6. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    I edited out your name calling because its an indication of no faith in your comments by their own merit.

Not talking about the odd faulty card, im talking about a hardware design flaw which had to be fixed with driver throttling to stop the VRMs blowing because they were too weak for the cards.

It seem that you had no idea of the issue.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    NV Surround video requires 2 cards, AMD only requires a powered adapter version with 2560x1600 displays, a passive is ok for below.

There is no driver level AA functionality in DX10/11 games.
    That's news to me because i force AAx16 and Supersample in UT3 dx10 mode.

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    No problem, I prefer dual GPUs anyway.

Fascinating, then it seems UT3 is the only game that AMD cards can do SSAA in DX10/11 without the use of Tommti's SSAA Tool

9. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    At the moment, I own a 560 SLi rig, a 6950 crossfire rig, and a HD5750 rig. Never had driver issues with either camp (A few BSODs with the 560 rig, but that's not a driver issue).

I'm probably going with the 7000 series if it comes out before the 600 series. I myself go for the best buck for bang, and AMD easily wins in that category.

10. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    I will test some more dx10/11 games without using the in game AA to see.
    Narrow-Tent and Wide-Tent are both available to me as well as Edge.

Cant force in DMC4 dx10 mode.
    No go with Crysis 2 dx11 ,Bioshock dx10.

Afterburner says UT3 is running is DX9 even though i set the config for DX10.

I will have to see what's really going on because it used to run in Dx10.

11. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Actually, no it isn't... Fire up MSI Afterburner and watch the GPU usage on your AMD card(s) and on your 460GTX in Batman: Arkahm Asylum.

I tried it and for some reason neither my 4870x2 or my 460GTX went over 30% usage... I am thinking it is yet another problem with Nvidia trying to do whatever they can to block using one of their cards with any other card.

As for AMD's drivers... sure there are bugs sometimes.. but it happens just as much with Nvidia's drivers... I've had and have both brands and it is always something not working quite right with any given driver release from either side.

12. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    I own both nvidia and AMD gpu's, albeit single gpu cards, but AMD's drivers have been flawless. Nvidia ont he other hand, never going nvidia again.
    dont appreciate TDR issues at near stock clocks, or having to bump voltage at stock clocks.
    check the nvidia community forums, plagued with issues.:banana:

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    hmm it would be a lie to say if I havent had driver related issues from ATI as of late which I do but I also had nvidia driver issues as well.. and strangly when I only had nvidia cards 280 and older is when i had driver issues.... the prices of the new nvidia top single GPU is what stops my purchase.... unless it lasted like my Ti 4600 that was well worth the 750 premium

14. Conan

Conan Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6870 1G
    I've got no complains ! I've been using Nvidia since geforce 2 up until geforce 8 series. Gotta say that AMD makes pretty reasonable GPUs especially if you're on tight budget

15. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    Probably

16. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Lol this is silly. All anyone has to do is go to NV forums and see tons of people there with problems. NV's sli does not run every game and so on. Both have problems. We see this kind of talk everytime NV or ATI/AMD is about to come out with a new card. Then people read some site review and buy the card then wonder..why their card doesnt run like the reviews. All PC's are different.

So what your not going to buy AMD woot for you. Its not going to hurt them at all.. enjoy your new what ever you buy.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can you show me how you apply 16xAA using an ATI card.

I'd love to see that.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    dont you need CFX for that ?

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I know it can't be done with one card...

Maybe it is a CFX thing..

20. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    nVidia is nothing more than mass marketed junk just like Apples products, they spend an insane amount of money each year convincing you just how horrible ATI is and how good they are. ATI on the other hand spends their millions and millions on R&D, and if you compare the two companies, you'll notice AMD hardly, and I mean barely markets their products compared to the giants like nvidia and intel. AMD relies on its customers to spread the word, and does not rely on the expertise of commercial marketing gurus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.