Who's seriously considering leaving AMD for their next GPU purchase?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Are you considering leaving AMD after this year's drivers issues.

1. Absolutely.

35 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Probably

37 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Will see how the 7000 performs, first.

87 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No. Never going green.

44 vote(s)
    21.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Well I should point out neither side have perfect drivers

I get a driver crash if I have the hardware acceleration turned on in Firefox along with some weird issues in Crysis 2

Not to mention both driver teams would have to work on multiple cards not to mention different configurations

Then of course they have to through reported issues too I would imagine it would take hell of a long time to go through them all

2. painter

painter Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 670 2GB
    Twelve years with nV... now just four months in with AMD and I want to go back. The card is great, superb value, powerful, nice big 2gb of VRAM, runs cool even when heavily overclocked, and the image quality is superb... but I have had more trouble with the drivers in those four months, than the whole twelve years with nV... and I used to chuck every driver going at my nV cards [BETA's modded Quadro's, Tesla's etc.] yet it always worked, and I rarely went back to a previous version.... yet with AMD it seems every driver has a problem with one thing or another, and I'm sick of picking them apart, putting files in game folders, just to get things to work as they should.

Two WHQL sets (11.10 & 11.11), yet the old preview sets still work better.

I live in hope that things will improve, as I can't afford to change cards a this point, but I would if I could.

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Will wait and see how the 7 series goes, haven't had any issues with drivers though, maybe i'm just lucky?

4. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GamingX
    I always liked ATI more for several reasons already stated above, but the driver things, specially with a Xfire setup, is killing me now :/

5. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Never getting AMD/ATI again after my X800 Pro. Things look worse driver wise for them now then when i had that card in 2005-2006.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    But wouldn't you like to get your DDR-based RAMs even cheaper? :p

7. V1tol

V1tol Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Maybe I'll buy some nvidia in future just to feel difference between

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't have any issue with the drivers themselves, but the software package I hate with a burning passion.

CCC sucks, the worst thing is there is no profile manager, also AI can only be disabled via .xml editing.
    ATI external Event service (aka hotkey poller) is more unnecessary resource hogging bloatware.
    CIM is further proof of dev incompetence.
    It never installs properly and I have to update my drivers manually every single time (this is OK becuz at least I don't get multiple crapware apps on my PC).
    Of course in order to update manually I first have to extract the files.
    Naturally due to the retarded install package the extraction cannot be done with winrar so I have to use 7zip..

My thoughts on all this....well they say a picture speaks volumes, so....

[​IMG]

9. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    The truth is very simple - ATI manufactured Graphics Card's are GREAT, they have a GREAT manufacturing process and GREAT performance. That said - the Driver support is SHOCKINGLY BAD!!!

I am seriously regretting buying an HD 6870 in July of this year as my upgrade from an Nvidia GTX 260. It might be a much better card but certain games such as Crysis 2 actually ran better on my significantly less powerful 260!

In Summary - ATI cards are cheaper and better and the people who design the cards deserve to have better people sorting out the drivers and the customer support. At best ATI are always a month behind Nvidia and at worst they never catch up. I just think that the side of the business that does drivers is being run by people who panic all the time and stumble about in the office screaming and running around in circles desperate to get any driver out!

My Next card will not be an ATI - unless they get their act together before my next purchase, which I am currently saving up for!

Also, I do understand that most game launch problems are the fault of the game developers being selfish greedy twats who dream about making money off of xbox sales without thinking about the long term. Customer satisfaction - that's what it used to be called when I was but a boy. Don't think i'll ever see that again, in any industry!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  10. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I'm likely done with AMD for now. I had a Radeon HD 4870 X2 and the thing had SEVERE heat problems. It ended up dying before the warranty period ended (haha, they failed at scamming me) and I ended up with my current card as an RMA replacement. This entire thing left an impression of AMD incompetence on me

Driver support is AWFUL. Just bad.

Plus, aside from a random GeForce 8600 GTS in our home main computer and a GeForce 8600M GT in my crappy laptop, I haven't owned a GeForce card since the GeForce 6800 GT. I think it's about time I get another nVidia card.

I have no loyalty to either firm (or any firm), because brand loyalty is plain stupid. I just am not very impressed with AMD.

Oh, and with an nVidia card I'll get PhysX, haha.

- PR-0927

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    QFT. :cheers:

12. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    I had a sli 580 a month ago, had to rma it due to a engineering problem.

So... since i had bought a 30" monitor, sli 580s wasnt enough for battlefield at 2560.

In short...

AMD = 6990+6970 = Faster, cheaper and I previously had a 5970, so I knew i was going to grumble about it.

NVIDIA = 580 SLI = Can´t say much about it, the caards are great, never had driver issues, but 580sli wasnt enough for me. Expect a few exceptions such as witcher 2 ( 99% usage but didnt seem to work properly) all sli profiled worked as they should, can´t say the same for nvidia. In fact, as soon as I got my trifire, I tried Witcher 2 (all gpus @ 40%), Crysis 2 (all gpus @50%), Skyrim @ 15fps, the list goes on.

In short, I think nowadays ati cards have become a thing for advanced users who visit forums like this often, otherwise get nvidia.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  13. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX570 X 4GB
    I have flickering shadows in almost every game..

14. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    AMD has problems with Profiles for Crossfire systems.
    So single GPU systems are OK in this situation.

This is a trolling thread, must to report

15. deluxe

deluxe Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    I always consider BOTH brands, they both have had issues.

16. @ST

@ST Member

GPU:
    660 ti
    As a dedicated ArmA2 player I´m somewhat sad BIS already has a deal with the devil (physX confirmed for ArmA3).
    Looks like the green side will finally get me in summer 2012 when ArmA3 comes out (just to be on the safe side) :puke2:

17. synapz

synapz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    Not been using any ATI/AMD card since X1950 so I don't really need to leave AMD since I have not been there for a long time.

Currently using GTX590 (before that I had ...8800GTX, 280, 295) and have absolutely not problems in any game including Skyrim (steady 60 fps, all settings max except shadows which are at medium. Not tried that at high yet though. I don't really care if GPU(s) are used 100% if I have 60 fps with sync on at max settings. Playing Skyrim uses if not max then high enough I think, I can hear it from the GPU fan.

18. mysteriomp

mysteriomp Member

GPU:
    5770 CF
    Crossfire sux and so does SLI!

My one 5770 seems to work fine. Next time I'm going with the best single card, who ever has it ATI or Nvida I will buy.

19. Sjamaan

Sjamaan New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    I'll wait to see those 79XX and their new GCN architecture, but yeah, I'm definitely considering to change for the big green nV and their waaaaay better SW support.

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Imo the only issue that's bugging AMD is very long instruction word (VLIW) and that's a past in 7970 so i doubt they will have "any real problems"..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.