Who is happy with their 4870x2?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 9, 2008.

?

Are you a happy 4870x2 owner?

1. YES VERY PLEASED

27 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. NO EXTREMELY UNHAPPY

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. UNSURE AS OF YET

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    I think ATi needs to rewrite the drivers and software for this generation of gfx.. its cheaper to work on a single set of drivers for every card but its also problematic and very unstable.

Hopefully the "big revolution" they speak about the upcomming drivers is something like this, and it would be very welcome.

Im not a 4870X2 owner ( yet ;) ) but i hope to see some improvements on their software before deciding to buy one or not.
    Dont want to make the same mistake again and buy something just for its power and not for the stability/quality of drivers, + the warranty would be nice ^^ EVGA SHOULD GO ATI :(

2. Dethred

Dethred Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATI HD4870x2
    EVGA has gone south. I RMA'ed my 8800GTX 2.5 weeks ago, paid for advanced RMA 2nd day air, and it finally arrived last friday. In the box, was a heavily scratched card with a crack in the shroud and a screw from the card rolling around in the plastic shell. I called on Friday and they're still beating around the bush to get me a decent replacement card.

I'm going to get on the phone with them in a minute and see if my 2nd day RMA can arrive before the end of the 3rd week. This is the 3rd time they have taken over 2 weeks for an RMA through EAR.

3. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    Heh, they arent perfect, still better than Saphire/Powercolor/XFX rma :p (yes i had/have gfx of all those brands and had some issues with them)

4. Dethred

Dethred Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATI HD4870x2
    I'll take your word on it.

5. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I am really happy with mine. I replaced 2 8800gt in sli for this one and it makes a big difference IQ/performance/noise etc.

Again...really happy !!

beta 8.8s.

6. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    i really don't know if i'm happy, i just finish playing GRID at 8xaa 1920x1200 and it was 60fps never dropped below BUT is very annoying that i get a lot of crashes doing simple things, (not crashing playing games). sometimes i open CCC to set up AA and selecting from box to edge it would freeze my computer. switching fast from different profiles also crash my system. coming from nvidia i'm really disappointed, my system is pretty stable (cpu and ram department) using intel burn test. so this is all coming from the 4870x2. 8.9 beta are more stable right now less crashes.

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming

is it a fresh install?

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    You are able to run COD4 with 8xaa with edge detect on? So that gives you a total of 24xcfaa and at that resolution... I'm sure you got brilliant FPS with that either that or your lying.

9. xgportal

xgportal New Member

GPU:
    Gygabite HD 5870
    Peeps,

I've got this card running on an EVGA 780I SLI
    (getting some weird "have optional rom but can not invoke at boot time")

Other than that, I'm using the 8.54 drivers and everything runs smooth as butter.

No game crashes, well now and then but thats cos I push everything to the limit, OC'ing and so on.

Other than that, no issues what so ever.

This card rocks and I will absolutely get me a CrossfireX mobo and a second one.

Greetz :banana:

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Crossfire or maybe just the X2 right now (either hardware or software limitation) lacks tripple buffering for Vysnc. If you are having an issue with Vysnc, its because of the lack of tripple buffering.

The only game I didnt seem to have a problem with vsync with was CS source, I imagine running 350-150FPS had enough head room not to need TB.

And yes, I am very happy with my benchmarks. Only thing is that COD4 runs better in XP x64 but Crysis, Stalker, etc run better in Vista x64.

11. airblazer

airblazer Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 2x 5870 1GB

Can send you on the fraps logs if you like.:)
    Was getting around 64fps but this was down to only 1 gpu being used in the pci-e slot nearest the cpu.
    As soon as I moved it to the furthest slot both gpus was detected and ran fine.
    FPS stayed steady then at approx 92fps.
    In COD4 single player reviews were saying 160fps at 2650x1600.
    I'm sure multiplayer is a lot harder on the card.
    And edge detect is more optimised than the box option.
    There was a good article on it somewhere recently.
    I'll see if I can root it out.

One more thing..I could be wrong about the 8xAA.
    I'm selecting Edge detect within CCC but leaving it as application determined.
    Is selecting the max AA/AF in COD4 8x AA and 16xAF?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. airblazer

airblazer Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 2x 5870 1GB
  13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Tripple buffering can be forced with RivaTuner's D3D Overrider, which works just fine.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Really?

15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes. Vsync works in every game I've tried, and FPS is constant like it should. Try for yourself.

16. SaintEpsilon

SaintEpsilon Member

GPU:
    2 x Ati Radeon 4870X2
    So happy about mine that I had to have two 4870x2, I migrated from 8800GTX.
    Of course theres been some driver issues but the primary issue has been temperature control, however once I had it setup properly through profiles it hasn't bothered me.
    I'm currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky with full dynamic shadows dx 10 and everything at maximum viewrange etc, maximum AA and I never go below 35 fps.

17. sammyflinders

sammyflinders New Member

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 X2 2GB
    I'm happy with mine. I was hoping to be 'blown away' when i loaded up Crysis, and wasnt, but that was my own unrealistic expectation to be blamed, not the cards.

It has impressed me immensely in other titles, such as COD4, Unreal Tournament 3 etc.

I previously had 2 3870's running in crossfire, and i remember at first i was HUGELY dissapointed in the performance....but as time went by and the drivers become more and more optimised playing titles like COD4 became a whole new ball game.

So if ATI continues in that vain I expect some great things from this card over the coming months.

18. Ghettorat

Ghettorat Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 ClassifiedSLI
    I also had those wavy lines. Thought it was my monitor too, but the issue disappeared with the 8.53 betas. The problem was there on 8.8 official and 8.54 betas for me. It would disappear with vsync on, but i dont use vsync in most games because of the laggy feeling.
    Now with vsync off and 8.53 betas the waves are gone.

19. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    It was the opposite for me in crysis, I was 'blown away' when I was running it at 1920x1200 very high(shaders,texture and water) and high settings with 4xAA, it looks amazing and never drop below 30fps (only on explosions) avg 55 (I think). It was impossible to run at those settings with my 8800gt sli.

20. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    At stock speeds, yes. But they suck at overclocking. My 3870x2's would take a masive overclock compared to these. And now they are trying to lock us out of the card's bios.

3870x2 stock 825/900, oc 932/965.

4870x2 stock 750/900, oc 840/950.