Who is moving to HDMI?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, if your like me you have been watching the developemtn of the HDMI audio technologies very closely. Few can dispute they are the future of digital audio standards and they offer us new high resolutions output standards and lossless multichannel audio over digital interconnects. My question is who is considering moving to HDMI when we finally have the ability to?

2. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    HDMI is not that much superior to high-end THX/Monster-grade Component and Digital Optical Audio...

HDMI is a waste of $1500~, first you have to buy a new 50-inch panel that you may not even need, then you have to purchase an HDMI receiver, which ranges easily between $350 and $1500, depending on room size and how far you want to go ;)

The only 'benefits' are 1080p instead of 1080i (which is hard to notice the difference, my Charter HDTV setup going into my good old Dell 2405FPW is pretty decent, all things considered)...

Audio benefits are negligible, and the reason is because while you may have one HDMI cable, you STILL have the standard 16gauge speaker wire to deal with, not to mention the power cables.

So, after you purchase a lot of gear that won't really be worth the massive expense, you'll be asking yourself: What in the hell did I just spend so much money on?!

HDMI is fine if you already HAVE the HDMI-native equipment, but if you don't, it's a huge expense for almost no tangible gains.

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I may do a DIY HT Speakers setup with HDMI on the reciver in the near future, when I replace my Logitech Z5500's with a cheap HT setup. As for video no need My montior has HDMI even the HDTV upstairs and the other room has HDMi, if we even get a HDMI reciver for the HDTV it would be for the one in the other room. But That wouldnt happen soon. Not until I make a HTPC for the Big Screen HDTV in the other room.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Many guys I talk with are just waiting for a reasonable solution to be hammered out for HDMI 1.3 audio out of the PC. I have been looking at receivers for awhile now.

5. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    A digital signal is not affected at all by the quality of a cable. All that matters is that a signal gets from the source to the receiving equipment. 1 or 0, on or off. That's all a digital setup knows. Analog is where frequency and signal degradation become issues.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    I do believe i'm quite satisfied with my analogue headphone jack 5.1 system.

Don't see any reason to shell out loads of money on an incredibly expensive digital 5.1 system.

7. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Auzen have announced a new card..the Auzen Home Theatre 7.1 with HDMI 1.3. Looks Sweet. September this year release...possibly, lol.
    I am tempted, but they have said also that they are gonna release the HDMI xtension board for the prelude as well.
    Hmmm..choices.

8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im busy looking up proper audio systems and am definitly interested in ways to get hdmi audio from my pc. im waiting for tests on the different solutions(both auzentech and asus) though, because i wonder if they add more latency to the video signal(in the same way as input lag on a tft).

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @kwak, I understand, I am very interested in what HDMI has to offer especially in the audio department.

10. Doubledarkhorse

Doubledarkhorse Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 Crossfire 684/1080
    I would love to see the reaction of the guys at Head-fi.org if you posted this nonsense there.

11. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    Personally: no, not looking at moving to HDMI. I mean, the most I've ever given a thought to audio in recent months was when I was looking for a new portable media player and a decent pair of headphones that I could use both at the computer and when commuting to/from home/work.

IMO, things like HDMI and x.1 (where x > 2) setups still feel like the haven of hobbyists and those with more time/money to experiment with this sort of stuff than I would be willing to.

12. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I really though display port was the future not HDMI

But im still on my Analog CRT, so im not even thinkin about DVI lol ...

13. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

well as long as analog is around im on analog

unless they breakout the hdmi into rca/3.5 so i can hook up my numerous subwoofers

then im on the hdmi bandwagon

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    with all of those subs, you would bering your house down to the ground.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    This card has analog output,HDMI 1.3 output AND digital S/PDIF outputs.

With the analog they have a breakout cable with 4 line outs, you could connect the sub output to a splitter etc...and connect up your subwoofers.

16. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    HDMI is just DVI + audio, squished into one cable and designed to make it easier to shackle users with DRM, there is no increase in quality vs current digital connections.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    There's nothing HDMI can do that optic cable can't really.
    I mean in terms of audio. As audio/video standard, i's a clear winner. SCART is ancient stuff...

18. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

LOL.. yeh if you want to demolish house.. call me! :D

i know its got analog
    i know hdmi breakout aint gonna happen - just kidding on that
    10-20 years from now ill still be on analog

19. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

every week i get new bluray movies update player is in order

is that whats next for hdmi audio?

every week new songs/albums new player updates..

http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/press.php
    fixed! :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Dont worry your not gonna be the only one still using analog.I might not even get a HT setup. when my Z5500 die I'd still be using headphones.