Who's seeing King Kong this week?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Insomniac34, Dec 13, 2005.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    funny how putting "/sarcasm" on the end makes up for my shatty statement. It's like when someone says "I hate you...im jking!". Aaahhh....maybe I'm the pile.

2. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Badass movie, the King Kong vs 4 T-Rex scene was by far the best. Jack Black's character was really confusing though... those of you who have seen it will understand me when I say I dont know whether I should have liked or hated him (his character, not Jack Black himself. :p)

3. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I have just got home from seeing it. There was only 5-10 people in the cinema as well. 12:00, friday lunch time so that is understandable. But trust me, I get the 3 annoying children sitting behind me kicking my seat and commentating on everything that is happening. But the really annoying thing is they weren't doing it enough to warrant losing my perfect seat, right in the centre. Bastards! The scathing glare at them made them stop a little, and they didn't do it during the quite bits much. They were just generally annoying. Does anyone else find that once you get it in your head that these people are annoying you, you can't stop thinking about it. Then you think to yourself, I am over-thinking this, they aren't as bad as I think. It still keeps popping into your head from time to time though. I should have RRRRRAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHed them.
    Any hoo. Film was alright.

4. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    I know what ya mean. Right at the very end, as Kong was dying, two small groups of about 3 people each got up and left. I was watching the screen and saw people leaving out the corner of my eye, and it pissed me off. I thought about it for about 30 seconds after they left, but I still was able to focus on the movie. Not as bad as having a couple brats annoying me from behind, though. I live in a college town so I was generally surrounded by people 18 - 23 years old, so I don't have to deal with it

As for the Jack Black character, you were supposed to hate him I think, but there were still a lot of moments where his character made you laugh and made you happy he was still alive. I'd go into further details, but I don't wanna spoil any of the funny scenes. So I see where you're coming from Kow. And yeah, Kong vs. 4 T-Rexes was by far the best part. The theater went nuts when he took out the very last one :D

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    King-Kong dies of monkeypox at the end?

6. Rasp

Rasp Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5770
    This was a great movie.

7. fatsaint

fatsaint Master Guru

Movie is gonna be good! I hav'nt watched this one but i have watched the old 1's. Just hope it turns out good. But since you guys have already given your views, i think i will go for it, as well as the new Potter movie.

8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I saw the King yesterday. The cinematography is fantastic. The story is pretty true to the original although the movie was a lot longer that it should be. Jackson probably could have cut out a lot from the first hour. Even the jungle scene was drawn out too long.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh my god! The EXACT same thing happened to me today. Me and my mates went to see it at 01:00 PM. There were only like 30-40 people there, and most of them were kids. Now, behind us sat this row of ~ 14 year olds, who just couldn't shut the **** up! They were even using their cell phones during the film! I tried hushing them several times, with no success, and my mate even shouted "shut the hell up", which helped for maybe 2 mins. And when about 40 mins of the film was left, some of them started to leave the theatre, of course not the quiet way. But did they stay out? NO! They came back after 10 mins. I haven't been so pissed in months.! I was exactly one inch from following them outside and kick their asses. JEEBUS!

Now, the film. It was amazing! Beautifully made, with awesome effects, super-wide landscape shots, fantastic "us in the 30's" mood, good acting (the jack black role suited him SOOO well) and and awesome story. Really, this is how a blockbuster is supposed to be like. And I'm not lying when I say that this flick is way up there along with LOTR.

10. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    4 and 3/4 Stars. Good directing. Pretty good acting. Awesome movie.

11. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    I'm going to see it tomorrow. I know some people who have already seen it and they say its just too long. Most of it is said to be that stupid woman lol which aparently is boaring.
    I'm going with quite a few friends so we shouldn't have a problem with anyone annoying us.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Let me just say, don't buy the large pop or you'll pee your pants before the movie is over. It's three hours. Jackson seems to like making really long movies. Even the LOTR movies were a tad too long, as good as they are. The King is still king though. All hail his royal apeness!

13. Since i got no time to go the Cinema, i downloaded one of those crappy TELECINE XviD versions, it's a great movie, but imho the 1976 version remains my favorite.

Hopefully this weekend i'll take my wife, buy 2 tickets and watch it at the cinema, maybe i'll change my mind. ;)
    either ways, when the DVD is out, i'll buy it.

want a PETER JACKSON movie that is fantastic?
    get your hands on BAD TASTE , i own the DVD and it rocks!

14. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    OMG... its 3 hrs long?!

15. If you guys judge a movie by it's lenght, you're screwed....

Take a look at STEPHEN KING movies like IT, THE STAND, STORM OF THE CENTURY....these movies are long, well over 3 hours, and yet we feel it was too short and wished it were 20 hours long.

another example of time is the TV series - LOST ......45 minutes episodes seemed like 1 minute to us, why? .....cause they're incredible.

PJ KING KONG isn't worth 3 hours of movie time, but it's fun nonetheless,
    the best part is after you go out of the cinema and deep inside you something says: Damn, that movie seemed endless

if you feel so, then you didn't like the movie....and that's exactly what i felt when i saw PETER MICHAEL JACKSON - KING KONG. :hatty:

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Interesting Kong fact. The original was rumored to have been Adolf Hitler's favorite movie.

I'd like to see the original now. It might be on MPIX next month or I may buy the DVD.

17. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I watched the original 1933 version yesterday on TCM(Turner Classic Movies) it was good actually. Considering how old it was the effects were pretty good and made me laugh too.hehe

18. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Did you see a zipper on the Kong suit? :D

I haven't seen the original yet, but I just saw an ad for it on AMC so I might try and catch it.

19. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    hehe, that's not surprising. king kong is said to be an allegory of the superiority of western soceity over all the other mongrels. link

1 person likes this.
  20. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    I don't think I'll have any drink when I go later! I normally wait till after:).