White Noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cong153, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Cong153

Cong153 Member

GPU:
    ATI Moblity HD3470 256MB
    Hi,
    I'm having problems with a computer that my dad gave to me. Everything runs fine but there is always white noise playing through the speakers. The white noise stays is coming from the computer because I have tried using my earphones and they still come out with white noise, the volume control on the computer does not change it at all. I have no idea what is going on, could someone please help me?

2. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Sounds like your getting some kind of interference, EMI/RF related. Just to be clear, you are using onboard sound correct?

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can u fill out ur specs plze..

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Check if it's the sound of your microphone coming through the speakers by lightly tapping on the microphone.

5. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    I've had similar problems with few old computers using integrated cards. Any amount of trying to adjust the drivers didn't help.

So there are some things that you can do:
    • Install the newest driver that you can find for your board (if you have problem finding it, just write what board do you have).
    • As inklimited had suggested - try to see, if you have direct audio pass-through from your microphone input to speaker/headphone output. Basically you can mute microphone in the OUTPUT sound devices.
    • Some of the old PC cases had problems with interference coming from front panel connections. Long wires didn't have proper isolation on them. So try to disconnect front panel wire from the board.
    • Check for any external power supplies that are very near to your computer: speakers, desk lamps, printers etc. Especially poorly made transformer power supplies can make a lot of EM interference.
    • Connect your computer to the electric socket through power strip with surge protection and power filters. Be sure not to connect your lamp or any kind of old power supply to power strip. For testing just connect computer and monitor.
    • Disconnect analog audio cable from your optical drive - nowadays every software is capable of digital playback
    • Try to move your computer (for testing) to different place with just the monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to see, if there are some other sources of EM nearby.

After doing all that you still have white noise, you could borrow PCI soundcard from your friend and try it. Or you can just buy simplest PCI soundcard on the market. Shouldn't be more than equivalence of $10-15.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  6. Cong153

Cong153 Member

GPU:
    ATI Moblity HD3470 256MB
    If onboard sound means it's integrated onto the motherboard then, yes, I'm using onboard sound.

7. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    A cheap PCI sound card should answer your question. This should help.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I found out that for a while, depending on the clockspeed and voltage of the CPU, it will affect the onboard audio chip on my motherboard (ALC883). If the voltage dipped below 1.120V it'll cause popping and a small whine noise. Once I upped the voltage by limiting my CPU's throttle via CnQ, the problem ceased to exist.

I'd also recommend getting a sound card. Sound cards also make things sound better, so if one's investing in a sound card, they should spend a bit more. I recommend this instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132013

deltatux

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Good job Cong, Phatkat, and Deltatux.

OP, you can also get a card like This or something within it's class if you are on the audiophile side of the game. Also, there are many good reviews of soundcards on this site and a lot of good knowledge in the Audio section of the site as well. :)

10. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    some cheap speakers are not elctro magnetic shielded and any wireless/radio devices can interfere with them thereby causing white noise.

As stated above definitely check your drivers and check your mic. settings int he control panel too.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Here's one...$12.50
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=293647071

12. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    That ought to do the trick well!!!

And of course...Awesome Job Pillmonster!!!

13. Cong153

Cong153 Member

GPU:
    ATI Moblity HD3470 256MB
  14. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
  15. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280