Who's seriously considering leaving AMD for their next GPU purchase?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Are you considering leaving AMD after this year's drivers issues.

1. Absolutely.

35 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Probably

37 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Will see how the 7000 performs, first.

87 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No. Never going green.

44 vote(s)
    21.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    I have 6990+6970 and 2x gtx580.
    I using 6990+6970 in my main gaming rig, because it perform better than 2xgtx580 i Battlefield 3 and all other games I play. 2xGTX 580 is good, but 6990+6970 is Very good, The drivers is also very godd for me with trifire. But the CAP is often breaking CFX performance for me :p

ATI and nVidia is the same **** when i comes to drivers. All have problems. But some people always seam to have problems LOL. Maybe it is user failure? :D

I do not use single card. I consider CFX and sli to be very good for me, and for the games I play.

BTW, I testing ALL betadrivers and official drivers that are coming. Then I use the driver that is working best for me and for the games I play.
    Right now BF3 all the way

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Scout

Scout Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    important enough for you to open it AND post a reply

now go hide in the corner.

and yeah I'll move to nvidia if the performance is on pair with amd, even if a bit more expensive.

3. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Id have to say that BOTH red and green have had their share of unaddressed or insonsistantly working situations in both camps...and if you bought 2 cars...exact same models of one brand, and exact same price...and one came with 3 tires...and one came with a 1 cylinder engine...would you accept the answer,' oh they 'rest' should be ready next month.' Would that be an acceptable answer to you?

..yet....it is. Why?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh Dear God... please go away and take your noob with you. :)

kthxby

5. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I'm so dissapointed in Ati: to many BSOD-s on single card. I know that agp is ancient tech but if they did sell it, they should ensure solid driver support. For most games I was searching solutions on this and other forums how to even play without freaking out from crashes and BSOD-s.
    After new year I'm going on Intel/Nvidia (GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II, i5).

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gentlemen .. keep it nice or receive infractions.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Holy cow that was fast...impressive.

Now I feel I should remove myself from this thread..... :)

8. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I don't have any driver issues.

Last problem I had that could be traced to drivers were HDMI/DP audio output being knackered in a few releases, though I can't remember if that was last year or the year before that.

I buy what brand suits me but I need three simultaneous display outputs and so far AMD is the only brand offering me that. Also, lower power draw at the same performance level which is important for my personal build.

If Nvidia can equal the price/performance and performance/watt of AMD cards with the next-gen architecture for both brands, as well as offer three simultaneous display outputs, I'd certainly consider switching.

9. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    >Looks at AMD forums, AMD section here
    >Looks at Nvidia forums, Nvidia section here
    >Both groups having the same amount of problems

Why, oh why do people keep saying one group has more problems then the other?

I can clearly see both sides have issues, not the same issues, but the same amount of issues

Reading the nvidia driver patch notes, its just as full as many things it breaks as it fixes like AMD, yet AMD is the "Driver devil" or something

I owned several generation of nvidia and AMD, the only times I had problems with nvidia was

1. Causing all structures in Bioshock and other Unreal engine games geometry to disappear, took 3 months to fix
    2. Causing all my 3d modeling apps to crash, took a week to fix with beta drivers

and Amd:

1. Causing area's of the ground in Borderlands to vanish, fixed in two months
    2. Causing the sunshafts in Bulletstorm to display incorrectly, fixed in two weeks

That's it, years and years of swapping back and forth between them, only problems I had with either card maker

Then I hear this stuff about "Crossfire never works, Nvidia SLI always works" yet I look over the web and TONS of people are having SLI problems, and that Nvidia needs SLI profiles for games just like AMD needs crossfire profiles for games.

I am HEAVILY weighing in that its trolls that are saying that only ONE side of the coin is having problems, "Oh AMD has a history of bad drivers!" etc while ignoring everything going on the other side of the park with selective reasoning and memory

Just to note, I voted "Wait to see what the 7000 series is like" cause I want to know if its going to be worth buying, every card generation I hold out to see if its better or not, its not changed then, its not changed now. Whatever gets best price x performance x power usage x heat I will buy it

10. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I'm with the guy earlier that will need an Nvidia card for Arma 3.

11. alphaproxima

alphaproxima Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850 @1040/1200
    Its obvious most people have open minds, but in internet forums (like almost everywhere in life) people that whine the most get more attention. Having a big experience in troubleshooting issues, many people cause problems themselves, or ask for help in the wrong direction. Ive been playing thousands of games 5-18 hours a day since I was 8 and all these years I didnt have that many issues. (the only games i quit due to bugs were daggerfall and nwn :p - nwn corrupted all my saved games after patching so I wouldnt start over, daggerfall needs no introduction I suppose)
    Most people have complaints but they dont care that much or find workarounds. I will "Probably" wait to "see how the 7000 performs, first".
    Normal people check before buying new cards, green or red ones. Its always about performance/price ratio and stability.

12. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    I'm also saving up for my new card at the moment and I would LIKE to go to nvidia just for the experience. Been on Ati this whole time and agree with the issue of waiting for the driver support despite excellant hardware. With the fiery reigns of hell i will not buy a dual card again. I've been waiting for the 7xxx series infact for quite a while though. Ofcourse if ATI's single 7xxxx series card pawns nvidias matchup then I will have to bite my tongue about switching over

13. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    I started the thread because I am curious, as many, to see how people are coping with the recent driver issues.

I have told myself that I would consider seriously Nvidia next time but I will wait for the 7000 series to land first. My next setup will be a single card but I fear I will want to upgrade to mpgu down the road.

Finally, I hope AMD driver team sees this thread as it reflects pretty well the mindset of their enthusiast paying customers. I would like them to take actions to correct the situation. I really wish AMD puts it **** together because competition is healthy and their cards are great!

:)

14. cachudo

cachudo Member

GPU:
    Mobilty Crossfire 5870
    Being my first year with crossfire setup, with all the problems, driver issues, having to mix and match files, put this file here don't use that one and so on and still having problems. Then watching my friend with his sli setup never having a problem with sli, i'm done with amd/ati. This is the first and last time i'll buy or design with a computer with a amd/ati graphics card. Skyrim was the last straw. The 11.11 drivers are so bad and have caused so many problems I can't believe they were released.

15. jesyjames02

jesyjames02 New Member

GPU:
    6950 Crossfire 2gb
    I don't know what I'd buy when I upgrade as that isn't in my near future.

I can say I am fairly disappointed with my trifired 6950s. And it is all because of driver support. You can label me a troll, but I'm merely recounting my experience.

I mainly played two multiplayer games last year. Left 4 Dead 2 and Blackops. Of those, only Left 4 Dead 2 worked without issue. Starting with 11.8, Blackops was essentially broken on crossfire, let alone trifire.

My solo gaming experience has been far worse. Proper crossfire support eventually comes(mostly), but by then I am done with the game: Deus Ex HR, Dead Island, Crisis 2, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Rage. By my count that is 7 out of 8 games that didn't work very good for me.

The counter to that argument is that every one of those games played fine for me on a single card, with the exception of some lower performance in Witcher 2 and Skyrim.

I absolutely might be culpable for having a system that is overkill for my needs, but I am not sure that justifies the total lack of proper multi-card support at launch on all these titles.

I think a lot lately about selling 2 of the cards and just sticking with one and then upgrading when the 7000 series comes out or the next Nvidia series. I also think about selling all 3 and switching to two 580 slis-- which I probably would do except when the support is there 3 6950s beat that set up. It's just that the support usually comes after I've lost interest in the games I play.

Works great in the Heaven's Benchmark though... :/

16. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Never going green :)

17. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    I always seem to end up with multi gpu configurations, my 8800GTX's ran beautifully. Had to wait for driver support from time to time, but nothing like I've seen with AMD.

Yeah, this will most likely be my last AMD purchase for a while.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I'll never go back to the Greens.

19. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    i was on the green side since geforce 2 but after the 8 series i buy a 4870 and i'm very happy with amd cards i ve been running first one card then crossfire when the games becames more demanding and it give me all i want and i finally buy a 6970 because of dx11 support and because i coulnd't get a least 60 fps on modern games. About crossfire it's useless to buy a dual or tri fire config just to hav over 100 fps when you can play at 60 fps nicely with no prob with one gpu and wath is the point to put 16 AF and 8 AA to play at 1080p or more even your eyes can't make the difference with less AA and AF, i can't get the point of people who are furstrate because they can't put all at max, in most game putting all at max change nothing but eat performance. And for the poll i vote to stay amd it's cheaper and run great on amd mobo.

20. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    In an age of console ports, I think people should stick to single card configurations. Red or green doesnt matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.