White dots; artifacts? or glitches?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by solidsnake313, Jan 17, 2005.

1. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    hi there. i've finally OC'ed the card and i've totally checked different tests, and no artifacts at all. but very very rarely, when i play HL2 or VampireMBL (SOURCE engine both), i get some flickering white dots for an instance on the walls or floors. it doesn't happen anywhere else or in other games.
    i was wondering if it's an artifact problem (and so should i reduce my OC values?) or is it just a minor glitch with the SOURCE engine?
    thanx in advance.

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    This is common. Some games can be more sensitive to overclocking than others. I remember the same being said of the Doom 3 engine. It probably is your overclock, so down clock it a few mhz and give it another go.

3. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    Little white dots aka snow is often a sign of too overclocked memory, halo is known to be quite picky about this. If you get a lot of snow in halo you should reduce you memory OC.

4. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800nu OC (385/785) 12p6v
    I read a post on steam forums , that reminds me of this

thread link
    - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=229723

theres a screenshot in that thread , if this isn't your problem just ignore this post lol

5. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 360/1100
    roflcopter do you play cod uo, I think I saw you in a server.

6. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 360/1100
    Wow there are some real idiots in that thread. One guy says he can get 6800ultras for 270. And another guy says a 9800 pro is better that a 6800u. Ahahaha.

7. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800nu OC (385/785) 12p6v
    Na i don't play COD, i want to buy it but no $ :[ .. and ya i know theres some misinformed people there , just giving him the direct link where a moderater quoted gabe newell saying its just the engine and a screenshot to see if thats the problem he came across :D

8. GeForceOfCourse

GeForceOfCourse Master Guru

GPU:
    BGF 6800 OC
    I get white dots in halo also. They don't go away even when I set when I don't overclock. ( I think I oced too high)

Will this become a big problem ??

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    WHITE DOTS = OVERHEATING GPU. Its never good thing

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    If it's anything like 3DMark, white dots appear only when mem OC is too high, back down a lil. When GPU cannot cope, you'd see odd triagular/odd shaped artifacts....that's a sign for you to stop everything and back down on the OC too.

11. GeForceOfCourse

GeForceOfCourse Master Guru

GPU:
    BGF 6800 OC
    I went back to default but I still get white dots...can I fix that?

12. 73av8r

73av8r Guest

Possibly not, you may have fried your core...

I would check your cooling solution, and verify the drivers again...

13. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    Not necessarily, white dots could be either a hot GPU or memory overclocked too high, however they look different, it's hard to explain but memory white dots tend to stay put if you don't move around with your mouse, while CPU white dots are more random.

14. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    I am afraid there's a good chance it will.

15. qazaq

qazaq New Member

I have the same problem, except...

Just noticed this thread when I googled my problem :)
    On Half-Life 2 Episode 1
    I've got the random white dots...And not matter what I do to my in-game video settings (change it to the lowest possible or the highest) the dots never go away...although with 6x MSAA anti-aliasing, the dots to get reduces. I tried setting the fps_max to 60...it only made the problem MUCH worse and setting it higher fps_max 500 did nothing (I don't think my card can really render that fast anyway...)

So anyway, the difference is that I have never overclocked anything in my computer...I have a radeon 9800 xt with a MASSIVE heat sink...and I have run Half-life without problems before...that is, before this last reformat. I think its something in the Catalyst settings, but I can't really figure it out. I also play CS:S with almost no problems...so...I don't get it...

The dots are noticable just about every where...but they congregate on static objects...like I don't see them on moving smoke or birds or anything...

Also I have been testing the settings and everything on the menu video-thing...where it shows the big tower thing? so none of this is in-game, although it does happen in-game...

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give a detailed explanation...

Thanks for reading it :),
    Any suggestions?