Who said INTEL original mobo are bad?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by iExplorer, May 4, 2005.

1. iExplorer

iExplorer Guest

LOL, a friend of mine had an ASUS based on I865PE and it died yesterday, so we went and got an INTEL original mobo I865PERL, we installed it, updated bios to latest version and tweaked it like the old mobo and installed windowsXP...

After configuring everything proper, we reboot and fired 3Dmark2003 and he got directly 120 marks more, then we loaded DOOM3 and he got 4 FPS more, he's not an overclocker and INTEL mobos are known for the outstanding stability, the system feels real snappier than his old ASUS. :D

I think INTEL is getting in the game and gone are the days of sluggish and slow original mobo they used to do.

If my mobo dies, i'll upgrade to an original INTEL even if they cost a bit more. ;)

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    It's because Intel brand boards don't support any form of overclocking.

3. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Are you serious? Intel sucks, I had one. They use crappy components and don't have any sort of active cooling on any of their components, and as the above poster said they don't support overclocking (unless you buy one of their top-of-the-line 925X or 925XE boards, which compared to other boards in that price range they suck).

I mean, I guess it's cool if you are happy with the product, but seriously, ASUS owns Intel when it comes to performance.

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    The only explanation of the "extra performance" comes from the fact that you "reinstalled" Windows. We all know that fresh installs perform a lot better because they don't contain all the resource eating services that get installed with all the bloated software everyone seems to use these days...(yeah, especially Office XP and the spyware included with that... ;))

5. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Intel motherboards are definately one thing - rock solid.

As far as everything else is concerned (overclocking, other features, etc) - Intel motherboards do indeed suck.

6. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    agree, but the D850gb chipset desktopboard with rdram sucks, having stability problems with it, and had several bios problems too with it.

maybe it's just my board...

7. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Thats a possibility. Could be reasons other than the motherboard too...

8. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    yeah, the lame willamette 1.4 GHz cpu, or my 4 sticks of hard to get and expensive rambus rimms LOL :D

anyway, planning on selling it cheaply for an office machine or some kiddies that need a pc...

9. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

I do own that mobo you mentioned INTEL 865PERL, it's installed from 6 month and stability with any upgrade i did is 100%.

As for performance, it support some kind of overclocking (BURN IN MODE) and Ram tweak like the 1T command , CL timing, i don't overclock just simply tweak and set my hardware as intended , my ram is CL2.5/3/7/3 timings.

If you are interested in a small benchmark, this is mine 3Dmark2003 is 11068 marks

My system is on your right ------------------>

10. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    It doesn't support overclocking. I had an Intel board that had some kind of burn in as well but it wouldn't let me adjust my FSB so I got a different one. The board is stable but it should be when running at stock speeds.

11. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

Some motherboards even at stock aren't Stable, because those taiwanese sometimes cut corners, while INTEL doesn't joke and you pay the higher price cause they built-it and used top quality components ;)

Actually the I865Perl can increase I/O FSB by a preset % in a menu , not exactly like ABIT where you type the FSB, but you just choose from preset Percentage like 1% - 2% etc, you can even alter AGP/PCI also, although you can't lock it.

Maybe it won't make my 3.06ghz go 3.5ghz , but if i want i can always push to 3.2ghz or whatever possible, although it's something i won't do.

Anyway, this mobo is great and i love it, if you're a serious tweaker go with anything else, just make sure you get what you pay for.

12. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    If you are a serious tweaker or gamer, then you should be avoiding Intel motherboards like the plague. Abit, Asus, and DFI make motherboards that are infinitely better for that type of thing.

13. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

Repeating what i said before? :D

14. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    I was ignoring what you said. After the taiwanese comment I stopped reading.

15. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Actually Intel does cut corners by using crappier components (i.e. transistors, etc.) That is why their boards are usually cheaper. Abit, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. use better components.

16. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
  17. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I don't think Intel's boards are quite as BIOS locked as they used to be, but they're still pretty bad. If you want to run stock, then it doesn't really matter what you get as long as its reliable. As Intel makes the processors too they really have no interest in helping you overclock them.... so I don't think its so much that Intel can't design a board that can hang with Abit and DFI but that they just don't want to. Keep in mind that most hardware is sold to OEMs anyway and sold as complete systems, and they don't want you overclocking either, so the whole end-user motherboard market must really be pretty tiny anyway.

18. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Well if you installed a new mobo, then you apparently reinstalled Windows right?

Running 3Dmark on a fresh windows install gave you the extra points. The fresh windows install explains everything, including the extra fps in DOOM.

and btw, I had an Asus I865PE, it was a great mobo. I gave it to a friend and she's making good use of it.

Buying an intel mobo is like eating at McDonalds for dinner.... If that's what you like, do it, but I'd prefer to eat a nice dinner at a good restaurant.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  19. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I think that's a less them perfect anology, because it relies once again on quality. I think Intel boards are probably comparable on quality, what you lose is BIOS options. So its more like getting two cars, one of which you're contractually oblodged not to change anything. They're both good, but with one you can't "tweak" it to run outside of spec, just have to stick with stock. That is a serious problem if you want to tweak, not a problem at all if you don't... and believe it or not, most people don't.

20. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    120 pts is within the margin of error :\